Internet Tackle Not Covered By Warranty

Hi all,This is a notification we have received from Jarvis Walker regarding Warranty and Spare Parts on all their products. 24 November 2010Notice to Australian tackle retailers: Internet tackle not covered by warranty Jarvis Walker Brands has announced that all future parts requests or warranty claims on Penn, Fin-Nor and Quantum reels must be accompanied by a receipt proving the reel was purchased from an Australian business. The move is a result of an increase in volume of fishing reels entering Australia through online transactions with sellers from other countries. Jarvis Walker Brands Director Trevor Maundrell said “Tackle purchased online from other countries is a major threat to the future of good service from Australian tackle suppliers. Consumers need to be aware that if they purchase products from overseas and something goes wrong, or the goods are factory seconds, reconditioned stock, or otherwise not the quality they were expecting, their only recourse will be to send it back to that international supplier for after sales servicing and warranty claims. Jarvis Walker Brands will no longer accept any parts or warranty claim without a proof of purchase from an Australian business.”“Jarvis Walker Brands will certainly continue to offer excellent back-up service for all our products purchased from Australian businesses, including those reels purchased from Australian tackle stores offering online services,” said Maundrell. Jarvis Walker Brands’ after sales service is managed by its subsidiary Angler’s Central Service Centre (ACSC). ACSC is the biggest dedicated after sales tackle facility in the southern hemisphere, offering a parts and service facility for the growing list of fishing and marine brands developed and/or distributed by Jarvis Walker Brands.Jarvis Walker Brands has also announced they will be undertaking a marketing campaign to encourage consumers to purchase their tackle from local businesses to secure the future of quality after sales service. The campaign is scheduled to launch in January 2011. For more information on Jarvis Walker Brands products and after sales service, visit www.jarviswalker.com.au, call Anglers Central Service Centre on (08) 8244 8790, or email info@anglerscentral.com.auBoone – Fin-Nor – Gary Howard Performance Rods – Jarvis Marine – Jarvis Walker – Jarvis Walker Outdoors – Penn – Quantum – Rovex – Ryobi – Tsunami – Watersnake

• Replies 76
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Hi all,This is a notification we have received from Jarvis Walker regarding Warranty and Spare Parts on all their products. 24 November 2010Notice to Australian tackle retailers: Internet tackle not c

Bloody beautiful :woohoo: Too many people out there calling themselves Aussies and not supporting their home turf.Working in the marine industry i see so many sounder/GPS units come in for warranty th

Congrats to Jarvis Walker.Figures just released show more than $6 billion is spent on internet purchases.Surely if it's convenient to buy products o/s which are readily available in Oz, it's just as convenient to return them to the o/s supplier for repairs.Talking with a rellie today who owns a computer store. Regularly have people come in with a laptop for repairs claiming they bought it from him. They get quite peeved when told "You have never bought from us" or "We've never stocked that brand" or "That model has never been available in Australia"Surely we have to put a $ value on good advice and service and not simply look at the $ value of the product.

Bloody beautiful :woohoo: Too many people out there calling themselves Aussies and not supporting their home turf.Working in the marine industry i see so many sounder/GPS units come in for warranty that have not been bought in Aus and it gives me so much pleasure to shrug them off and tell them to send it back to where they bought it from..Spend a week in the store learning how to use/work the unit then never see them again until they have a problem with the unit they've purchased overseas

I'm a big suporter of buying local but can also see the value in purchasing some items overseas,, on a recent trip overseas I picked up a reel and sounder for half the price that I would pay in Aus, if any problems occured with them I could send them back os 4-5 times on warranty claims and still be infront $ wise at the end after paying all the shipping.cheers:)

I agree with Piranha. If some of these local shops advertised how much mark-up was on some products we would be horrified. I know for a fact 250% on some clothing items I looked at. If the wholesaler can import and distribute these items (and make a profit)for a price, say $30 why should they charge $90 in store???I know this was one example but it just goes to show the world is changing and old business practices need reviewing thanks to the www.

