Kingfish in West Lakes?

• Replies 142
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Old thread I know but thought I'd add my $0.01 anyway. I've fished the lake for close to 30 years also not so regularly until around 3 years ago when I moved 5-10 minutes away and I too have never see

So with this long running debate I'm wondering how long its going to take till someone gets some juvenile kingfish and releases them one dark night into the lake just to prove a point. :whistle:

Are you trying to tell me it does not exist :ohmy:

Posted Images

@ smokeykebab - CARP!?!?? Was it healthy??? Bit of a concern one surviving in a saltish water environment....

They pumped the place full of fresh water from the Torrens a while back to kill that invasive weed. Wasn't fishing during that period so I don't know if any freshwater species took hold for a little while.Not sure what it was like back when the whole area was a swamp either.

this is a list of everything caught in the lake to date.BreamFlounderGarfishKing George WhitingMulletMullowayRockfish/ Rock WrasseSalmon TroutSnapperTommy Ruff/ Australian HerringTrevallyTrumpeterWhitebaitBlue Swimmer CrabSquidCuttlefishFlatheadYellowfin WhitingSand WhitingCatfishLuderickCowfishLeather JacketSweepGurnardOctopusCarpPort JacksonFrogmouth PilchardEelBronze WhalerPrawnsBlind MulletSnookMusselsMorton Bay BugTortoiseBlue Ring OctopusRock CrabsRazor FishAngelfishRed Mulletnope no Kingfish :boot:

You forgot one BLIND MULLET!Surely this rare and exotic species has made an appearence from time to time,the state record came from not far from there ,plus there have been several confirmed sightings ...or so I've been told :laugh::laugh:
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 6 months later...

Old thread I know but thought I'd add my $0.01 anyway. I've fished the lake for close to 30 years also not so regularly until around 3 years ago when I moved 5-10 minutes away and I too have never seen a King in there. I do often (2-3 times a week) stop and have a look at the entrance (Trimmer Pde). As I mentioned somewhere else, have recently seen quite a number of schoolies at at the entrance (and big bream that will only take bait!!! obviously no fun in that!!) Reason for my rant is that I've had residents and kids walk past and tell me that they're Kingfish. Anyone with a pair of polarised sunglasses can tell that these are in fact NOT Kingies. I wonder do these stories get around because some cannot correctly identify their fish. An older fellow down there one afternoon asked me If I could see the tommies following my soft plastics, I said 'no mate but I can see some bream right there'......

Thousands fishing it' date=' ABT comps........ Still no pics :whistle: :laugh::laugh::laugh: Sambo[/quote']Anybody? ...anybody?????Bout time a pic rose to the surface..... Shall not hold my breath... But I will happily eat my tinny if it's Samboman that hooks one :laugh: :laugh: like I say, wouldn't be healthy to hold my breath while waiting for a pic :P
Thousands fishing it' date=' ABT comps........ Still no pics :whistle: :laugh::laugh::laugh: Sambo[/quote']Anybody? ...anybody?????Bout time a pic rose to the surface..... Shall not hold my breath... But I will happily eat my tinny if it's Samboman that hooks one :laugh: :laugh: like I say' date=' wouldn't be healthy to hold my breath while waiting for a pic :P[/quote']thats one hell of a promise to make publicly Jack !!!Hope you have a dam good dentist if ever a Kingy does turn up lol
There have been reliable reports of a sunfish sighting in the port river' date='video of broadbill swordfish in the Port lincoln Marina, a whale at port Augusta, and I remember reading a report somewhere of an Atlantic Salmon(obviously Tassy fish farm escapee) at a jetty somewhere in SA but I don,t remember where. I saw an Eagle ray in the pat a few years back.If these odd occurences happen along with the other weird things listed here like the Port Trevas then it is quite reasonable to believe that a few lost Kingies may have been seen in West Lakes.Fish are unpredictable critters at times Rollcast[/quote']The atlantic salmon didn't need to be from Tassie, they farm them down the South East

I was fishing near the west lakes tavern one night for mullys and a lad showed me pics on his phone of about 15 3lb Salmon and 4 monster bream and i mean MONSTER he and a mate caught ,on pillie cubes at night during a wild session there about 2 year ago.he was fishing near the gates .Nothing to do with kingies but i wouldnt of believed him if he didnt show me the pic.

• 5 months later...

Not on the kingfish topic but i did have a snapper of around 25lb follow a lure up to my feet in the pat the other day,because i'm a law abiding citizen(re snapper ban) i ripped the lure away from it and jumped in the car and went home.....well that last part is crap i had about another 50 casts...........make that 100 cheers brenton

Not on the kingfish topic but i did have a snapper of around 25lb follow a lure up to my feet in the pat the other day' date='because i'm a law abiding citizen(re snapper ban) i ripped the lure away from it and jumped in the car and went home.....well that last part is crap i had about another 50 casts...........make that 100 cheers brenton[/quote']Now thats one lost fish,poor bugger .A quick Pat joke..............2 turds were floating down the Pat side by side as they do... when one says to the other "Get out of my way you piece of shit!....to which the other one replies...."How dare you talk to me like that! I"ll have you know I was the main course at the Lord mayors dinner last night!" :laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh:

How many people saw the pic of the massive snapper out of westlakes? it was in ever WILD COAST or Sa angler. Just wondering why kingfish couldn't be "stocked" in there, i mean the bream would cop it but imagine that! Mulloway and kingfish swimming around a crystel clear lake. Just stock them to big to escape.Any way, i doubt they are in their but i pray they get in there.

You might be onto something there fished out. Could u imagine if they stocked the lake with couple if thousand juvie kings. How good would that be!!! Our own Sydney harbour in our backyard! Not as silly as it sounds they'd have no reason to leave due to the amount of feed in there only question would be would the temp be suitable??? It would be a hub for sport fishing mullies bream and kinggys!! Wowser!

You might be onto something there fished out. Could u imagine if they stocked the lake with couple if thousand juvie kings. How good would that be!!! Our own Sydney harbour in our backyard! Not as silly as it sounds they'd have no reason to leave due to the amount of feed in there only question would be would the temp be suitable??? It would be a hub for sport fishing mullies bream and kinggys!! Wowser!

Hmm, there's an idea. I know Victoria Fisheries is studying saltwater stocking.
  • 5 months later...

If anyone has evidence (photo), I would like to see it! But still, I think Kingies can get into West Lakes. A couple of months ago at the Trimmer Parade end, I saw massive schools of 50cm+ salmon swimming out and in of the gates and some monster whiting. So many different species there.Saw a dark shape on the sandy bottom! :woohoo: It was moving, so it was definately a creature! Wasn't that big though. It was probably a small ray of some sort.Cheers Alex.