can't decide on surf rod length....

I'm buying a sensor surf (medium/heavy) in the next few days and I can't decide between a 12ft or a 14ft...The 12ft casts 2-4oz and the 14ft casts 2-5oz and both recommend 20-40lb lineIf it helps at all i'll most likely be running this with a stradic 6000 with 30lb braid. I'm leaning towards the 14 footer as I reckon the length could come in handy..Any advice/opinions greatly appreciatedCheers

ive got two surf rods, a 144 7w, (12ft)and the other a 153 6w (12' 9")both snyderglass...and fibreglass.they are both awesome rods,and will handle some big fish, but the big rod is the power rod... for really big things, BUT it does get heavy teemed up with the alvey... for true salmon beaches where i wouldnt put it down often, it makes for a tiring day., the extra lentgh doesnt mean extra casting distance... its not about how hard you can chuck a lead, its how fast you can chuck it...with the smaller rod, you will hear the whip on the cast...and they will both sail a bait out about the same distance

Gday.Ive got surf rods varying from 10' to 13'.I recently got given a 13' Sensor Surf and love it.Like previously mentioned: rod length is not the only thing that'll get baits a good distance. Rod action, timing, speed and technique need to be given thought too.A longer rod can help to keep your line out of the shorebreak but 2 feet in extra length makes only a small difference on the angle that your line goes out at. A higher/longer rod holder can often help.Good luck with the decision making. Let us know how you go.Cheers.

I said the length could "come in handy" which doesn't really indicate anything specific. Two feet of length defintitely does add to casting distance but it also will help keep the line out of the surf. I understand there are many factors to a good cast but thats not what i'm asking...Will a 14 footer be more handy than a 12 footer? Obviously it means I can cast heavier sinkers which could prove useful on rougher days but what do people prefer?I absolutely intend on using an alvey rod bucket if i'm holding the rod or it will be in a rod holder so the extra weight the extra 2 foot will add is negligable. The difference between a 10ft rod and a 12ft rod is huge when casting so I would assume the 14footer would only add more length to the cast and hold line clear of heavy surf.Have many on here used 12 and 14 footers?

I said the length could "come in handy" which doesn't really indicate anything specific. Two feet of length defintitely does add to casting distance but it also will help keep the line out of the surf. I understand there are many factors to a good cast but thats not what i'm asking...Will a 14 footer be more handy than a 12 footer? Obviously it means I can cast heavier sinkers which could prove useful on rougher days but what do people prefer?I absolutely intend on using an alvey rod bucket if i'm holding the rod or it will be in a rod holder so the extra weight the extra 2 foot will add is negligable. The difference between a 10ft rod and a 12ft rod is huge when casting so I would assume the 14footer would only add more length to the cast and hold line clear of heavy surf.Have many on here used 12 and 14 footers?

Gday.You didn't really state what specific information you were seeking in your original post. You did however ask for "opinions" which is what I gave.Go for the 14 foot model. It sounds like you'll need it.Cheers.

Length isn't everything when it comes to surf rods...it depends a bit on if you are after a salmon rod or a genuine mulloway/shark unit. I use a 10 foot custom for surf mulloway, that is built to throw heavy star sinkers and big sloppy baits with comfort. A sturdy 10 footer can really put the brakes on a big fish. If you're just after salmon i'd consider 11 or 12 feet, but i reckon 14 feet is a bit cumbersome and most of them lack a bit of grunt and versatility.

• 1 month later...

Cheers for the responses :)Sorry i've been slow to reply but i've been a bit slack recently ;)Ended up getting the 12 footer with a saltiga surf. VERY surprised at how far it casts.... I won't push it too hard but easily smashed out 3 ounces of lead loaded as hard as i could :) :) :) Measured roughly what the cast was on google earth and managed around 130m (I knew where I was standing in a campground and casting at a reef).Completely blew everyone away (myself inclusive) but there was very slight wind on my back and i was casting from hard ground so obviously i couldn't do this on a beach. Repeated it several times and destroyed the lead on the reef :) almost folded the thing in half.Very happy with the rod so thankyou again for your input :)