Some interesting info

Hi all,

I'm a member of GGAF (Golden Grove Amateur Fishing) and last night we had our annual "tackle night". We had some guest speakers from RecfishSA and Spot On Salisbury. Thought I'd share some info I found useful/enlightening.

Before I start, I'm just sharing this for informational purposes. I'm not affiliated with RecfishSA in any way. I know opinion is divided on what kind of a job RecfishSA do, but can we please leave that for another topic - I'm not looking to start a debate or any controversy. As I said, this is just some useful info and I'd share it no matter the source.

First off we had Danny Simpson (executive officer of RecfishSA) show us the new RecfishSA website and focus a bit on their "Fishing Locations Map". So this is a relatively new tool to their website and has many overlays you can apply to a map of SA, such as jetty locations, boat ramp, some commonly known GPS marks, freshwater fishing locales etc. Some of this is of limited value to be honest. For example most of the jetties and boat ramps just have coordinates then a link to DPTI for any detailed information. What I thought was the most useful bit of info from this map was the River Murray Public Access Sites layer. Click this on and you can see all Unallocated Crown Land, National Parks, Public access areas and Reserves along the Murray. Really useful if you want to head to the Murray and do some off the grid camping and fishing. I think this is one of those tools that will have great value to some and limited to others - but either way its worth checking out https://recfishsa.org.au/fishing-maps.

Danny also touched on the state of opening up more reservoirs for recreational fishing. Talks are still continuing with results expected - the impression I got was that progress, albeit slow progress, is being made and the success of the warren has been a good foothold. On the Warren, all species have been caught except for Cod at this stage. Hopefully they're still around fattening up. Also mentioned results of the size limit/watercraft for reservoir survey that was held recently. Nothings set in stone, but I got the impression that the proposal is likely to be similar size limits to the Murray, length limits might be slightly different. Cod will remain protected for at least 5 years and once they get big and fat that decision might be revisited. Silver Perch will be OK for taking as they are stocked and not protected in that environment. No boat limits for kayaks/canoes as these typically only have a 1-2 person capacity anyway. He mentioned they're hoping to have Kayaks and the like on the Warren this coming Summer - make of that what you will but I wont hold my breath that things will move quite so fast!

Next we had Dr. Travis Howson. Travis holds a relatively new position at RecfishSA, that of Habitat Officer. He gave a short presentation focusing on how the Onk has changed over the years and steps that RecfishSA, in conjunction with local recreational fishers and OzFish Unlimited. OzFish Unlimited is kind of based off of a US organisation called  Trout Unlimited. Its basic aim is to get recreational fishers to think about, care for and contribute to the upkeep and restoration of fishing habitats. For those interested, this is the presentation Travis gave - if nothing else, its cool to see how the Onk used to look. https://ozfish.org.au/wp-content/uploads/2017/05/Fishers-Tackling-Fish-Habitat-Issues-in-the-Onkaparinga.pdf

After RecfishSA finished up we had our annual speakers from SpotOn Salisbury Steve and Lyn Castle. Steve and Lyn taught us some knots and rigs useful for all sorts of fishing. it was surprising to me that what I would've thought were basic, essential knots were not common knowledge to most of the club. Huge thanks to Steve and Lyn for once again coming along and sharing their extensive knowledge.

Was a great night, and I think on of the highlights on the clubs calendar.

Cheers,

RedReeler