Considering having a go at fly-fishing.

Gday.I've been a "conventional" fisho for some time but after watching an old Rob Sitch & Tom Gleisner series called "A River Somewhere" I'm considering a foray over into "The Dark Side".How do I do this? I will state that I have NEXT TO NO IDEA ABOUT FLYFISHING. I have picked up that the flies are very light and it is the line that does the casting... but my knowledge has a few holes still.Here begins my thousand qestions:What does "weight" refer to? How does is compare to "conventional" line weights?What sort of rod & reel should I start out with? What species should I target?I will have a troll through the posts in the Flyfishing section for info, but any tips/hints/pointers/etc that could be thrown my way would be greatly appreciated.Thanks very much.Cheers.

I've gotten into it pretty recently...Just bought my first decent outfit, loving it!I started by catching a few redfin and trout in SAFWAA dams - with a $70 7 weight combo I picked up here on S+H. Lord Blackbilly held a fly-fishing day at his property several months back - where newbies were paired up with more experienced fishos. It was here I caught my first fish, after popping the cherry it all came much faster!SAFWAA has fly rods that are up for loan to members - with membership a mere 60 bucks a year it would be a great place to try flyfishing, and also have someone take you out and give you a few pointers. Without it I would've strugged through teaching myself more than I already did.Not trying to shamelessly plug the club, but is sure did help me out!

I totally agree with MarsOne. I went to the Fly fishing day, tried it for the first time, liked it, and now I have 2 rods, a 4W & a 6W I've caught trout in dams and on the river and at the moment it's the only fishing I do. :)Try this site for a good view of many questions you may have.http://www.sexyloops.com/beginners/index.shtml

After a bit of trolling through the posts in the Fly Fishing area, I have found out a little bit of information. With information comes more questions, here they are:I think I might start with a 7 or 8 weight outfit at about 9' long. How much will I need to spend on a rod to get a decent bit of gear? ie- not a rod I will outgrow in 5 minutes and have to replace anyway.I will be targeting Mulloway, Bream, ST, Flatties, etc, will a 7 or 8 weight rod do the job?How much should I look to spend on a reel, line and backing to suit the aforementioned rod?What sort of flies should I initially be looking at purchasing to target the species above?Apologies for all the questions, thanks for any hints/tips/suggestions.Cheers.

Maybe tee up a day with mars one reelin rangfish or who ever and come down and have a fish at mineI hold open days but if you come down with a safwaa member you can borow our loan rods for the day and have a try here anytime I'm a bit busy at the mo with work otherwise I'd do it myselfI tried it 10 years ago bought gear never used it, tried 5 years ago never did it again tried this year and do it every week nowIts not really something you learn out of a book. I wouldn't waste severalhundred dollars on gear unless you know you will stick with itHave a day down here, fly fish a bit, have a spin then a bit more fly and break the day up, see if you like itYour $50 safwaa membership would be money well spentIts all about the sharing and bragging anyway

It's $60 per annum but currently I believe the Membership officer has it set as $56 till the AGM (July ??) either way... awesome value and massive variety of fish, dams, fishing buddies, experience, tuition (if you ask nicely), equipment....anyway I could keep going but you get the picture !! I've paid more than $1000 per year for golf membership and not got anywhere near the joy as I do from SAFWAAJags(SAFWAA Treasurer)

geez only a thousand :o my boss plays at glenelg and is a member... were talking thousands of dollars a year and the silly thing is that there is a waiting list for it :o.... ill stick 2 my $700 membership at willunga... but yeh ive only just started to fly fish and i love it... havent popped the cherry yet but its awsome fun... and SAFWAA is a great club... ive met a few good fishing banga buddies along the way and have caught only trout but u have got so many options on places to fish species to target etc etc....