Kingfish in West Lakes?

There is no way a king fish could get in the lake' date=' they are never small enough.. only salmon' date=' mulloway, Trevally and Snapper are small enough to swim in there.. I think a few eagle rays and Bronzies would be a good mix in there..[/quote'']You can't be serious. What size do you think kings start at as juveniles
i thought they were born over a metre and 50 pound :blink::blink::blink::laugh::laugh:
Took the words outta my mouth hahaha
  • Replies 142
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Old thread I know but thought I'd add my $0.01 anyway. I've fished the lake for close to 30 years also not so regularly until around 3 years ago when I moved 5-10 minutes away and I too have never see

So with this long running debate I'm wondering how long its going to take till someone gets some juvenile kingfish and releases them one dark night into the lake just to prove a point. :whistle:

Are you trying to tell me it does not exist :ohmy:

Posted Images

Thats my point Rollcast... Kings start off just as small as these other fish.. kings are caught all over the coast line, just not very often.. From stanvac to st kilda.. have heard of them swimmin around local jetties, caught off gleleng in the boat, hooked and lost of the breakwaters around northhaven and outer harbour..but if samboman says there are no kings in the lake... then there must be no kings

Thats my point Rollcast... Kings start off just as small as these other fish.. kings are caught all over the coast line' date=' just not very often.. From stanvac to st kilda.. have heard of them swimmin around local jetties, caught off gleleng in the boat, hooked and lost of the breakwaters around northhaven and outer harbour..but if samboman says there are no kings in the lake... then there must be no kings[/quote']I'll believe it when i see a picture ;) this thread has been going for ages and still NO PIC... like i said over 10yrs fishing the lake and never seen one... Pt Lincoln marina yes, West lakes NO :laugh::laugh: Port River yes, St Kilda yes ;) Sambo
Thats my point Rollcast... Kings start off just as small as these other fish.. kings are caught all over the coast line' date=' just not very often.. From stanvac to st kilda.. have heard of them swimmin around local jetties, caught off gleleng in the boat, hooked and lost of the breakwaters around northhaven and outer harbour..but if samboman says there are no kings in the lake... then there must be no kings[/quote']Doh!! I gotta learn to recognize sarcasm in print without the vocal inflection .My bad !Cheers Rollcast

Just got a 30lb Kingfish in the lake this morning but wouldn't you know,dropped this fish back into the water when taking the photo and lost the camera too,damn,can I still have my $100? lolOn a more serious note,not many people believed there were 40lb mulloway in there once upon a time so who knows but would have to er on the side of NO at the moment.Monkey

Thats my point Rollcast... Kings start off just as small as these other fish.. kings are caught all over the coast line' date=' just not very often.. From stanvac to st kilda.. have heard of them swimmin around local jetties' date=' caught off gleleng in the boat, hooked and lost of the breakwaters around northhaven and outer harbour..but if samboman says there are no kings in the lake... then there must be no kings[/quote'']I'll believe it when i see a picture ;) this thread has been going for ages and still NO PIC... like i said over 10yrs fishing the lake and never seen one... Pt Lincoln marina yes, West lakes NO :laugh::laugh: Port River yes, St Kilda yes ;) Sambo
ACTUALLY, 12 months ago at the start of this thread you said you'd been fishing it for 7 years.... :S :S In all honesty, surely logic would dictate that there is EVERY chance there could be rat kings in there.I remember someone saying there was no chance of squid being caught in there - then someone caught one.No chance of sharks being caught in there - then someone caught one.I mean really - if a 30lb or bigger Mulloway can be in there, why not anything else?? These are man made lakes, once upon a time they weren't there - the big Mulloway didn't just magically appear.....
Thats my point Rollcast... Kings start off just as small as these other fish.. kings are caught all over the coast line' date=' just not very often.. From stanvac to st kilda.. have heard of them swimmin around local jetties' date=' caught off gleleng in the boat, hooked and lost of the breakwaters around northhaven and outer harbour..but if samboman says there are no kings in the lake... then there must be no kings[/quote'']I'll believe it when i see a picture ;) this thread has been going for ages and still NO PIC... like i said over 10yrs fishing the lake and never seen one... Pt Lincoln marina yes, West lakes NO :laugh::laugh: Port River yes, St Kilda yes ;) Sambo
ACTUALLY, 12 months ago at the start of this thread you said you'd been fishing it for 7 years.... :S :S In all honesty, surely logic would dictate that there is EVERY chance there could be rat kings in there.I remember someone saying there was no chance of squid being caught in there - then someone caught one.No chance of sharks being caught in there - then someone caught one.I mean really - if a 30lb or bigger Mulloway can be in there, why not anything else?? These are man made lakes, once upon a time they weren't there - the big Mulloway didn't just magically appear.....
The shark was only in there cause someone released it in there ;) but you would of known that hey willy...The big mullys have probably grown big in there as if you fish there willy you would know that there is mesh over the pipes at the inlet and outlet... big fish can not fit through the mesh..i don't keep a diary but it could even be more years... have been fishing around there since i was 16... 15yrs ago....Squid have always been in there since i fished it....Ok Willy , i don't know what i'm talking about, but you since you live in the riverland you must know for sure... ;)

