Port Augusta kingifsh

For a few years now i've been reading in awe about the fish being hooked around this area and have always wanted to head up and have a crack. Finally got the boat trailer road worthy etc and have already had one shot for zilch, but in general the feeling this season has been very poor, especially considering the awesome run of fish encountered last year!Does anyone have any theories as to why the fish haven't made an appearance this year?

Guest addict

the fish have made an appearence there just there when your not you just have to keep going and trying good fish like mulloway and kings dont come easy just ask srick {SMILIES_PATH}/cheesy.gif and you say you have only been once only a lucky few get a king on there first trip for some it may take a few seasons if ever at all ive been trying for big mulloway for years i dont go once a month i try every weekend and that big fish still eludes me i know its comming but when i dont know but the reward and feeling of success will be all but sweet with kings there hard enough to get one to bite even harder to land good luck there mate

I think you've mis-interperated this post. In no way was i expecting to have nailed a fish so easily, I'm no stranger to hard work and persistance, just ask butters. We've done some hard yards and are still learning how things work, but we've both spoken with quality fishos around the palce who regularly try for the kings, and the general feeling is that they have been very slow when compared with previous years..The point i was trying to elude to, is that do you think the taking of a trophy fish every week from the same location has seen a decline in numbers this year?

Guest addict

sorry there bennyboy i have noticed the fish arnt bitting when theres heaps of boat traffic last time i went for 3 days the first day there was lots of boats and no fish on day 2 there was no boats and we hooked 4 fish and landed 2 and on the last day no boats again and we got no fish but did see a few i do think the boat traffic could be a massive factor to them going a bit timmed its probably going to be busy there for the next month which really sux but where all there for the same thing its probably best now to get up there during the week because the weekends are busy as

hi bennyboy.. i think it could of been a bit why, but in sayin that ive been there three times already this year for a total of 12 days on the water and i have had no hookups yet. i have been given and gained over the years some great knowledge and seen first hand in my boat and friends boats next to me that they do work( my mate rob that got that brute45.5kg even fishes the exzact way as me)or me the same as him :wink: getting them to bite is the hard part and to quote addict keepin them on is even harder. as ive seen first hand lol. also i have a mate that lives up there that got snapped off 21 times believe it or not berore his first.any way its just they are very finicky this year, too many boats. the fishin was better last year as people were willing to wait for em and not just trawl around makin noise like some idiots from victoria have been doin lately. kingies are known to hate that up there. good luck anyway if you head back next year.

Yeah that's cool fellas,We have spoken with a few of the boys i think you fish with so our information is pretty similar. Like i said everyone seems to believe that in general a very poor season :cry: Anyway butters and i are heading over there at 1am tomorrow morning for a quick shot....

you guys had a tough day by the sounds of it skins told me you guys lucked out on the squid he lucked out on kings again the first time i went to portaugusta i got the boat in the water and the basterd wouldnt work so i know how it feels to have a bad trip next time ya go even take some fresh squid or garfish and put your rods on the bottom as if you were going for snapper they bite on the bottom also at least that way ya can still have a go and you dont have to relly on live squid at least youll have another back up plan

Well we found squid so easily last trip that we figured that even if we struggled we'd still be able to find 2 or 3 baits, but like you said we should've had a better back up plan! All part of learning i guess! {SMILIES_PATH}/shocked.gifops: Skins had a touch whilst he was on the phone, his first touch all season too!