Prices will almost always be better online due to the nature of the market.Likewise service' date=' advice and confidence in product will almost always be better in a tackle shop. It's the consumers call.[/quote']Couldn't agree more.One thing that is really bad though is how 1onmepillie says, people will go into a local store and waste their time getting heaps of advice and handling the product... And then they piss off to the Internet and buy that product!Not on I say, some people are just tight asses with zero shame or respect. Just my two cents :whistle:
Sounds a bit like that old saying " Buy Cheap Pay Twice " :whistle:
Some of the tackle you get isnt cheap man' date='its just cheaper then you get it here' date=' like a penn international,id rather have 400bucks in my pocketFSW[/quote'']I agreee. I was gettting at the fact that wether the price is cheaper or not, you wont get the advice and help you'd get from a tackle shop and that advice and support can be valuable in itself ;):)

Was reading on another forum that Lowrance has now put a lock on GPS units so they can't be used in Australia if purchased from O/S as well... I support the local Tackle Shops but if they are purchasing at a lower price they should also pass the $$ saving onto the customer... Fair is fair IMO

It's interesting when people start throwing around 'mark-up' as though it's some disease.The notion that a 100% markup is clear profit is a joke.100% mark-up on a product = 50% Gross Profit.66% mark-up = 40% Gross profit.Now, out of that gross profit, all running costs must be taken out to leave you with a net profit. And you have a stock level around $50,000 plus paid for and sitting the shelf.Sure there are some products you can buy way cheaper on the net and as others have said where will you go for local advice and service when the owner/operator with a staff with years of experience is no longer there.Let's take things to another level. should we start bringing tradies from the Phillipines and pay them - let's be generous - double their normal wage which would still be miles under current costs.Ultimately it's up to the consumer to decide but when your local bloke shuts up shop..................:whistle:

I agree with Piranha. If some of these local shops advertised how much mark-up was on some products we would be horrified. I know for a fact 250% on some clothing items I looked at. If the wholesaler can import and distribute these items (and make a profit)for a price' date=' say $30 why should they charge $90 in store???I know this was one example but it just goes to show the world is changing and old business practices need reviewing thanks to the www.[/quote']Hahaha you've got to be kidding me...Obviously you've never worked in a "Australian" retail outlet.Its people like you we are talking aboutAs for 250% mark up, in the 16yrs i've been in retail you'd be lucky to put that on a $2 squid jag Best you just keep supporting WWW so we can focus on genuine buyers ;)
I agree with Piranha. If some of these local shops advertised how much mark-up was on some products we would be horrified. I know for a fact 250% on some clothing items I looked at. If the wholesaler can import and distribute these items (and make a profit)for a price' date=' say $30 why should they charge $90 in store???I know this was one example but it just goes to show the world is changing and old business practices need reviewing thanks to the www.[/quote']Hahaha you've got to be kidding me...Obviously you've never worked in a "Australian" retail outlet.Its people like you we are talking aboutAs for 250% mark up' date=' in the 16yrs i've been in retail you'd be lucky to put that on a $2 squid jag Best you just keep supporting WWW so we can focus on genuine buyers ;)[/quote']I didnt intend for this to turn into a shit fight but since you asked....No, I am not kidding you. Its a true story. Do you really think it doesnt happen? Its amazing what you see when you have close ties to the importer.By the way before someone brings up the fact that these local shops have to employ staff, pay insurance, pay electricity, rent a shop/warehouse....tell me the importer doesnt have to do that also!Like some people have said, its the advice and service that makes it worthwhile going into your local.
I agree with Piranha. If some of these local shops advertised how much mark-up was on some products we would be horrified. I know for a fact 250% on some clothing items I looked at. If the wholesaler can import and distribute these items (and make a profit)for a price' date=' say $30 why should they charge $90 in store???I know this was one example but it just goes to show the world is changing and old business practices need reviewing thanks to the www.[/quote']Hahaha you've got to be kidding me...Obviously you've never worked in a "Australian" retail outlet.Its people like you we are talking aboutAs for 250% mark up' date=' in the 16yrs i've been in retail you'd be lucky to put that on a $2 squid jag Best you just keep supporting WWW so we can focus on genuine buyers ;)[/quote']I didnt intend for this to turn into a shit fight but since you asked....No, I am not kidding you. Its a true story. Do you really think it doesnt happen? Its amazing what you see when you have close ties to the importer.By the way before someone brings up the fact that these local shops have to employ staff, pay insurance, pay electricity, rent a shop/warehouse....tell me the importer doesnt have to do that also!Like some people have said, its the advice and service that makes it worthwhile going into your local.
;) this topic is always good for a decent shit fight :woohoo:

The other point that most people overlook when "talking" about overseas internet pricing is sales volume.Fishing tackle and marine electronics sales in the US are in the tens of BILLIONS of dollars,in Australiai it is in the tens of MILLIONS of dollars.Basic maths tells you that turnover in the billions allows for lower markups and lower profit margins compared to turnover in the millions.Yes prices in the US can be significantly lower than in Oz,but the target sales markets are extremely different.Look at this way,the total number of fisho's,boaties etc in the US is probably GREATER than the entire population of Australia.

My understanding with all this after to speaking to many tackle shop proprietors over the years is that generally the importers like shimano, daiwa, jarvis walker etc make mega bucks whereas the tackle shop owner who works 60 hours a week makes very little by relative comparison.Also if you can get a reel half price from overseas its not because the tackle shop is ripping you off but rather the importer.Its a bit of a conundrum really because you want to support your local tackle shop but don't necessarily want to support the big importers. Unfortuantely its a bit hard to support one without also supporting the other.At the end of the day i like to see and touch a product before i buy it therefore prefer to shop locally. Also for the sake of saving $200 on a saltiga or stella i couldn't be bothered buying it from overseas.As a keen angler i'd be really disappointed if i didn't have my local tackle shop which is open 7 days a week.

WOW, how is it that I've missed being in the middle of a burner? :woohoo: OH, I forgot, I've been trying to make a buck with my massive markups while the Xmas cheer & spirit is here. :whistle: :whistle: B@K said & don't get me wrong I'm not here to slam youit's interesting when people start throwing around 'mark-up' as though it's some disease.The notion that a 100% markup is clear profit is a joke.100% mark-up on a product = 50% Gross Profit.66% mark-up = 40% Gross profit.Now, out of that gross profit, all running costs must be taken out to leave you with a net profit. And you have a stock level around $50,000 plus paid for and sitting the shelf.well a little incorrect my friend, that was B4 the GST era :evil: so now 100% markup is in fact only 44% GPProfit is actually not a dirty word, we all exist because of it, just seems a little in the favor of the wrong people when bank bosses that in fact do little other than oversee their workers cash in on multi million dollar a year deals while you & I struggle away at $30 bucks an hour & get the same value speeding ticket for the pleasure of going to work.Stock levels are an interesting thing to discuss from a tackle trade view point, simply if we don't have something you guys want, we can't sell it. Y'all expect us to carry whatever it is you're looking for & fair enough too but it has to pay its rent on our shelves.So from a business perspective, why would we want to sit on a Stella, Tiagra, Saltiga, International or any other high end or frequently bastardized product while we all, that is you & me as an individuals, not us as retailers, can buy them offshore on the internet for $200 less than we as dealers buy them for from the Wholesale trade in Australia & then remember plus GST for us of which none of y'all are declaring when these things come in from Plat, Meltons, Bass Pro etc.If I make an example, I buy a Saltiga for $899 but thats not the end, plus GST now makes it $988.90, now click on another tab & google a Saltiga to find that you can buy it for $760 USD have it delivered to your house in 4 days, don't declare the value over $400 & get it duty free if you don't get caught.Why don't I buy from overseas myself then onsell it to my business you may well ask. The answer lies in the very real risk of Warranty as this post started to advise, not to mention top end stuff being serial numbered so the wholesale trade knows the origin of its sale. Then of course to risk losing access to these products by backdooring the very companies that spend their millions on advertising & in turn drawing people into our stores to touch those very products. Not cool.Anyhow, my reel still sits on its shelf & assuming I bought it on an overdraft coz money costs money, it now owes me $1030 that model sells in Australia for $1050, so, ask yourself would you invest $1030, to, at a chance of getting your money back maybe one day, make $20?If you've just answered yes, please come see me as I could use about $200k at the minute & @ .02% interest I'd love to do business with you. I have many a Shotgun, Crossbow & Pistol to buy, these of course cannot be bought on the internet so my investment has some sort of protection.Finatic