So obviously you are the be all and end all of West Lakes fishing samboman, how did the squid get in there in the first place?? Must be some rare form of flying squid???And how did the Mulloway, Bream, etc. get in there in the first place?? Maybe they are a rare form of flying fish???And for what its worth, my best mate at school grew up not 100m from West Lakes so I have fished it at lot more than the average angler......But I am sure there is no way I have fished it as much as you Samboman.... Or caught anywhere near the number of variety of fish that you have..... How on earth could someone of done that!??

So obviously you are the be all and end all of West Lakes fishing samboman' date=' how did the squid get in there in the first place?? Must be some rare form of flying squid???And how did the Mulloway, Bream, etc. get in there in the first place?? Maybe they are a rare form of flying fish???And for what its worth, my best mate at school grew up not 100m from West Lakes so I have fished it at lot more than the average angler......But I am sure there is no way I have fished it as much as you Samboman.... Or caught anywhere near the number of variety of fish that you have..... How on earth could someone of done that!??[/quote']Whats your problem champ, yes fish come in through the pipes ???? to easy :laugh: But is it hard for everyone to take that there ARE NO KINGFISH IN WEST LAKES! OMG!!! Sambo

Ive been watching this thread with interest, as I was lucky enough to get stuck into a school of rugger snapper in west lakes near the rowing club with fellow angler J Walkley. All fish where approx 33-35cm.I was planning on fishing the same area the following year to see if they had grown to legal but didnt get round to it as I live down south.Just the sheer array of fish in the lakes indicates that anything and everything can get in there as juveniles.The big question we need to ask is, are the rat kings that we see along our coasts...ie Marino (where I hooked about an 8lber), are these escaped farm fish..if so then they may have escaped at an age that is too big to get into west lakes. It seems to me that no one has caught any Rat kings that are tiny, and I mean a size that could swim into the lakes. Not sure exactly what size they would need to be, but Im thinking that the Kings are not breeding in Gulf st vincents at all. Ie not spawning? if someone could categorically say that yes, they have spawned in this gulf, then at that stage, I would say there is every chance that they will find there way into the lakes as the Snapper did and all the other fish that are currently found in there!Cheers,Brett

Your an idiot mate, your trying to heckle logic to make YOURSELF feel better MATEMr Willy, I agree with you 100% Translocation of fish eggs via birds is a big possibility if you still want to argue, however i have no doubt in my mind that if anything of a small enough size wants to go into the lake it will. fish do what they want, and "you never know". i dont even want to write anymore as it seems such a 'no brainer" to me.Guess its cus i haven't got my brain smothered with Berkeley stickers :P

Your an idiot mate' date=' your trying to heckle logic to make YOURSELF feel better MATEMr Willy, I agree with you 100% Translocation of fish eggs via birds is a big possibility if you still want to argue, however i have no doubt in my mind that if anything of a small enough size wants to go into the lake it will. fish do what they want, and "you never know". i dont even want to write anymore as it seems such a 'no brainer" to me.Guess its cus i haven't got my brain smothered with Berkeley stickers :P[/quote']Yep i'm an idiot you got it in one mate B) I have never said they could'nt, have only said they are NOT in there...This all started from this question...... Howdy Guys,I heard a rumour that there are supposedly Kingies in the lakes, not big ones but I was informed that they are there. Now what I would like to find out has anyone else heard about the odd Kingie lurking in thereAnd the answer i gave and am sticking with is NO... It's not real hard and if i'm an idiot for that, then i quess i am :laugh::laugh: Sambo

Is it Possible...probably Yes.IMO, are there any in there right now....NO! All the regulars like Sambo have not hooked one yet. Hes using techniques and covering a vast area of the lake by yak, so he has a huge chance of atleast hooking one if there was any in there.No one else is coming forward saying they have seen one caught in the last few years, ie there is no evidence of one being caught, so it looks like a no to me at this point in time..

Don't get it with the name calling. If you've fished westies and caught a kingie, that'll disprove the naysayers. What we have here is an experienced West Lake fisho who has caught almost all the species in West Lakes and yet to catch a Kingie. The reason Sambo's saying no is because he hasn't caught a kingie and neither has there been solid proof that someone else has through photo evidence. If he's really such an idiot, why don't the ones who disagree spend the next 1 year fishing west lakes, catch your kingie and show beyond all doubt that kingies exist. I'm with Sambo here.Urhookedfish brought up a really valid point which seem to have been ignored. Habitat issues? Similar to why certain fish available in other states aren't available here in SA despite the ocean being connected. Since I'm in a squidding mood, giant squids aren't caught in SA waters for the same reason.

