so you want a rec fishing license?

• Replies 110
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

This was presented to the Committee more than 6 months ago (July 2016), and hasn't been mentioned since (to my knowledge). It was not a formal submission by the MFA, although one presenter was/is a Bo

I love the RFL - Riverland Football League   Cant wait 

The rec fishing licence is being pushed by the pro fishers to parliament.. Anyone think they are doing it for our good?

Posted Images

I wouldn't mind paying for a licence providing that money goes back into proper management and research, facilities etc.

But if it were to go ahead with an app like the video mentions it would be just too hard and ridiculous for the recreational fishers.

Might be easier to just to drink more and watch the TV fishing repeats ;)

RFL?

Yes please. I'll leave the conspiracy theories to others though.

Either the RFL or ongoing funding for the rec sector is badly needed and has been for decades.

- Although I reckon it'd be easier for the Govt to provide an appropriate level of funding rather than RFL due to the politics.

One or the other is way overdue. Maybe this election?

Cheers,

Bahahaha, thats the dumbest thing I've watched all day.

RFL is a great idea in my books, and having purchased and seen the benefits of RFL's in NSW and VIC it still defeats me how people think it is a bad thing.

sorry can only supply the Hansard copy and Les does not wear a tin foil hat

http://www.recfishcentral.com/web-content/research/msf_2016_bayly.pdf

Yes sir I do...Booma put it sweetly...politics doesn't do anything for anyone....politics just keeps everything the same...theres no goodness or answers there... let alone for our fisheries...imagine there was no drivers licence...no license for tradies....etc...people would be running amok and doing whatever they wanted to...in society we have to obey the law to keep our basic human rights...you disobey the law or break the law...you pay a fine or you get your rights taken away from you and you go to jail...now you go to any metro jetty any day of the week and people who don't care or are ignorant are doing whatever they want....taking undersized fish and crab left right and center....breaking the law...to me no rec fishn license means nothings going to change and things are going to get worse...less fish....I don't understand the argument against a rec fishn license...pollies only listen to their pay masters...theyre there to do what whoevers paying them wants them to do...theyre not there for us....or havnt we figured that out yet :blush:  :laugh:  :facepalm: 300,000 rec fishers in SA they rekn...ok...minus the pensioners and kids who don't have to pay lets guess for arguments sake and say theres 150,000 fishers paying for a license here...150,000 x $40 = $6,000,000.....with that money we can do some serious good and change things around for the better..education programs...more fisheries officers to enforce the law...fish restocking...and a whole range of other things which I'm not smart enough to put into words on here right now....im not for the pro fishermen or for capitalism...im totally against the super trawlers, especially that one from Geelong....how hard does this have to be...its not about you its not about me....its about more fish for everybody...peace

whilst i respect your opinions and your right to air them I hardly think "Bahahaha, thats the dumbest thing I've watched all day." is putting it sweetly

As for other licenses plenty drive without one & unregistered, I am in a trade industry and there are plenty of "tradies" doing cash jobs with no invoice, no GST and no COC so that is working. I cannot see every rec fisher paying for a RFL and those that get caught will get numerous warning like they do now for undersize crab brigade.

There was, as at Jan 2016 $6 mill from the boat levy supposed to be spent to upgrade facilities sitting doing nothing that could be used for the things you say.

I am NOT totally against the RFL but worried what they want to do with info gathered

ps - Mods if this turns into a shit fight please delete whole post and I will end my membership as I am only supplying info for members to ponder

Howdy Poppa Snake...no shit fight here brother...im not against you or BarnyB either....this is a learning process for me and a few other people I rekn...I think everyones heart is in the right place...but none of us know how to improve this terrible situation we have...fishn obviously means a lot to all of us on here...that's why we all care about this "argument"...on our own none of us can do much...together as a team on the other hand...we can change this terrible situation...you know the old saying...300,000 fishos together are smarter and more powerful than any force on the planet (y) ...essentially we all want more fish in the water for all of us...less or no pro fisherman taking out too many fish out of  our fisheries...rules and regulations that make a difference for the future and are actually upheld...less bureaucratic BS and more action to protect our fisheries and our rec fishn futures....you get the picture....on our own individually...nothing will change...together with a recfish license we have an army and approx. $6 000 000 bucks per year to do something properly for the future of our fisheries...its in our hands and only we can make a difference....we have to be united somehow and I don't see any other way except by paying our union/club/license fee and standing together as one...peace brother and may the fish be with you :fishing: 

I just don't get why people are afraid of what could potentially happen (big brother and misuse of information and all that), when it clearly doesn't happen in other states.

Getting a fishing licence in Vic or nsw is basically no different to filling out the online form to get into Innes national park here.

Regardless of what pressure comes from whatever group is making suggestions, pretty sure any rfl we do end up getting is gonna be a bog standard, pay your money, get your card, get a warning/fine if you can't present your card when asked while fishing type affair. If dealing with that inconvenience means we get more fisheries officers, better facilities, stocking programs etc (as it does in other states) then I'm all for it

My opinion, a rfl for SA is not going to be the "Magic Bullet" that it has been in other states, it will not get rid of the problems we have here. We have a minister for everything including rec fishing who treats us with contempt, PIRSA who have a vested interest in commercial fishing and will only listen to minorities who are against rec fishing. Then we have a "Peak Body" supposedly representing us that refuses to deal with any one else and seems to only conduct business on Face Book. These issues need to be addressed BEFORE introducing a rec licence. If they are I would probably support it then. I have made use of many of the improvements made over the border in Vic.

Exactly Booma.  We pay a cost for the licence, the money goes to (hopefully) more fishery officers, facilities etc.

The video is a very worse case scenario and will never happen that way - it's just going to extremes in many comments which can blow out to all proportions unnecessarily.

And yes BerneyB, it would be good to have these issues addressed now, but it just ain't happening.  Whether it would happen after a rfl was introduced - who knows, but at least there maybe a little more 'sway' seeing people will be paying for a licence and expecting more results.

This was presented to the Committee more than 6 months ago (July 2016), and hasn't been mentioned since (to my knowledge). It was not a formal submission by the MFA, although one presenter was/is a Board member of the MFA. There is no indication that this submission was or is supported as official policy by the Commercial sector as a whole.

Everyone will take what they want to see from this submission, but for mine it was a group of Commercial fishers complaining about the lack of support for their sector from PIRSA and the Govt. - which is exactly the same complaint the recreational sector has put forward for decades.

In addition, there has been loud and continuous attack of the Commercial sector by some rec's for more than a year, and this seems to have had the result of causing some in the Commercial sector to lash out in response. The submission proposes to implement many controls on rec fishers that are already in effect for the Commercials, and asks that the recreational sector pay for a licence. In the past 6 months, there has been no indication that anyone in Fisheries management in SA has taken any of it to heart, much less any attempt to actually implement it.

Overall it's a storm in a teacup, but the overall environment of the fishery as a shared resource in SA is repeatedly damaged and the divide between sectors is increased every time a submission is made or video such as that shown in the original post is presented to the public.

Bottom line is that the Commercial sector seems to be every bit as fed up with PIRSA and Govt as the recreational sector. It does no good for anyone if the sectors keep chucking bricks at each other - the only result is that it takes the focus away from PIRSA and the Govt. and wastes a whole lot of time and energy.

There can probably never be a close relationship between the Commercial and Recreational sectors because we are all competing for the same resource, but (IMO) there is no reason why a professional level of interaction can't be established between the sectors in order to achieve common goals. As this submission very clearly shows, one of those common goals (and probably the most important) is a change in the manner in which the fishery in SA is managed by PIRSA/SARDI and the Government. But before any progress can be achieved on that front, I believe that the recreational sector needs to overcome our own divisions so that we are able to present a united front with one agreed position - on any subject.

There is no way that this situation (both the submission and the video) should be accepted as a reason not to implement a RFL in SA  - despite the fact that some people (probably a minority?) have strong opposition to the RFL and will attempt to use it for that purpose. 

My 2 bob. Thank you.

I was a long term supporter of a RFL.

I think for SA its a good thing for freshwater and I recognise the improvements to access and stocking being made there.

For the salt recs need greater recognition in management arrangements to win my support. This imho comes by the will of the government not by licence revenue or any other revenue.

Cheers

Tackles

There is no way that this situation (both the submission and the video) should be accepted as a reason not to implement a RFL in SA  - despite the fact that some people (probably a minority?) have strong opposition to the RFL and will attempt to use it for that purpose. 

My 2 bob. Thank you.

I have "liked" your post and enjoy your point of view but

I guess this is aimed at me? I have already stated that I am NOT against a RFL and attempted to supply something I found to this forums members. 

I don't know if I will bother again

I've always been skeptical about a fishing licence.

to be honest i've been waiting to see when it'll come in.

Heres a few questions i'll raise and my opinion.

The ratio between fisheries officers to fishers is pathetic.

How would spending money on a fishing licence, help the officers monitor check on people who have one?

how many fisheries offices are there in SA right now?

if there are 300,000 fishers and say 100 fisheries officers thats 1:3000. They are ridiculous odds.

Its 3 times what Leicester city were paying to win the EPL last year.......

In order to have a presence in the field, they'd have to employ atleast another 500 officers. and STILL you will never cover the entire state.

In all my years at the boat ramp, i've never seen a fishing charter checked.

Who says they haven't been doing the right thing just because they have a licence?

In 15 years of driving, I've been pulled over a few times because i was being an idiot. Sure they check your licence then.

But i'm sure there are people who have never been pulled over because they are doing the right thing. Who checks their licence?

In 10 years of owning a boat, 3 times i've had my boat / catch checked and once have had my boat approached by fisheries on the water.

NOT ONCE did any of them ask for my boat licence.

I've been saying for years its not ONLY the rec's that are to blame.

Just because you own a boat, it doesn't mean you catch bag limits of fish every time you go out.

the pro's RAPE everything.

it's happened to the blueys a few years ago, it's happened to the garfish, it's happened to the snapper and it'll keep happening as that is their job. they are like the miners of the ocean. if there is no more gold in this spot, they'll dig somewhere else...

3 years ago a mate of mine caught a decent amount or snapper off the shipping channel.

since then, i have caught maybe 3 snapper, the largest being 42cm and not in the area we were in.

the difference between a rec and a pro is we TRY to catch snapper, the pros WILL catch snapper, its just a matter of how many.

In the Gulf of SV, it's all pretty flat, the only way to house more fish is to build it.

There are 2 tyre reefs, the Stanvac blocks, Norma, a few other barges and old ships. These are all 'man made reefs'.

With out these, we wouldnt have any structure locally.

I think its time for the government to pull there finger out and make some more artificial reefs rather than pick on the rec's and coincide with the pro's all the time.

There are too many people putting themselves at risk trying to build they're own to try get away from the 'crowd'.

Build multiple reefs and people can choose where to go and ultimately give the fish a 'home'.

The saying goes BUILD IT AND THEY WILL COME.

Same goes for the fish.

Thats my thoughts anyway 

Savage

I've always been skeptical about a fishing licence.

to be honest i've been waiting to see when it'll come in.

Heres a few questions i'll raise and my opinion.

How would spending money on a fishing licence, help the officers monitor check on people who have one?

how many fisheries offices are there in SA right now?

if there are 300,000 fishers and say 100 fisheries officers thats 1:3000. They are ridiculous odds.

Its 3 times what Leicester city were paying to win the EPL last year.......

In order to have a presence in the field, they'd have to employ atleast another 500 officers. and STILL you will never cover the entire state.

In all my years at the boat ramp, i've never seen a fishing charter checked.

Who says they haven't been doing the right thing just because they have a licence?

In 15 years of driving, I've been pulled over a few times because i was being an idiot. Sure they check your licence then.

But i'm sure there are people who have never been pulled over because they are doing the right thing. Who checks their licence?

In 10 years of owning a boat, 3 times i've had my boat / catch checked and once have had my boat approached by fisheries on the water.

I've been saying for years its not ONLY the rec's that are to blame.

Just because you own a boat, it doesn't mean you catch bag limits of fish every time you go out.

the pro's RAPE everything.

it's happened to the blueys a few years ago, it's happened to the garfish, it's happened to the snapper and it'll keep happening as that is their job. they are like the miners of the ocean. if there is no more gold in this spot, they'll dig somewhere else...

3 years ago a mate of mine caught a decent amount or snapper off the shipping channel.

since then, i have caught maybe 3 snapper, the largest being 42cm and not in the area we were in.

the difference between a rec and a pro is we TRY to catch snapper, the pros WILL catch snapper, its just a matter of how many.

In the Gulf of SV, it's all pretty flat, the only way to house more fish is to build it.

There are 2 tyre reefs, the Stanvac blocks, Norma, a few other barges and old ships. These are all 'man made reefs'.

I think its time for the government to pull there finger out and make some more artificial reefs rather than pick on the rec's and coincide with the pro's all the time.

There are too many people putting themselves at risk trying to build they're own to try get away from the 'crowd'.

Build multiple reefs and people can choose where to go and ultimately give the fish a 'home'.

Same goes for the fish.

Thats my thoughts anyway 

Savage

I would guess that a proportion of fees from said rec fishing licence would go towards paying for more Fisheries Officers to be on duty at a time, which goes a long way to improve the ration officers to fishers.

Do fisheries officers have the authority to check boat licences (honest question, I don't know the answer)? I thought it would have been up to Marine Police or Marine Safety or whatever to enforce vehicle licencing and registration. Fisheries just check on fishery compliances?

I guess one proportion of the money raised from RFLs going towards more officers means other portions of that revenue can go to other areas concerning fishing......Things like stocking, Habitat construction (be it re snagging rivers, or building artificial reefs etc etc). These things all cost a great deal of money and thats ideally what an RFL provides (in my eyes anyways). You can look at it from the point of view that its just another piece paper and people to enforce that you have it on you, or you can look at it as everybody chipping in a little bit to achieve a greater good for the fishing community as a whole. 

There is always going to be people who flout the system, fish without a licence, take undersize fish, crabs etc, but at least with an RFL there it offers funding to better police those who break the rules (or at least increases the chance they are caught). The chance of being caught and the punishments involved is what generally makes majority of people keep things like their drivers licence and rego current and I'm pretty sure the same would go for a fishing licence

I understand and fully support the licence, ONLY IF the funds go straight back into the fishing sector eg; education and development, officers, better boat ramps, more artificial reefs etc with-in a 12 - 24 month period.

The only fear is that we pay all this cash for it to sit in an account gathering interest and nothing coming back eg the boat levy.

There is much to consider. Reading interstate in NSW I am of the understanding their rec licence isn't considered a true licence such as a drivers licence or commercial fishing licence and doesn't hold the same intrinsic rights in law.

I for one am not going to be critical of rec fishers reactions to an rfl or management issues over the last year or more.

We all know raw advocacy is rarely 100% accurate or diplomatic but can one then also complain about apathy? Imho take the pertinent points and move on with your learning.

I understand and fully support the licence, ONLY IF the funds go straight back into the fishing sector eg; education and development, officers, better boat ramps, more artificial reefs etc with-in a 12 - 24 month period.

The only fear is that we pay all this cash for it to sit in an account gathering interest and nothing coming back eg the boat levy.

Gov administration and compliance costs, if applicable committee costs for facilitation of meetings, hours worked by members all need to be deducted, payments to third parties etc. We also have an aging population with an average age higher than most other states which needs considering. If a large demographic fall into the retired/youth sectors then that impacts bottom line against costs.

My 2 bob. Thank you.

I have "liked" your post and enjoy your point of view but

I guess this is aimed at me? I have already stated that I am NOT against a RFL and attempted to supply something I found to this forums members. 

I don't know if I will bother again

Absolutely not Poppa, and I'm sorry if I unintentionally gave that impression.

I think it's a good thing that a video such as this is shown to a wider audience within the rec fishing community so that more people are able to view it and make up their own minds.

I think you did everyone a favour, and the resultant conversation about it has been well considered and balanced.

In the end, whether we have a RFL or not is going to come down to the opinion and support of the majority, and every discussion like this allows everyone to raise any concerns or support that they may have without being bashed over the head. We're all learning.

In my view this particular video is extremely one-sided and designed to generate opposition to a RFL based on scare tactics alone. I'd like to see a future video from the same source presenting the positive aspects of an RFL in SA.

That would be a balanced way to approach the issue. This video is not.

Cheers,

since we're all together in the one spot...how about we start coming up with ideas how to make the recfish license a happening thing...now that we're all aware of the various problems associated with getting one off the ground...together we can make magic happen...peace

Tacklebags is right. Money is not a silver bullet and it cannot solve every problem that confronts the SA fishery.

Without it however, we will continue on just as we always have  - and the current situation is not a good recommendation for doing that.

How to make it happen? Lot of different opinion from lots of experts, but I think that the rec sector needs to get together in whatever rag-tag form can be achieved quickly and in the short term, and put a pre-election question to each of the political parties. That question would be coming from just one source - the entire recreational fishing community of SA. Not a matrix of questions that inevitable leaves wriggle room for Politicians, just one question in two parts.

Perhaps something like:-

"If elected, will your Party provide funding for the Recreational Fishing sector in SA  - such that we will be able to work effectively with all other stakeholders in order to maximise the financial and social returns that recreational fishing provides to this State.

We have two equally preferred options for this funding (in no particular order):-

1. A Recreational Fishing Licence designed and agreed in partnership between the Recreational Fishing Sector and the Government and administered by a Committee in which Recreational Fishing Representatives are guaranteed a majority.

2. Recurrent funding of $5 million per annum indexed to CPI, and administered by a Committee in which Recreational Fishing Representatives are guaranteed a majority.

Which of these (or any equivalent proposal) are you able to commit to?

On behalf of 237,000 Recreational Fishers of SA.

- or something like that.

I really believe (based on random arse-pluck and watching what's going on elsewhere) that this coming election is likely to be the most competitive that we've had in SA for many decades, and that all Parties will need to be mindful of keeping every single vote. It's not likely that the SA voting population will put rec fishing very high on their priority list (power, healthcare, employment etc etc) - but if there is very little to choose between the policies of each Party and the candidates they put forward, lower priorities will come into play when we come to decide who to vote for - priorities such as funding for recreational fishing. I think that those votes could be enough to decide who wins a Seat in the coming election.

If you want funding for recreational fishing in SA, I think that there has never been a better time to ask for it.

- But we'd need to pull our digits out, there's a lot to be done.

Coupla bob.

One of the major problems we face here in SA is that the government has created a "peak body" to "look after the interests" of rec fishers and they refuse to deal with anyone else. I am not against a licence in principle but it cannot be a first step, there are a lot of other issues to deal with first.

One of the major problems we face here in SA is that the government has created a "peak body" to "look after the interests" of rec fishers and they refuse to deal with anyone else. I am not against a licence in principle but it cannot be a first step, there are a lot of other issues to deal with first.

The Govt has to face the voters. At that time, all bets are off...

togetherness seems to be the key so far...we're all different...but we need to be together like RJ5023 said....AS ONE... whose not goin to listen to nearly 300,000 smelly fishos :P ....300,000 people with a good agenda together...everyone will listen...let me remind you all...THEY work for us....we must not be afraid or doubtful...we must put a side our differences and unite...reminds me of a 5 a side indoor soccer team I used to play for...RECFISH REVOLUTION UNITED :facepalm:  :laugh: 

The Govt has to face the voters. At that time, all bets are off...

A change of government only means a change of minister, all the infrastructure remains, PIRSA, RecFishSA etc.

Must be a bottom up democratic process. Any proposal needs to be put out to the fishing public for vote because both major state parties have expressed they want evidence of majority support. Neither will risk election chances by mooting a RFL themselves based on the minority of avid fishos interested in fisheries management.

I think what the chief was saying is THEY have to listen to all of us...if we're together that is...all for one...one for all...are you with us BarneyB???...or still throwing stones??? cos we really need you champ...and Poppa Snake...and everyone else who is not against a rec fishn license...and the ones that are against a rec fishn license....well....we'll let you join up too :D ...TOGETHERNESS = ACTION...UNITY=ACTION....its not hard...I guess we just need smart intelligent people like RJ5023 to help guide and lead us...I vote for you man...peace