Custom Whiting Rod

Hi guys,

unfortunately last weekend when I was reversing my boat into my garage I snapped my whiting rod :unsure:.. Anyway, so now im in the market of either buying a new one or getting one built... I want a nice, high quality rod that will be my boat "whiting" rod. Thinking of going for a PE1-2 blank, 6" length, Fuji sic guides, Fuji deluxe reel seat and solid rear grip (better for boat rod holders). SEED or Sabre are top of my list atm. Want a nice slow action.

Out of the production rods, really considering the Daiwa Catalina BayJjigging Inshore (pe 1.2) felt them at R&A's and they felt great.

All advice welcomed. Thanks!

thanks guys, been having a look and it seems certain blanks were "lighter" than others.  As in ive felt a some PE1-2 rods that have a real slow, light action and felt perfect for whiting, but others have been more suited to small snapper.. I'm happy to go lighter, just thought id start there.. my snapped rod was a daiwa generation black 2-6kg,

I've been using the red Gomoku's in spin with a Diawa 2500 and the overhead with a Daiwa Pluton for whiting where there's a chance of something bigger coming along, otherwise a Shimano Bushy's bait legend "Go to" 6' 3-6kg spin rod with a 2500 daiwa reel for tinny and kayak fishing. I like these because they're all suited to leaving in a rod holder with circle hooks as well as traditional stand and deliver fishing with long shank hooks. I don't mind fishing slightly heavier gear for whiting as it gives me a sporting chance on larger stuff. For whiting, I'd spend a bit less on the rod, because thers plenty of good quality suitable ones off the shelf and lash out on a high end reel.

Cheers for feedback boys.

Nikhum - yeah I have a play with it few weeks ago and felt awesome, also sussed the catalina bay jigger they had theyre too, slightly lighter action again.. might end up this direction I recon.

SF - yeah that's the exact blank I was thinking of going, il go to fishermans paradise and have a look they usually got a few sabres floating around.

Cheers.

• 2 weeks later...

For anyone who was interested,

I went and had a play with a few different rods this past week and last night ended up getting the Daiwa Catalina Bayjigger. It felt amazing in the hand and it has a really nice smooth, parabolic action and was light enough for small whiting,snook, squid etc. and enough grunt down low to fish in some current / bigger lead and for bigger KGW... It has all the nice fruit, Fuji tangle free SIC guides, deluxe reel seat etc and comes with a sweet bag too!

If your in the same boat as I was, go have a look.

Cheers.