banning shark fishing on jetties

just saw a snippet about the banning of shark fishing on jetties after another shark being caught on ten news tonight! here we go again a couple of do gooders spoiling it for the rest of us!!! if this law comes in it will be up too them to prove i was targeting sharks and not snapper or rays!!! get ready for a shit storm everybody... man this pisses me off!!!

The burley from normal fishing is an effective shark attractant, because we all know that burley will bring in the small fish, then the predators come to eat them.. And so on up the food chain until the big toothies arrive. Any average boat fisho that is busy catching snaps will know first hand. They are only after snapper but quite often as seen on this forum of late, a big fin will pop up :ohmy: Not to mention what some clowns put in their crab nets off metro jetties.By banning shark fishos floating out a balloon, it will in NO WAY decrease the number of sharks entering our swimming beaches. IN NO WAY and I ain't no marine biologist, just a try hard fisho :boot::P

Unfortunately Jack, I don't think you need to convince people on this website. I am sure that the members on here know that it is absolute rubbish. The sharks are there regardless of whether people fish for them or not and always have been. The general public just don't like seeing them or thinking about it and want someone to blame for them being there. this is where the poor recco fisherman gets the blame.The problem is, that as usual it will be that vocal minority who yell the loudest and I can see a time coming in the very near future where shark fishing will indeed be banned. This won’t be due to any valid reason or science, just pure political pressure by the uneducated community.The same problem applies to many issues, in that we really have no voice.

Just seen it on Channel 10 news. I reckon we're already stuffed. The Fisheries Minister agreed that it didn't "look" good and they we be looking at a ban in populated areas.All the Media hype just adds fuel to the already blazing fire.It may already be a "done" thing.

I reckon you are right...... I reckon they will ban Metro jetty shark fishing.... Sambo

dowesnt help though man when the minister of fisheries is for banning the shark fishing on the jetty... and to be honest it will come down to as previously said who can yell the loudest and pursuade the governement and the ministers of fisheries that it is a wrong thing to do.... everyone on the site thinks its crap... however instead of saying all this and not letting something happen, might be an indea to put ur case to the government and fishiers to say that what we do is completly safe and does not put anybody in harms way....my 2 cents nyway ;)

if they ban shark fishing fisheries have no balls.

You need to understand' date=' at the end of the day, it is a politician, (Fisheries Minister O'Brien), that will make the decision. He is a politician. He does not care about fishing or recreational anglers. He cares about public perception / votes. That will make the decision for him.Again, most of the mums and dads that take little Johnny down to the beach for a swim and sees a fisherman bring in a [i']'Man Eating' [/i]Shark panics and says this must be stopped. They think the sharks are there because people fish for them and fear one will eat their child. This is the attitude that needs to be changed. They need to be educated about the fact that sharks have always been there and fishing for them or not makes no difference.

that politics for ya m8 unfortunantly.... however like i said in my post b4 it happens because no one takess it further and puts a PROPPER case to the government and minsiters... if u try well then u can say uve done everything u can... but theres no harm in putting ur case forward and showing your interest in it....

just an idea i do fish for sharks land based sometimes and the biggest problem is people calling news to brag about it not smart in my opinion as it just creates un neccecary publicity!!! so if you catch a shark DONT call any form of media if you want to keep doing it! i know sometimes on lookers sometimes try but you need to convince them its in there best interests not to!!!Jamie

just an idea i do fish for sharks land based sometimes and the biggest problem is people calling news to brag about it not smart in my opinion as it just creates un neccecary publicity!!! so if you catch a shark DONT call any form of media if you want to keep doing it! i know sometimes on lookers sometimes try but you need to convince them its in there best interests not to!!!Jamie

Mate, who the @#$& would call the media?? do you know people that catch and call? Where do you get this info from?Sambo

hey matebefore you have a go at us, get your info right, i didnt call the media and nonone else did, it was someone that was swiming and they asked me for a inteview and i said no, then i saw one of those "do gooders" talking to them so i thought be better they inteview me instead of him.get you info right before your have a go mate

If you know what O'brian ( fisheries minister ) did to the prolobster fishery this year, ( reduced quota, and closed october) withno scientific evidense, you land based shark fishos have no chance !The pro lobster fishery has a lot of pull, and they could'nt changea thing ! Good luck..... the blokes a cowboy !!!!Tim.....

Sorry to hear if there is a shark ban but fingers crossed it's all media BS :)Just my two cents (and not having a go) I was told by a pro cray fisherman on the weekend that we have the best cray industry in aus. Because of all the quoter changes over the years. And he told me that you can catch crays just about anywhere these days. But why slaughter the industry today where tomorrow there will be none.. Same with the snapper I would put my 110% support behind a snapper ban for October/ November and a TAC so that in 50 years time I am still able to catch them. I think we need to sit back and realize the things we do today effect tomorrows outcome.

If all you shark fishos out there are serious about maintaining your existing rights, then start eMailing your concerns to the relevant Minister, Hon. Michael O'Brien.eMail address is as follows:minag@sa.gov.auCheersarcherfishPS Ch 10 report tonight was sensationalist bulls*it - they are obviously not aware that Bronzies are not man-eaters.

thanks archerfish... as i was saying in my posts and what archerfish is saying is that uve gotta get ur concerns and views through or else it will happen.. if you give it a go and put ur opinion threw and show evidence/ and what not it will give them something to think about...I have a relative that works in fisheries/primary industrys and he has stated if people voice there opinions and write letters and show evidence and what ever else they do seriously take it into consideration... but atm its only the people that are agianst sharking off jetties forwarding there views....i have expressed my view to my relative and have said that hopefully other people will be getting on board as there is alot of fishos out there that are against it and willing to prove a point that the public arent in harms way at all... Brayden

ban it they may but there are always loop holes some where .you would have to see what the wording of the new law to see what you can get away with .I mainly fish off the bottom cast out my penn 6/0 or what ever with a lump of squid or fillet and chill and what ever happens will this effect me who knows .So for now shark as much as you can and stick it to the man because i will ;)

just saw a snippet about the banning of shark fishing on jetties after another shark being caught on ten news tonight! here we go again a couple of do gooders spoiling it for the rest of us!!! if this law comes in it will be up too them to prove i was targeting sharks and not snapper or rays!!! get ready for a shit storm everybody... man this pisses me off!!!

LOL Snake it's going to happen this time... Just like stupid marine parks... The thing is they'd better ban crabbing too cause they are the pricks that are attracting the sharks, makes me laugh that Fisheries ban use of meat/Chicken then give them crabbers a natural burley source to bait up with who is running this GONG show.. Yeah im pretty pissed too....

not quite sure why you jumped on your high horse for no reason i know for a fact some idiots call them dont need to say who or when but at the end of the day i dont have to prove anything to u...i was just saying it so if anyone did catch something they would try and keep it from getting to the media rather than promoting it like some idiots out there do!ive got a boat now so at the end of the day ill do it in the boat if i have to but i do like the option of fishing off the jetty sometimes when its not full of pissed idiots and illigal crabbers everywhere..maybe we should start calling the news every time its hot and the crabbers are in force and dob them in for using meat....also do you guys know if fisheries cant help you sometimes the police can i know they do rock up in ardrossan but could be worth a try other than that we start throwing them off the jettys lolhope i dont offend anyone as i am just saying my thought ...

hey matebefore you have a go at us' date=' get your info right' date=' i didnt call the media and nonone else did, it was someone that was swiming and they asked me for a inteview and i said no, then i saw one of those "do gooders" talking to them so i thought be better they inteview me instead of him.get you info right before your have a go mate[/quote'']

This summer there seems to be quite a few large brozies caught off local beaches yes,and for me its all weather related after years of drought on land and sea, finally the rivers are flowing and the sharks have come as the rivers act like burley streams.The Minister should be advised by PIRSA that this is just probably a freak summer and normallythere isnt this many large sharks caught of local beaches. lets see if our minister listens to the people he pays!Id like to know how they can ban JUST shark fishing? calling the press isnt a good idea for us either,but ive noticed quite a few been landed in daylight hrsthis year and this is why the press are there..too many non fishos see the capture.i used to be the only one sharking in the mornings now it not like that.well now that its raining lots they will be swimming up the Torrens . becarfull mums and dads when your kids are feeding the ducks!my $2 worth!

yeh i have absolutely no idea how my photos of my shark yesterday got to the media

Tom, they have no right to use your photos without your authorisation!Contact them to lodge a complaint, and if they have already gone to print, they must also compensate you for the use of your photos!If they offer $400, demand at least $800! ;)

As far as more sightings are concerned there are actually LESS sightings this year than at the same time last year. Up until yesterday I have been notified of 7 (from the shark plane and this has only been in the air for a week and a half), and from November until last weekend only 8 frm the SLSA helicopter on the weekends, and they were actually between 150m to around 500m out and most of them have been away from the jetty. BTW today there have been no sightings.