Up until a recent trip to North Queensland the biggest GT i'd caught was about 2 kilos.At this spot near the barrier reef the GT's are huge.You're just fishing for coral trout, nannygai etc when these GT's rockup and rip 10 pound reef fish off your line and bust your rigs.I had a great time getting busted off by them plus catching a few.The biggest one was too heavy to lift and i'm guessing it had to be around 45kgs. A smaller one that was weighed was 33kgs and it was fairly easy to lift. A much smaller one of around 20kgs took a jig. They like to eat reef fish though and i've attached a bait photo.These fish released well.

DSCF0072.JPG

DSCF0071.JPG

DSCF0084.JPG

DSCF0077.JPG

DSCF0063.JPG

• 5 months later...

Hi RaiderPound for pound i think GT's and Kingies would have to be equal as the two toughest fighting fish in Australia for their size.I caught those GT's off mission beach with my dad in his quintrex but it was surprising that you could also go out on small charter boats (around 20-25 feet) and catch such awesome fish for $150 a day.You don't have to spend thousands of dollars on nomad charters or a grand a day each on some bloody great million dollar Riviera out of cairns to catch massive GT's.From what i notcied these small charter operators hardly even advertise their services.

• 2 years later...

Hi guys, an old thread thread but I did manage some Gt's last year in Exmouth, not as big as nanman's but was stoked with my first attempt. Lost the biggest one on the last day unfortunately. Love the diversity of that place, can catch just about anything over there, have to get back,haha, cheers

2013-05-08 09.24.17.jpg

2013-05-03 19.58.15.jpg

Exmouth is an amazing place. I've never been there but hope to some day. The fishing is apparently out of this world with a huge variety of species.

As for GT's they are without doubt my favourite fish to catch.

Having caught quiet a few more since 2010 when i made the initial post i am now convinced that pound for pound they don't fight as hard as a kingfish BUT there's other facets to GT's which make them my favourite fish to catch.

The violence with which they smash a popper never ceases to amaze me and usually has me in uncontrolled fits of laughter for around 20 seconds after hookup.

Last October i went back up to North Queensland for my annual trip to visit Dad. Opportunities to catch GT's are fairly limited with Dad because like most North Queenslanders he views GT's as a useless garbage fish since they are not edible. A lot of people up there still fish with 400lb handlines as fishing is viewed more as an exercise in freezer filling than anything else.

Cheers guys, we spent 5 days there and no where enough time but just tried to take it all in as best we could. Spanish macks,queenies, spangled emperor,red emperor,longtail tuna,shark mackeral,cobia,gt's,big golden trevally aswell. Even teased up a little black marlin on the last day too but was spooked by some killer whales , hahaha. Good thing about Exmouth is everything eats lures. We also spooked a school of bonefish on the flats too which was pretty cool.here's a pic of one of my big golden trevally,caught this on a plastic,cheers

942346_10200960712001440_578280344_n.jpeg