Butter knives

Have an ancient "shed knife", been in the family for decades and a bit ratty now - "Atkinson Bros" from Sheffield, probably the same sort of thing. All jokes aside, the next time y`all pop in to your Great Aunty Mabel`s or whatever for a cuppa on the way through...could be worth asking the question if there`s no family heirloom or sentimental value considerations?

Secondhand stores often have them.It's the steel which matters. this old stuff was a much higher quality than the crap we get these days, and holds an edge much longer, so definately look for Sheffield printed somewhere on the blade.The rounded end butterknifes are great for Garfish. In fact, save yourself some work and get it to a professional knife sharpener. You can get him to sharpen right up the blade and including the rounded end.

The best of the old bone handle knives are the ones with the square handle and the dirty looking steel blade not the polished steel blades.The older steel is easier to sharpen and holds it edge much better than the polished steel. These are the best for filleting.We still use the bone handle knives every day at home but the handles don't like the dishwasher that much. I even invested in a boxed set some years ago from an auction and got the carving set to go with it. It looked like it had never been removed from the box. Earlier this year I brought a full set of Scanpan Knives. After using them for a while I have put them away and I have gone back to all my old Bone Handle Knives including my bread knife and my carving knife.Spotter