Don't get it with the name calling. If you've fished westies and caught a kingie' date=' that'll disprove the naysayers. What we have here is an experienced West Lake fisho who has caught almost all the species in West Lakes and yet to catch a Kingie. The reason Sambo's saying no is because he hasn't caught a kingie and neither has there been solid proof that someone else has through photo evidence. If he's really such an idiot, why don't the ones who disagree spend the next 1 year fishing west lakes, catch your kingie and show beyond all doubt that kingies exist. I'm with Sambo here.Urhookedfish brought up a really valid point which seem to have been ignored. Habitat issues? Similar to why certain fish available in other states aren't available here in SA despite the ocean being connected. Since I'm in a squidding mood, giant squids aren't caught in SA waters for the same reason.[/quote']Cheers mate ;) Sambo

So because samboman hasn't caught one in there that must mean they aren't there.....Well I fish the Murray very regularly using techniques that could catch Murray Cod yet I haven't seen nor caught one in the past few years so there mustn't be any Murray Cod in the Murray.Until very recently despite using all the right techniques I had never caught a Silver Perch in the Murray - must've meant they only swam in there very recently.... Up until then they mustn't of been there....I'm not saying they definitely AREN'T in there.... Like everyone else I am saying it is highly possible they are.... Just because they don't get caught doesn't mean they aren't there... They are hard enough to catch at the best of times, let alone if there were only a few in the WHOLE system......

I reckon if there were any kingys in west lakes we would have heard more than a rumor by now. You can't catch a tommy in this town without everyone knowing what bait, line, hook and reel you were using. I doubt kingys would be able to hide in there for long, especially since so many people target mulloway with the same baits that a kingy would take and none have been captured yet that I am aware of.Is it possible that one could get in there? I dunno, probably but I am thinking that it's unlikely there are any in there right now since the law of averages would see at least one being caught by a mully fisho over the past few years.

Don't get it with the name calling. If you've fished westies and caught a kingie' date=' that'll disprove the naysayers. What we have here is an experienced West Lake fisho who has caught almost all the species in West Lakes and yet to catch a Kingie. The reason Sambo's saying no is because he hasn't caught a kingie and neither has there been solid proof that someone else has through photo evidence. If he's really such an idiot, why don't the ones who disagree spend the next 1 year fishing west lakes, catch your kingie and show beyond all doubt that kingies exist. I'm with Sambo here.Urhookedfish brought up a really valid point which seem to have been ignored. Habitat issues? Similar to why certain fish available in other states aren't available here in SA despite the ocean being connected. Since I'm in a squidding mood, giant squids aren't caught in SA waters for the same reason.[/quote']I know people who have fished the Coorong since the day they were born yet never once landed a Snapper nor an Atlantic Salmon, yet I now know from PIRSA Fisheries that both of these species are caught within the Coorong area every year.....Just because one person who fishes the lake has never caught one doesn't mean they aren't there... How many experienced fishos go to Coffin Bay or Pt Augusta every year chasing Kingfish and won't see one....
Don't get it with the name calling. If you've fished westies and caught a kingie' date=' that'll disprove the naysayers. What we have here is an experienced West Lake fisho who has caught almost all the species in West Lakes and yet to catch a Kingie. The reason Sambo's saying no is because he hasn't caught a kingie and neither has there been solid proof that someone else has through photo evidence. If he's really such an idiot' date=' why don't the ones who disagree spend the next 1 year fishing west lakes, catch your kingie and show beyond all doubt that kingies exist. I'm with Sambo here.Urhookedfish brought up a really valid point which seem to have been ignored. Habitat issues? Similar to why certain fish available in other states aren't available here in SA despite the ocean being connected. Since I'm in a squidding mood, giant squids aren't caught in SA waters for the same reason.[/quote'']I know people who have fished the Coorong since the day they were born yet never once landed a Snapper nor an Atlantic Salmon, yet I now know from PIRSA Fisheries that both of these species are caught within the Coorong area every year.....Just because one person who fishes the lake has never caught one doesn't mean they aren't there... How many experienced fishos go to Coffin Bay or Pt Augusta every year chasing Kingfish and won't see one....
That is a really really good point though Mr Willy, if there were any Kings in there, the numbers would be that low that the chances of capture could be next to none.Ie I have only hooked one Metro Kingfish in my lifetime.I think if there were a couple of Kings that had made it in as Juveniles, they could live there life in there without us even knowing it. We all know how smart Kings are as well. Any fish in there could be as spooky as.
Don't get it with the name calling. If you've fished westies and caught a kingie' date=' that'll disprove the naysayers. What we have here is an experienced West Lake fisho who has caught almost all the species in West Lakes and yet to catch a Kingie. The reason Sambo's saying no is because he hasn't caught a kingie and neither has there been solid proof that someone else has through photo evidence. If he's really such an idiot' date=' why don't the ones who disagree spend the next 1 year fishing west lakes, catch your kingie and show beyond all doubt that kingies exist. I'm with Sambo here.Urhookedfish brought up a really valid point which seem to have been ignored. Habitat issues? Similar to why certain fish available in other states aren't available here in SA despite the ocean being connected. Since I'm in a squidding mood, giant squids aren't caught in SA waters for the same reason.[/quote'']I know people who have fished the Coorong since the day they were born yet never once landed a Snapper nor an Atlantic Salmon, yet I now know from PIRSA Fisheries that both of these species are caught within the Coorong area every year.....Just because one person who fishes the lake has never caught one doesn't mean they aren't there... How many experienced fishos go to Coffin Bay or Pt Augusta every year chasing Kingfish and won't see one....
Your point would be valid had my argument stopped at JUST samboman being the be all end all. My argument extends to the non-existence of evidence of Kingies. You seem to have missed this point of mine. I used Sambo as he is the most experience West Lakes fisho on this forums who has posted about the Kingies so I'd trust him more than speculative talks. At the moment, it's all speculations. There MAY be a Kingy but until SOMEONE, it doesn't have to be Samboman, catches a Kingie, it's highly doubtful that there is one. There're so many fishos out there who frequent West Lakes. You'd think for a catch as rare as a Kingie that it'd make the news in one way or another.

Alright, I'll qualify my statement by first saying that I've fished (or used to) fish Pt Giles jetty a helluva lot. One time I saw a school of Dolphin fish cruise past. Big suckers they were and one fella hooked one and we got a real good look before it fell out of the crab net they tried to land it in. This was a fluke, but a very pleasant occurrence that Im really happy to have witnessed and it remains a great memory for me and my old man :) ....but does that mean I ought to admit to dolphin fish being a viable target from the end of Giles??? No way and I think that was the spirit of the question asked at the beginning of this thread 'that kings are IN westlakes'. 1. I have fished westlakes and port system since I was a kid. And now a days get a fair bit of info from fishing aqaintances and tackle rats in store.... Never ONE single report I've heard.2. If I had to pick one person for an opinion on what's available in WestLakes, it would be SamboMan who knows the place like the back of his hand. You don't just wake up one morning and regularly catch the trophy bream and mulloway from the system. With out power boat access, the kayakers are the ones most likely in the know.... And Samboman happens to be the state champion hobie breamer and top ten in Australia. Probably the bushy or starlo of our westlakes system!!!!(and I don't know this fella or have any interest in blowing sunshine up his bum :blink: it's just the Facts).There ain't any Kingies in Westlakes fellas ;)There isn't any black and white in this world and all the theory in the world can prove something but if in Practice there's no capture, you may as well argue the existence of the loch ness monster. Discussion and disagreement is good, but no name calling hey lads. Else I have to come back as Jack the moderator in Blue Ink ;)Cheers all

Some pretty big fish leave and reenter the Lake,there is a Large grill at the inlet pipe and a similar at the outlet but they would almost be 30cm square,I know Ballz has tagged reasonable schoolies in the port that have been recaught in the lake 12 months on.As to whether there are Kingies in there......who knows? i reckon one day if the number of Port rats improve then its a possibility. cheers brenton

Just because one person who fishes the lake has never caught one doesn't mean they aren't there... How many experienced fishos go to Coffin Bay or Pt Augusta every year chasing Kingfish and won't see one....
The difference being that West Lakes is an enclosed' date=' man made lake and Coffins/Port Augusta are not.[/quote']Yes i understand that, but West Lakes isn't 10m square either..... There are plenty of places for Kingfish to hide and never be seen regardless of how often one fishes the area....

this is a list of everything caught in the lake to date.BreamFlounderGarfishKing George WhitingMulletMullowayRockfish/ Rock WrasseSalmon TroutSnapperTommy Ruff/ Australian HerringTrevallyTrumpeterWhitebaitBlue Swimmer CrabSquidCuttlefishFlatheadYellowfin WhitingSand WhitingCatfishLuderickCowfishLeather JacketSweepGurnardOctopusCarpPort JacksonFrogmouth PilchardEelBronze WhalerPrawnsBlind MulletSnookMusselsMorton Bay BugTortoiseBlue Ring OctopusRock CrabsRazor FishAngelfishRed Mulletnope no Kingfish :boot: