Kingfish in West Lakes?

Alot of strange things have happened in the Port, anyone remember that plague of Trevally down the docks back in the late 80's? People were shoulder to shoulder bagging out in 5 minutes, serious it was "BUZZERK", didn't even need bait, jump anything silver.. guess they followed the incomming tide into the system and couldn't find the exit..Heard there was a Noah in the Port a few years back..

• Replies 142
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Old thread I know but thought I'd add my $0.01 anyway. I've fished the lake for close to 30 years also not so regularly until around 3 years ago when I moved 5-10 minutes away and I too have never see

So with this long running debate I'm wondering how long its going to take till someone gets some juvenile kingfish and releases them one dark night into the lake just to prove a point. :whistle:

Are you trying to tell me it does not exist :ohmy:

Posted Images

Why not samboman, kingys luv structure and the entrance at grange/tenyson has a structure,some might eventually find the entace and swim all the way under military road.:laugh: as for sharks in westlakes, if small ones got in there 7 or 8 years ago surley they will grow bigger in westlakes, or even if people did release a few in there years ago , they might breed in there as well. It would be sweet to go sharking in westlakes ayyy! and actually capture 6-7 footers :)

I have seen pics of the St Kilda kingies..... i know they do show up in the port from time to time....But to get kingies swimming on a metro sandy beach and find the entrance pipes..... :whistle: :whistle: Sambo

Heard of Lord Howe Island? The Kingies there come right up into the shalows, there is no reason why they wouldnt venture down into a pipeline in search of food.
I have seen pics of the St Kilda kingies..... i know they do show up in the port from time to time....But to get kingies swimming on a metro sandy beach and find the entrance pipes..... :whistle: :whistle: Sambo
Heard of Lord Howe Island? The Kingies there come right up into the shalows' date=' there is no reason why they wouldnt venture down into a pipeline in search of food.[/quote']Quite a bit of difference between Adelaide and Lord Howe Island..... :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: Sambo
Now ive seen it all :laugh: this lad was crabbing for bluey's last night at the bridge' date=' reckons they're BIG MEATY ones! :S :blink: :sick: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: personally i wouldn't eat nothing out of there.[/quote']There is HEAPS of crabs in there but i wouldnt eat them. I hook them all the time when running abit of bait in there. Best was a 17cm bluey which i caught under its claw

I simply can not believe that a kingfish has never entered westlakes, juvenile kingies in particular love the still water and have invaded marinas around the state from time to time. Is there anywhere metro where you could reasonably expect to catch a kingfish?Personaly I would have thought westlakes would be one of the most likely metro spots where you might just tangle with a little kingy.

please someone, anyone catch that kingie before t1ppo does,i'm begging all my dear fellow fisher friends to please,please catch the damn thing before t1ppo,just the thought of handing him the cash makes me shudder!!! bugger it,wheres me 10/0 overhead and rollered game rod,i'll have too do it myself!! stupid bet!!

reckon your moneys safe snake.. just jokin round buddy. plenty of better chances elsewhere. have never even fished the lakes chief. hows about a bet on who can land the biggest mully this next year.... reckon the odds are squarely in your favour there !!! you'd obviously stoked to take the cash yeah ?

reckon your moneys safe snake.. just jokin round buddy. plenty of better chances elsewhere. have never even fished the lakes chief. hows about a bet on who can land the biggest mully this next year.... reckon the odds are squarely in your favour there !!! you'd obviously stoked to take the cash yeah ?

ha all good mate was just joking around with ya...mmmm biggest mully hey...theres some pretty tough competion out there with strike and hook members,maybe biggest mulloway caught on a lure would be a good bet,ok $100 bucks too the winner!! money guaranteed,starting now and ending last day jan. no cheating please lure caught only!!

no way man... not betting against everyone on strike n hook... wouldnt stand a chance, im nothing but a noob on here inexperienced at chasing the mulloway. ( only one legal from the onk ) but lures counts me out... too much effort for me... especially with mullies ( unless im in the estuaries). ill place a bet with you though... no cheating for sure.. you got the experience and the spots... my only advantage might be the amount of spare time i got being currently outta work ;) itll be all hands on dex 4 me... B) If i take the bet your offering i may as well pass over the cash now. ill be hitting geues and the hole... and salt creek and the foot of the peninsula... maybe near west coast too. probably run into ya out there mate. always keen ta tag along anytime ya planning a mission man... got me own 4wd. happy to go a 100 but a friendly comp would be just as good.

ive posted something under site competitions which everyone can have a go at too win cash donated by me,no bet just a fun little comp with just one winner so start prac tising lure fishing for mullys t1ppo ya never know you could be the one who wins p.s.after reading what i wrote on here i can see what ya mean,its not a bet its a comp donated by me which is why i reposted under site comp

• 10 months later...

why would putting a few doggies in the lake f#$k things up? they are probally in there anyway. the lock is big enough for a doggie to get through and im sure one could swin up the pipes at the southern end. I cant see the problem.

I can't see any problem with it eitherBut i don't understand WHY someone would go out there way to drive to west lakes and release a doggy when they could just chuck it back in and keep fishing :fishing: I mean seriously what does that achieve :huh::huh::huh:

why would putting a few doggies in the lake f#$k things up? they are probally in there anyway. the lock is big enough for a doggie to get through and im sure one could swin up the pipes at the southern end. I cant see the problem.

I can't see any problem with it eitherBut i don't understand WHY someone would go out there way to drive to west lakes and release a doggy when they could just chuck it back in and keep fishing :fishing: I mean seriously what does that achieve :huh::huh::huh:
achieves a new species for me to target :woohoo:
  • 3 weeks later...

There have been reliable reports of a sunfish sighting in the port river,video of broadbill swordfish in the Port lincoln Marina, a whale at port Augusta, and I remember reading a report somewhere of an Atlantic Salmon(obviously Tassy fish farm escapee) at a jetty somewhere in SA but I don,t remember where. I saw an Eagle ray in the pat a few years back.If these odd occurences happen along with the other weird things listed here like the Port Trevas then it is quite reasonable to believe that a few lost Kingies may have been seen in West Lakes.Fish are unpredictable critters at times Rollcast

There is no way a king fish could get in the lake' date=' they are never small enough.. only salmon' date=' mulloway, Trevally and Snapper are small enough to swim in there.. I think a few eagle rays and Bronzies would be a good mix in there..[/quote'']You can't be serious. What size do you think kings start at as juveniles
i thought they were born over a metre and 50 pound :blink::blink::blink::laugh::laugh: