Competition Starting 23/9/07 Ending 21/10/07

Hey All,To enter this months competition tell us about 'The One That Got Away'[/color:1b2fxqp6]The winner will be selected on detail and creativity and judged by myself, fred & butters.The prize will be a $50 voucher from [u:1b2fxqp6]one[/u:1b2fxqp6] of the following stores(winner to select the store)Adelaide Bait & TackleCompleat Angler WallarooBinks MarineSalisbury Dive & TackleworldTodd's Tackle & BaitTackleworld Pt AdelaideAll Entries must be posted in this topicEntry open to South Australian residents onlyPrize to be collected from selected storeGood Luck,Aarron

i know beeny boy has a similar story with a big gummy.. after a pretty long and hard fight.. a bad gaff shot and the gummy was free again.. {SMILIES_PATH}/cheesy.gif i saw the funny side... benny boy was spewing tho.. {SMILIES_PATH}/tongue.gif

stoopid me then {SMILIES_PATH}/tongue.gif Well that was a good story, but another one happend on this trip which i like better.We were fishing from a boat in the south western corner of KI in April. It was the second day of our trip and already we felt the pain of dragging fish from 200ft the day before. Just after lunch i hooked a massive cuttlefish, i wound up slowly and eventually the skipper sunk the gaff into the ugly critter, but not before he was able to squirt a bucket load of ink into the current.It looked more like an oil spill than an ink shot!Anyway about a minute later one of the guys spots this massive shark following up the ink trail "white" someone yells and we all crowd the back of the boat to get our first glimpse of what we thought was a great white.The shark moved within 5 metres of the back of the boat and we were able to determine the shark as being a blue shark, (not a mako)This thing was massive, at close to 9ft it was an awesome sight to see it charge a pinky snapper which was being brought in. The snapper was hurled overboard before the shark could get to it however, and in the meantime a fella had placed a big chunk of trevally on some wire and let it drift out naturally. Within seconds the sharks sights the offering and cleanly chomps the entire piece. It ran for a few metres before striking cleaning. The blue shark charged off pretty quickly stripping a fair amount of line off the reel. The motors were started and our chase had begun. The dorsal fin could be seen 200mtrs away and so we followed. After 30mins of battle the guy was spent, so he handed the rod over to me and i had a play. It was a tug of war and the shark wasn't giving in. We chased it down every time she tried to escape. I handed the rod over to the next guy when i became spent and so on..After around 1hr 20mins we finally had the shark tiring and starboard side of the vessel. The captain had a slug gun onboard for situations like these to try a minimise damage this shark would cause if we could get it onboard. We all gathered around excited at what we ( as team ) had just caught. However the shot fired and missed!The angler at the time was unprepared for this and the shark reacted hard diving straight under the boat!There was nothing we could do but watch the rod snap back into mid air as the line went ping on the prop! :cry: The big shark had won her freedom, exhausted she cruised back down to the depths of KI!here is a pic of the shark.... size=413http://www.fishyorkepeninsula.com/images/attachments/hbP2XLi7__blue.JPG[/img]

The 1 metre FlatheadI watched my Old Man catch a massive lizzard off somerton. The fish were going off and we had a heap of wicked whiting in the esky already plus a few small flatties. The old mans rod starting peeling line on his little 1000 shimano sienna. I caught 3 more whiting while he was pulling this monster in. He got it next to the boat and grabbed his landing net. I offered to help but he was quite capable. I stopped fishing so i could watch this disgraceful attempt at landing a fish. The net was one of those with a slide down handle ones where you had to push a button and slide the handle out. Of course the handle wouldn't budge so he tried to land it with the handle still in the net. This didn't work so he put the rod in the holder and tugged the shit out of it. Then the line then went around the motor.I stepped up to help when i saw the flattie was 1mt long. Dad put the net down in the bottom of the boat so he could untagle the line from the motor. Once the line was free from the motor i grabbed the net but had got a lure caught in the mesh of the net. The lure was connected to another rod so we were in all types of trouble. This poor flattie was almost dead after waiting 5 mins now. The look on my old mans face said he was about to do something stupid. He tried to lift this 4-5 kg fish into the boat on 6lb frayed mono line..........Just as the line snapped i got the net free from the lure and handed it to dad. The Flattie swam away so slowly as dad tried to net it as it swam off. There was a silence for about 5 seconds .............. then a splash.........It seems the net slipped out of his hand...He really chucked the net at the flatty as it swam away.I got him another net after that with a fixed head and tangle free mesh just in case big liz came back.

March of 2003 a mate and i loaded up the fourby and headed again to the murray mouth for mulloway we arrived at 330pm and there was a reall fishy looking gutter around 300m before the mouth out went the rods and the usual waiting game begun My mate caught 2 bronzies just little tackers and i was casting a gold allrounder lure when i looked back at my other rod which got a big bite then WACK my rod flew out of the rod holder flying across the sand i quickly grabbed it as it was comming towards me i then sunk the hooks hard and the mulloway took a 20m run then paused and shook its head and took of again swimming parallel along the beach after a few more big runs she just kept crusing along the gutter towards goolwa car park i had her in real shallow and my mate started to walk out into the crashing surfe he then grabbed my line with the gaff in the other The fish was thrashing about then the basterd just come of i w2as absoulotly shatted and even worse w2hen he said it was around the 20kg mark STILL full of adrenaline and shocked at what just happend i set the sabre rod and calcutta 700 up again and casted her back in the same spot i had hooked that one When the bait setteld in the deep channel i just yelled out f..k why me as i wondered what could of been it happend again WACK out the rod holder again rod flying towards the water i dove like a man whom was gonna loose his 1150 dollar set up once i caught the rod by the but i struck and the fished pulled down and spat the hooks now i was double pissed of after that the big fish dissapered and after dark i caught a mulloway around 40cm then drove home totaly devistated ive put years of time into mulloway and im still waiting for that biggy PART 2 down the murray mouth again this time in december 2006 fished the same gutter again this time it wasnt as good it was around midnight when my same mate got a big mulloway run he picked up his rod and stricked the fish pulled harder and burnt the hell out of his thumb so he took it of the spool and the 975 international bird nested up big time and snapped only if he pushed up the leaver befor striking things may had of been different AT 2am i was laying next to my rod with the but burried firmly in the sand and resting on the rod holder i learnt my lesson now from my previous experience at the mouth at times you needto set the reels drag around 1kg because the rip makes the reel run al the time any way my freind noticed a bend starting to curve on my rod so i jumped up and felt the weight straight away i hit it straight away and the reel screamed and the mulloway ran straight out for 20m then it turned and swam straight at me i called it for a small one and when the line came up tight again it ran again with some serious drag pressure now i new i was on to a big fish with big head shakes and it ran hard again and again i then got it back into the shallows again and the head shaking began again as it sat there i had full load on the rod and the basterd wouldnt move and i was yelling this is a big fish hes nearly done then the rod buckled over again then there was no weight when i winded the line in my trace line snapped near the hooks another lesson lernt never use 60lb for trace line i just got slack and used a trace of of my snapper rod from thje previous weeks fishing i was cut and really dissapointed it hurts when you lose big mulloway as you never know when the next hook up will be for all i know it could be years away :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: ill be back there again this summer BENNYBOY THAT SHARK PICTURE IS EXCELLENT

deffinatly was a big shark... estimates from the skipper was 10-11ft i thought.. but she had to work hard to get her freedom and she got it... Fred that would have been very hard to watch a big flatty just float back with the current just out of reach... I think i would have launched the net aswell hahah :lol:

another time i was down there i was casting lures wading out with the wet suit in to the rip there was about 15 of us and there was no fish all morning people started leaving now and there was 3 of us left and the tide was getting very low i was really felling like a smoke so i walked back to the car and sat down and had a puff then you guessed it the 2 left out there both walked back in together both with 45lb mulloway each BLOODY SMOKES :lol:

that would be frustrating fred with a flatty of that size, especially when you know you had it beaten and on the surface 5 mins ago and fumbling hands and excitement killed it for ya's {SMILIES_PATH}/sad.gif Addict, sounds like your overdue for a big one then, that's a whole lot of bad luck, especially when the species is mulloway, considering there elusiveness it would've driven me mad already :lol:

I once had huge Snook off Wallaroo Jetty.It was cruising under the lights, refusing to take anything.I caught a small gar on my light rod and quickly put it on live.Straight away he was on,As I lifted him up the jetty[no crab net] I just about had him up and he flipped hit the side and came free.It sort of just hung there for a second , it was like a bad dream.Then what seemed like slow motion it dropped to the water, like a big turd it went plop, just layed on the surface then slinked off to the inky depths.It was the biggest one I"d ever seen[of course]LOL

Hey calMe and a mate caught a snook in the boat trolling one day. It went just over 1mt and was fat like a 1.25lt coke bottle. It had teeth like a dog. When my mate went to weigh it in the digi scales i turned around fto get the camera. I heard and ahhhh and then splash. It shook so hard it got off the scale and apperently landed in the water. So no pictureAnother mate marty has his fish measure sticker on the side of his boat. Every now and again when he's measuring a whiting they flap out of his hand and back to freedom.

This is prolly my fav story....happened about 4 years ago...One morning in summer butters and i made the run out to the end of OH breakwater, we always scored salmon trout and the odd bigger fish too.We realised about half way out though that the tide was lower than we thought and knew our chances we slim but headed out anyway.Cast after cast with the lures for nothing. It was about 10:30 when we decided to burley up the 1kg block of pillies we had. Unfortunately for us we had only brought lures....no hooks or sinkers!! {SMILIES_PATH}/sad.gif after some solid burleying we noticed two large shadows moving quickly and attacking the burley as it fell to the bottom. We fumbled like hell trying to find a spare hook which may have fallen into the tackle tray by accident but no luck :cry: butters makes the first call and says they're mullies! But after a few more aggressive burley attacks we notice they're actually a pair of thumping silver trevally, the kind that would push 10lb's!!! :shock: :shock: :shock: Butters thinks fast and loads up a plastic's jig head with some pillie fillet and sends it down but the fish are wise and the bait sinks too fast. Both of us keep trying, butters uses bait and i jig small lures. Eventaully one of the fish can't resist and goes butters pillie. On your basic 6-8kg o/h snapper rod with 15lb mono this thing charged off.The fight lasted all of 10 seconds as the big trevally cut butters off down deeper on something..The fish never returned and we were left shell shocked at what we had just seen, but more to the point of what we just lost!

Nice yarn Bennyboy.I love catching trevally no matter what size.It's alway the way if you leave something behind it's alway the thing you need.I fished a breakwater up in NSW and ill a lttok was soft plastics and hard bodies. I fished for about 3 hours with out a touch. As i was swapping over a plastic for a hard body a massive school of Tailor stopped just in front of me. Fish ranging in size from 1 to 3 kg feedind at my feet. I switched quickly to the hard body and got ready to cast as they swam off in the distance. I chased them down the breakwater jumping rocks like a mountain goat. Finally caught the school but they were out of casting distance for the hard body. I switched to a metal lure and looked up and they were gone. I'm sure they were looking at me scrambling along the rocks and laughing their nuts off. Just staying with in sight and seeing how fast i could run. If i had bait i reckon i would have got into em.

LOL guys, :lol: You might get a laugh out of this one.My brother and I for years have fished a tidal beach north of adelaide for the primo YFW that hunt the channels and sandbanks there.This one trip as per usual we got there early and went about the backbreaking but neccessary ritual of digging live seaweed worms.Once we had our bait the long 2 k walk out following the receeding tide to the best channels.The Whiting were touchy at first and we had to work for them, but finally we started to get a good school on the bite.One after the other they were put into our shoulder bags till it was decided a beer back at the pub was going to top off a great session.Halfway back in I said to my brother could I have a look at the big 40+ centimetre one he caught.He opened his shoulder bag and peered in as to look for it, but in horror there was only three fish in there, nothing like the 18 or so that he had caught.What we discovered was a hole in the bottom of the bag and all the fish he caught had swam straight out LOL.He was actually catching and releasing them without knowing.Cheers {SMILIES_PATH}/cool.gif

Catch and release YFW that is gold Cal.Me and a couple of mates catch 24 squid and 8 KG whiting on day. We took the heads off them and put them all (including the whiting)in the scaling bag to clean them on the way back to the boat ramp. So you can imagine the scaling bag weighed about 8-10kg. About 4 times the reccomended weight. We got the boat up to speed and i chucked the bag up in the air and when the rope tightened it broke. We went back and couldn't find the bag. It must have sank. So after a whole days fishing we went home with 24 squid heads.

Yeah i remember getting smoked that day on the breakwater.. that thing had a rocket up its ass i reckon... Cal - that is a nice catch and release story.. that is classic...I had a mate tell me a story similar to yours freddy..He was fishing the outer harbour breakwater and had got onto a couple of salmon trout and legal whiting.. finished up.. cleaned them all up on the breakwater put all the fillets in a bag and went down to the water to wash his hands... while he was down at the water one of those big seagulls.. (the brown ones on steriods) swooped down and grabbed the bag of fillets.. flew straight past him and half way across the channel dropped the fillets.. :shock: :lol:

Yeah Butters, I can go a similar story to that one, our fishing group (War Veterans Fishing Group) spent a week at Pt Vic in June 2 years back. The weather was particularly nasty this Wednesday and we all decided that it was to rough to go out, so we all thought it was better to sit inside, keep warm and dose ourselves up with medication. About 2.30 in the afternoon when the weather broke a teeny weeny bit, Sid and Colin got sick of sitting around, so decided to give it a go in close, so not to get bashed about too much, anyway around 4pm they were back at the holiday units, giving the rest of us heaps for not going out, and boasting of their fishing prowess, Colin caught one KGWhiting between them so we all gathered around to watch him clean and fillet this poor lonely miserable Whiting, he threw all the trimmings to the few seagulls that were constantly hanging around, when he went to clean his gear, while bending over to wash his knives and hands one Gull swooped onto the cleaning table and pinched the lot in one clean attack, the last thing Colin saw of his Whiting was as it dissapeared into the paddock behind the fence.

With the old memory ticking over I remember back in about 71/72 I spent some time in WA after I got out of the Army and I was trying to settled down again, I was somewhere way past Geraldton, fishing off a jetty, not doing any good, when a young lass caught a bloody big squid and was having trouble bringing it up on the jetty, being the perfect gentleman that i was, I offered to help her bring it onto the jetty without loosing it, anyway after a short time, I managed to get it on the deck and she was absolutely stoked to get such a whopper, all she wanted was the tube, so off with his head and away she went to clean it up, never to be seen again. The story doesn't end there, I had my heavy rod with me so I thought that with this big squid head I could get myself a decent fish, I rigged it up with a triple ganged hook, then with a balloon attached I heaved it out as far from the jetty as i could. After about 20 minutes of watching a balloon and trying for another of these big squid, the rod with the balloon started to take off, by the time I grabbed it, there must have been 50 or more yards of line peeled of and still going like you have never seen before, at this stage I was all fingers and thumbs, trying to get control of myself, my rod and whatever was on the end of it. After a few moments, it all seemed to slow down so I tightened up the reel a touch and started to bring him in after a few yards he was off again, this went on for a while6 or 7 minutes or so and I dont think I was getting very much of my line back, I put a bit more pressure on him and things were starting to go my way, and I was reeling him in to easy, all of a sudden he turned his head and the last thing I saw was my balloon heading off towards South Africa at a million miles per hour, as one of the blokes on the jetty said. "Just as well as you would never have got him on the jetty". Smart arse.

This isnt about the One That Got Away, but stuff it I found it funny so here goes. {SMILIES_PATH}/cool.gif A mate and I took our missuses up the hills, the plan being we drop them off at the pub , so they could have a couple and play the pokies.And we would sneak down to my fave resevoir redfin spot for an hour or so then pick them up.Now , yes as we know its not excactly legal to fish Ressies, but we were all young and silly once I guess. :shock: We snuck over the fence , and carefully and slyly hid in this out of the way spot as to avoid being seen and proceeded to fish.After no fish in about half an hour it wasnt looking good.I heard what sounded like a girls voice and the laughter of women, which was strange as we were in the middle of nowhere.My mate sneaked around the trees for a look see , and quickly came back looking all excited saying "Youve gotta take a look at this!"Not three but four young nubile sheilas were going for a skinny dip and stripped off in nothing but their knickers!I kid you not.And were unaware of our presence. :shock: I quietly said to my mate weve gotta let them know we were there otherwise they would think we were a coupla pervs , it was a tense situation!So I plucked up the courage to make myself visible, and waved as I said "Hi girls!"They all turned and looked , very shocked and embarrassed at first, but realising we had been sitting there for a while one of them lifted her arm and waved back .We kept fishing for a while, and once back to pick our missuses up I told my mate, probably better we didnt say anything about it to them, it was our little secret.Being the big mouth he is, after an hour or so he blabbed, my missus spewed at me for not telling her straight away[you know how women are]and was in a foul mood for ages.Dropped me right in the shite.LOLIts one trip I"ll never forget thats for sure! :lol: Cheers {SMILIES_PATH}/cool.gif

my lost fish happened late last year, i had been fishing this spot in the port for over 20 trips by this time for nothing more than one hit. when my float dissapeared and line screemed off the reel. my mate Rob jumped up started the boat and untied us to give chase. we chassed for thirty or so meters and then the thing decided ti run back towards the structure we were on. i locked up and also used the boat to stop him when he slowly started to rise up and stop. i had him on the surface about to wind in a few thrashes on the surface and snap. he bit through. f*#k i yelled i worked so hard for that fish and in 5 mins i had lost my prize. ps using 60lbs jinkai. the most devostating was this one though. i had been hounding my mates to join me on another mulloway trip to the same spot earlier in the week but they all objected addict included.. so i set out alone. i caught 7 livies which two i decided to let go as you rarly use more than one. got to the spot bang one down no hookup. bang again no hookup again. then nothing i fell asleep. 2.30am i woke to a screeming 975 ratchet. i jumped up and struck up solid. it was big and headshaking violently. i untied started the engine and gave chase, in doing so i crashed the boat into the structure and got stuck. i freed myself and went back to the beast. i followed it for atleast 50 meters until i got ontop of it. i almost had him out of danger. i pumped and punped for no line gained. then another problem arose, he swam around my other line which i forgot about. i stayed calm and passed the rod under the other and came up hard again. then i didnt realise why but i must of scared him this time and in a split second he excellerated 20 meters to the last bit of structure and he was gone. devo i drove back to the spot. then i realised i had no more live bait. i was so mad at myself for releasing thoes others and just went home. i had no sleep that night and still think about the one that got away....

hey butters did you read R-seas post of the 11kg fish he got on mullyskings....? that was the night i lost mine. two hours earlyer. and mine would of gone bigger than his. he got that fish in half the time and half the drag. i only had time to untie, start engine drive off and bring up my rod, then it was there for me to net. still cut bout it. i love thoes fish.

Not everybody ever has the opportunity to deck a Kingy over 15k, let alone have it on & at the boat in less than 10mins, only to be lost to the gaffman or worse, the propellor. Thats right, in an almighty lunge under the marlin board whilst the gaffman was slashing at it, the Kingy of a lifetime slid away to freedom with a 18" torpedo squid & a 10/0 hanging out of its mouth. Devastating, you bet. Piccy attached with hookup & note the tails of hung 30+k Kings from earlier in the night. Finatic size=600http://www.fishyorkepeninsula.com/images/attachments/08fwmpmy__kym_hooked_35k_kingy_to_be_lost_at_prop.JPG[/img]

Guest xtrafishyfish

Howdy, I just copied and pasted this "one that got away" from another local fishing site that I had originally posted in April 2006 (the date on my camera was incorrectly set as this event had occured on the 27th April 2006 of Glenelg)I decided to take the day off work today and go fishing for some whiting whilst they're moving through at the moment.We arrived on the spot where my father had been getting whiting earlier this week with great anticipation only to find our baits were being sucked off as soon as they hit the bottom. I didn't bother taking squid today as I thought we'd just use fresh cockles from the bait shop but unfortunately they were out of fresh so we had to use soft frozen cockles without the added bonus of squid. I thought I'd put a yo-zuri squid jig over to catch a squid as we were getting peeved off that we couldn't keep a bait on..... anyway, when I checked the squid jag I got the familiar pull downs of a big squid or cuttlie so took him easy on the way up and then I started to feel a few head shakes so I realised it wasn't a squid or cuttlie but possibly a snapper..... got him up alongside the boat and handed the line to my father so I could get the gaff and the bloody brass wire eyelet at the top of the jig broke off Posted Image so we watched as it swam off. rushed to get our snapper rods out and baited up and in the course of the next hour as the school of snapper passed thru' twice we managed to boat 3 and lost a couple more fish on their runs.Ended up with six whiting (the snapper obviously hunted the whiting off) and 3 snapper on the spot (had to use one of the whiting for snapper bait)The biggest snapper went 7 1/2 lb and the 2 smaller ones went 2 1/2 lb approx so I'd call the one we lost on the squid jig at between 10 and 12 lbI didn't bother resetting the time and date on my camera as the boat was rolling side on with the wind and tide so the date is incorrectPosted ImageAnd here's a pic of the whiting reef now aka snapper reef Posted ImagePosted Image

Guest Brent61southoz

remember when we/you were young and stupid or just trying to impress ya mates. :twisted: place :ardrossan jettytime; around 9.00pm a long time agofishing with a group of mates , i had a great idea :idea: , to hammer a nail in and tie my rod butt to it just incase.just so i didnt look silly i didnt do it {SMILIES_PATH}/cheesy.gif the result: a custom made rod and penn 6/0 buzzed up a huge birdsnest , tangled , and flew off the northern side never to be seen again :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: no idea what it was , never will.ive learnt my lesson, never ever leave your gear or venture to far from it when its quietbm61