Fishing rod design

So ive been aske d several times to throw my hat in the ring re tackle comps to support the siteThose who dont know me I own the KOMODO fishing brand and the show store TACKLEBUSTERSOver the past two years I have designed and been very succesful in the sale of fishing tackle both interstate and locally. I have even been picked up by an international company who distribute my tackle. I design over 100 rods and 60 reels that I have made overseas by the same companies that produce mitchell abu garcia and shakespeare to name a couple of the major well known brandsI am looking for a fishing rod design that is not avasilable in the usual market place - last year I designed a 9' light surf for ladies teens and oaps which was lighter, made from carbon but with some glass for flexibility but with a short handle rather than a 3' handle and it rests on your hipSo... the comp is come up with an idea, design a rod, drawing, actual physical examples are better with a description of how and why it works better than whats availableSpecial consideration will be given if it suits local conditionsPrizeI will put the name of the designer on the rod and reference them in marketting (which may lead to better things) and I will make a run of 100 rods to be sold locally. The designer will get a selection of 10 of the rods for himself that he can keep sell donate or useThere may be more than one prize (if there is more than one fantastic design) and it will end in 4 weeks or as soon as I decide there is a outright winner(s)I will run with So thats what you,ve asked for.... go to it guys :whistle: I can be pm,d messaged or emailed at komodofishingtackle@gmail.com or on here through the site

well done for getting behind tha site with a great comp like this, pretty sure most of tha site would love to put there name to a rod design, I sure as bloody hell would, i'd love nothn more than to take my boy out fishn with something I had designed B) do you have a list of current rods that you stock so that we are not doubling up on an item you may have already designed cheers 4THA

You can see some of my designs on the tackle busters.com.au website or catch up with me personally or on the phone with your ideasI will be at the 4wd camping and fishing show in 3 weeks in saJust think about what's not readily available now, could have been around years ago I can make the rod in hollow glass, carbon, or even solid fibreglass with modern fittings, travel rods are my favouriteRegardsStuart0405320862

Had some great ideas starting to come throughKelvin I can get virtually anything I don't know the blanks you have mentioned thoughJust had two containers arrive today with new samples. If anyone wants to catch up I'm in victor Harbor this weekend unloading and I've got chance to chatI leave next week for a 7 week tour inc china and Adelaide for a quick returnKeep the ideas coming guys

IMG_2635.JPGHere's my first idea. I have the Komodo 13 foot rods but so far changed the guides. I have kept the original guide spacing but changed to larger sized guides and tapering down quickly as per Fuji new concept system. Guides are extra high double foot size 20, size 12, then double foot size 8, double foot size 6 x 2 and single foot size 4 x 5 and size 4 tip. The guides will still pass a 15lb leader knot.The extra high stripper guide is set up for casting and will balance a Daiwa Luvias size 1000 (used for the Onkastompa last year). It will still balance up to a Shimano Stradic 5000 (used about a month ago and caught salmon to 1kg at waitpinga).I can get about 60m distance with a 1oz lead and size 2500 reel and light braid. It makes a great landbased rod for bait fishing, light surf and has taken bream to 2kg, salmon to 1kg, and mullies to 60cm.Further changes I would make would be to go to IM7 or IM 8 graphite for a bit more stiffness.IMG_2634.JPGI also am a fan of minimalistic decorations and bindings and would like a split grip foam butt, then shrink wrap to the reel seat similar to the daiwa seajiggers. Maybe a small amount of foam (5cm) either side of the reel seat.

What I'd really like, and something that can't be found here in Australia, is a 12-13' carbon graphite surf rod that will handle throwing 6oz sinkers plus a decent bait like a squid head or chunk of salmon, is light enough in the tip to show bites well but still has the power down low to handle big mulloway, and is wrapped for overhead use. There are rods like this available in the UK and US, but nothing here, which is unfortunate because it would be the ideal mulloway beach rod for places like Salt Creek and similar locations around the state.Here's an example of what I'm talking about from the UK,http://www.planetseafishing.com/reviews/read/daiwa-theory-thb13m-beach-rod/and some very promising looking blanks from the US, specifically the 12' 4-7oz and 13' 3-6ozhttp://www.carolinacastpro.com/products/cast-pro-series-blanksGuides should be Fuji hardloy or alconite, small foam grips in front and behind the reel seat with rubber shrink tubing and a rubber or foam butt grip (none of those ridiculous wooden sand spikes)

Blarney bMy wife designed a fishing reel. Has a quick release spool similar to the earlybshimano bait runners, rear Drag with press button spool release 3 spoolsPre lined with yellow 6lb line12lb orange lineAnd black 25lb lineJust got bought out b a major companyEasy design.... Just takes some thought for the market3 spools, good design, good price, good seller. It's listening to your market rather than personal ideas that makes the moneyThere's a clue to the winner of the comp

I've got a few ideas for a great kayak rod.7 foot long to clear around the front of the yak. something around 1 1/2lb test curve.Interline blank with the line running on the inside of the blank. The lack of guides makes tip wrapping a thing of the past and also less likely to break if you roll the yak in the surf.(Daiwa seem to be the only one with a reasonable line up of interline rods. Example here) http://daiwafishing.com.au/tmx-interline/IM 6 graphite with a tip large enough to pass a 20lb leader knot. Fat foam grips for comfort (25mm) and also to provide some positive buoyancy and float when balanced with a light 2500 reel. Ideally short butt to sit in a kayak rod holder such as the scotty rod holders.http://www.scotty.com/fishing-gear-equipment/rod-holders/bait-caster-spinning-rod-holder.htmProbably about 20cm of 25mm OD foam butt, small real seat like a Fuji DPS 18mm of equivalent, then another 20cm of 25mm OD foam for a foregrip or even slightly longer to provide buoyancy. Entry guide about 60cm above the reel seat. This rod would be good for surf launching and landing in the yak as there are no guides to get caught. 7 foot is long enough to clear the front of most yaks. Short 20cm butt to fit comfortably in a scotty type rod holder that lost of the kayak fishers use. The foam grips and light IM6 blank would provide enough positive buoyancy to float a small spinning reel if the rod went over the side. (similar to the Okuma Baidarka rods but lighter) http://www.allcoast.com/discussion/ViewTopic.cfm?topic_ID=83968&printerfriendly=trueAnd finally a large enough tip to pass a 20lb leader knot so the rod could be multi purpose to fish for squid and whiting but enough grunt to land snapper.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 5 weeks later...

There may be more than one prize (if there is more than one fantastic design) and it will end in 4 weeks or as soon as I decide there is a outright winner(s)I will run with

I think there's a little while to go still Plankton, finalizing a product design is a lengthy process and i'm sure Komodo will let us know when he's picked a winner!Can't wait to see what he turns out actually, would love an alvey option too in the final design.Unless it's an interline... could you imagine? :blink::blink::blink:

PlanktonTo be honest Ive not really had the response I wanted and only had a few entrantsI have had one entrant who has actually brought a rod design into the shop for beach mulloway fishing which he made himself and at the moment thats the winning design. Although not a unique design it fits in with the local fishing scene We are changing it a little to encompass a sliding reel seat for Alvey style reels :woohoo: We will be running off a sample run in januaryI am happy to keep it open if anyone has any fresh ideas and will offer the same prize if we go and produce a rod to someones designsorry for the lack of update but the new shop has had me flat out :d/

No worries mate, was just wondering as I hadn't seen anything for awhile.I'll be interested to see what you come up with as I've wanted an alternative to what's available for surf mully rods.On another note I can't wait to see the new shop, I spend some time down that way and that area has needed a proper tackle shop.

• 4 weeks later...

How about a 3-4 piece, Fibreglass or graphite (I like Fibreglass), 3.6m surf rod witch casts sinkers from 2-8 ounces plus big baits at a decent price. It would have to feel solid enough to give you confidence in belting out a cast, with a slightly softer tip than most surf rods to detect soapie/St bites.If you have something like that already in shop, let me know

• 5 months later...

So come down and see our award at Tacklebusters 289 Port Elliot Rd Victor harbor  Home of THE ROD TRAIN The worlds largest mobile fishing tackle store

Stuart

Hi Stuart

While on awards, who won the fishing rod design competition ? Haven't seen any results as I may have missed it.

Thanks Reg  B)