"quality"baitcaster for $150

Hi all.A nephew of mine has decided he'd like a baitcaster for Xmas.Seeing as I'm the only one in the family that fishes,it's up to me :ohmy: Not being a tackle junkie,or up on the latest models / brands etc,I'm after some good advice.Reckon something that will fish 10 or 12lb mono........or 20lb braid easily.Mainly fishes freshwater,but sometimes Yorkes jetties with me B) So all suggestions taken on board........I can see he'll lose patience with it,and I'll finish up "buying it off of him" :lol: Last baitcaster I bought was the "Roll Royce" of it's time.........Shimano Bantam!.....before the magnets were in them :whistle: Cheers

Gday.I got a Shimano Coriolis for my ticket into the world of baitcasters. I have done a bit of dry land practice casting with it and have used it in the water a few times. I think it'll be a long while before I feel the need to upgrade it.It was about $100 when I got it about a year ago, the price shouldn't have changed much.Cheers.

For that money you should be able to get a good little reel. I assume you will be getting a low profile one like your little bantam, I too started with one of these and still crack it out for a thrash 20years + later, and I reckon your nephew may be able to do the same if you go with one of the big 3 in this field ABU, Daiwa or Shimano. Start him on mono and if he is keen he should get the hang of casting in no time, just make sure you can give him instructions on how to adjust the reel to cast the desired weight and give him some pointers on basic tecnique (ie thumbing the spool when the weight/lure hits the water) so he doesn't have to go out on his own to work out/learn how to cast (like I did) and inadvertantly discover how to create the biggest birds nest in all history (also like I did). :P Remember you need a proper matched bait cast rod as well though I suspect you are on to that as too.You have one lucky nephew, happy shopping. ;)