Got it wrong FINATIC, bank bosses don't even "oversee their workers" lol, the only thing they oversee is shareholder profits and their own bank accounts :P It's a bit hard to justify sticking it to YOU guys for making your millions on mark up :P When the greedy, slobbering, fat bastard bank execs are currently raping us hard!!!!!And on a serious note it's bad enough for me with ONLY a mortgage, the small businesses are the ones that can't avoid mister pig greedy banker. If you really thought about it you'd get so mad with rage your head would explode :woohoo: no joke And that's without getting into government fees, charges and the fact that my personal little financial world is hit hard from nothing more than inflation caused by mining companies ripping out our resources and giving em to China. The retail sector is still up the shit, our wages are still up the shit... Etc et bloody cetera yet people would rather get on a forum and bag a fellow fisherman down the road for having a $20 mark up on a STELLA :blink: End of rant... Cheers and tight lines

Hi all' date='This is a notification we have received from Jarvis Walker regarding Warranty and Spare Parts on all their products. 24 November 2010Notice to Australian tackle retailers: Internet tackle not covered by warranty Jarvis Walker Brands has announced that all future parts requests or warranty claims on Penn, Fin-Nor and Quantum reels must be accompanied by a receipt proving the reel was purchased from an Australian business. The move is a result of an increase in volume of fishing reels entering Australia through online transactions with sellers from other countries. Jarvis Walker Brands Director Trevor Maundrell said “Tackle purchased online from other countries is a major threat to the future of good service from Australian tackle suppliers. Consumers need to be aware that if they purchase products from overseas and something goes wrong, or the goods are factory seconds, reconditioned stock, or otherwise not the quality they were expecting, their only recourse will be to send it back to that international supplier for after sales servicing and warranty claims. Jarvis Walker Brands will no longer accept any parts or warranty claim without a proof of purchase from an Australian business.”“Jarvis Walker Brands will certainly continue to offer excellent back-up service for all our products purchased from Australian businesses, including those reels purchased from Australian tackle stores offering online services,” said Maundrell. Jarvis Walker Brands’ after sales service is managed by its subsidiary Angler’s Central Service Centre (ACSC). ACSC is the biggest dedicated after sales tackle facility in the southern hemisphere, offering a parts and service facility for the growing list of fishing and marine brands developed and/or distributed by Jarvis Walker Brands.Jarvis Walker Brands has also announced they will be undertaking a marketing campaign to encourage consumers to purchase their tackle from local businesses to secure the future of quality after sales service. The campaign is scheduled to launch in January 2011. For more information on Jarvis Walker Brands products and after sales service, visit www.jarviswalker.com.au, call Anglers Central Service Centre on (08) 8244 8790, or email info@anglerscentral.com.auBoone – Fin-Nor – Gary Howard Performance Rods – Jarvis Marine – Jarvis Walker – Jarvis Walker Outdoors – Penn – Quantum – Rovex – Ryobi – Tsunami – Watersnake[/quote']You just can't beat over the counter service. You can go into your local tackle store and 'try before you buy' that way you know what you are getting and can get good back up service should something go wrong ;) How does this though affect online Aussie stores like Mo Tackle & Ocean Online Tackle store :huh:

Why would you want to purchase from Mo Tackle or Ocean Online when you can get the same deals in the local tackle stores and not have to pay postage?If you shop around you will find some of their prices are higher than you will pay local. (I check their website all the time and there are a lot of their items that we are the same price or cheaper)Is is because the TV stations tell us its cheaper to buy online??Perhaps Gerry Harvey and all the major retailers should cancel all their TV advertising until the TV stations stop plugging online buying.Example Why would you by Penn Internationals from Mo and pay postage when you can buy them from us at Compleat Angler or Kim at Tackleworld (as posted on this site earlier this week) and pay the same price no postage, get some customer service and keep a local in a job. Maybe one day it might be your son or daughter that comes to us looking for a job but if the trends stay the same as they are at the moment maybe none of us will be in business and there will be no jobs for your children.We could quite easily set up an online store and work from home. We could save myself $$$$$$ and have a lifestyle not work 7 days a week, have a day off when we wanted but we employ 3 fulltime staff and a casual that would then be out of work.We can't have our cake and eat it too. If we want jobs for ourselves and our children we have to create them. Buying local is creating a job for you and your children. This is not just the tackle industry it is all retail.Spotter

Running a small welding business myself at the moment and can only boggle and the amounts some small retailers have to cover for shelf stock. I've got about $15k worth of steel in the rack and that looks like bugger all, a shop full of tackle, forget it on any mortgage I could raise!Not ever forgetting the mantra that "the customer is always right" it is amazing how the modern internet era has made people accustomed to getting what they want, now, and for a really cheap price. Amazing the look on their face when the imported cheap item lives to its design life and needs replacing and you answer their enquiry with " I could have made that, out of solid material, with decent powdercoating, and it won't break in your lifetime, for about fifty percent more than you paid initially".Support good local products and services and you will get good local products and services in return.WannabePS: forgot to add, Paul from Bitewell fishing bits and etc at Glenalg helped me out when I had a week off recently and I can't thank him enough!

I recently visited my old "local tackle shop " in the Uk on a recent trip backThey had 3 rods and 2 reels in stock. This shop was 4 times the size of your average got one hereAll they sell now is terminal tackle and bait with clothing (people usually like to try it on to make sure it fits)The owner said thats the way of most in the UK as the majority of gear is sold on line or through "catalogues" so that people can pay weekly over 3 years We tend to follow the UK and America by about 5 years with trendsThe smaller tacle shop will soon be gone being replaced with BCF and Kmart with their superstores and the servos and delis selling the baitSad really:(

No probs with the correction finatic....:blush: Further illustrates the point.............thankfully no longer in the game.:) I owned an industrial wholesale business.........and Lord Blackbilly hammered in the final nail.................reality....:S

PS: forgot to add, Paul from Bitewell fishing bits and etc at Glenalg helped me out when I had a week off recently and I can't thank him enough!I have been a customer at Bitewell for over thirty years and cannot speak highly enough of the service.It is a small shop so Paul can't display everything he stocks and half of his stock is out the back.He carries an amazing amount of stuff including top end Daiwa(saltiga etc ) so don't be fooled by the look of the shops exterior.He opens at six every day of the year except Christmas.Paul is a wealth of good info.Do yourselves a favour and have a look at this great little old schooltreasure trove on Anzac highway next time your down at Glenelg.

• 2 weeks later...

Watch all the Tackle stores fold when these Marine Parks come in, you guys moan about the internet, not that i don't blame you but when i can purchase four lures O/S for 8 bucks a pop and have them posted to my door for $5 more!! The same lure costs me $26 per lure here in Australia ya can't blame the consumer thats 4 lures for less than the price of 2.......... I agree support our local tackle shops keep them in buisness but buisness owners can't keep whingeing about the net because im sorry it aint ever going away..... Just like the stupid Marine Parks............. Cheers

So, for all my gear which I've had for years and looked after and bought either new or 2nd hand and if I want to get spares now I can't as far as receipts go I don't have any, either haven't kept them or they have faded and are illegible.This is more like another ploy to dig deep and buy more gear given that you can't fix what you have and that has got to suck big time.:pinch: