Dogfight or Stella?

Hi all.With Xmas upon us,and years of "old school" tackle use behind me,I thought I'd throw a few roubles around.Just been looking at specs online for Daiwa Saltiga Z 6500 H Dogfight and Shimano Stella 20000.Both are similar in most specs......even price.Want to fish 50lb braid........HARD ! ;) Does anyone have any first hand experience in the field with these reels?Especially interested in what you tackle store guy's have to say B) Cheers in advance.

I would go for the Stella, I love my Shimano and that is a reel that I would go for no questions asked. Whilst I haven't used a Stella myself it is one of Shimano's top reels and every Shimano reel I have used has never failed on me and are always reliable. But as when choosing any reel it comes down to preference and also what you are most comfortable with. But as Ranger said you can hardly go wrong with either. :)

I personally like Daiwa and fished with Z4500, awesome reel. But try to avoid new Saltiga, it is nowhere near Stella.Read these reviews, lots of photos:Stellahttp://www.stripersonline.com/surftalk/showthread.php?t=647666New Saltigahttp://www.stripersonline.com/surftalk/showthread.php?t=768370Удачи :)

Thanks naydonov,absolutely fantastic links,and just the sort of stuff I have been looking for B) Sorry,I don't know what your text before your smilie says as I don't speak nor understand the lingo :blush: I'm assuming it means "cheers" or "good on ya".Not much of a Ruskie am I?......but I do like Vodka ;)

howdy ussr,both the reels mentioned are awesome in their own right,ideal choice will depend on what type of fishing you do and what jobs you want them to perform.if you are going to fish 50lb braid you might want to checkout the 4500 size as is alot easier to handle and still offers a 10 kg drag.gear ratios will come into it aswell,will you be jigging for kings,sambos,bait fishing for groper,livebaiting,or poppering for gts? your main application use for the reel will have an ideal model which will suit you better.i am a big saltiga fan but both these reels will give you good service.choose wisely and talk to the guys in the reputable tackle shops and have a play with all of the reels to see what feels best.cheers and goodluck.

Wow, I always new that the Stgella 20000SW had set the bench mark but was expecting a better review of the 2010 Saltiga.At one stage I was going to buy a Stella but ended up getting a Certate Hyper Custom 4000 as it was the perfect size I was looking for and I love it.BUT, if in your position, after reading this review, the Stella seems to be coming out in front and Im a Daiwa man through and through but have not laid my hands on the 2010 Saltiga.Me personally though, I love the rugged looks of the 09 Dogfight and I think aeshetically it looks super tough and I would be trying to get my hands on one of them.Has anyone here used the 09 Dogfight as maybe it would be a good move to snap up an 09 model before they all dissapear (as you could get it at a good price) now the new model is out.Ive always had respect for the Stella's but thanks to that in depth review, my RESPECT has increased. Its almost like Daiwa have tried to hard with this model.Im not a fan at all of the new AIR ROTOR thingo it looks SUPER ugly. I dont like it on any of the new models.. The Saltiga is meant to be a robust reel and it just looks like its trying to be too fancy..Hence why I love the 09 Models.Would love to see a review of the 09 Dogfight which in my opinion is the real DOGFIGHT.

Hi there, I am currently in Yr situation choosing either a Stella or a saltiga. Before deciding, you should decide wat kind of fishing you will using the reel for. A saltiga dogfight or Stella sw18000 is more ideal for popping due to it high gearing ratio. While the saltiga expedition or Stella sw20000 with low gear ratio more suit bottom fishing n jigging.

USSR' date=' Удачи means good luck in Russian :)[/quote']Thanks mate ;) giveitall and adamibinfishin,my main styles of fishing are for mulloway from the sands (the beaches I fish on Yorkes and FWC only require a 30m cast) and sharks / rays from jetty or rock ledges :)urhookedfish,I agree 100% with you.Trying to get as many opinions as possible before handing over the hard earned :(

ok mate,if landbased fishing rocks and beaches is going to be your thing then you should also checkout the saltiga surf spinners aswell.i have two of these and these are purpose built for what you want to do,get the 6000 spool and you can fit a heap of fifty pound braid.i have also seen these reels on a couple of longe range charters on the sambos and they performed well.these reels are also cheaper than your doggie or stella too which is a plus,cheers.

I have heard the same about Shimano parts too. Though with a reel of this caliber, you wouldn't expect to be needing parts for a LONG time.Between the 2 reels, I couldn't offer any advice at all. They're both top notch pieces of gear. I have a mate who has both and they're unreal. I think you'd be buying well with either one - If you spend $300 grand on a Porsche of a Ferrari you're gonna get a hot car either way.Cheers.

I'm a saltiga fan but i wouldn't get the dogfight because its gear ratio is way too high.If you hook a samson down deep it will be a real struggle to wind it in with such a high gear ratio.Saltiga 6500 winds in plenty fast enough too for GT popping.For a 6500 i would go a minimum 80 pound braid. For 50lb braid the saltiga 4500 is perfect.