Anyone doubt that RFLs work???

You've got passion Ranger and more importantly you beleive firmly in your cause B) This debating (no! not masturbating) game is a heap of fun mate don't you think??? ;)

No mate! I understand your point of view though, because IF we have the waterways and impoundments to stock here in this state, sure a license probably would help cover that for the freshwater guys and improve their fishing opportunities.I don't fish the fresh at all though. I only do the saltwater thing, I only want to do the saltwater thing, and the cost of having a boat sitting in the driveway, which I'm rarely getting the chance to use due to ever rising costs, has really gotten me down. I cant say I use the thing to catch fish, coz realistically with me being a sh*t fisherman it's far cheaper to buy the fish down the road if I want it, and I rarely come home with much to justify my investment, other than a bit of a fun day out......at least while not being stalked by others, annoyed by jetskis, abused at ramps or rained on!I don't really wanna part with the thing, but over the past few months I've really been giving it serious consideration. It will be a sad day, but sometimes there are other more important things in life!I don;t want others telling me that I should be paying more, I dont want others asking me to voluntarily pay more, I dont want others condemning me for not wanting to pay more, and I dont want others saying their are representing my views!I guess my next question is, as a license would mainly only benefit freshwater fishos by way of restocking projects, why don't you lot get together, push your case, hold a huge membership drive, then contribute yourselves? Pool your cash and resources to cover what YOU want and do it YOUR way without interference! The Freshwater Restocking License! User pays!
  • Replies 116
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

All you guys that think it's better interstate, you should spend your money by moving there.

The powers that be should change the "save the murray' levy to a 'fish the murray' levy, theres very little decent freshwater fishing oportunities in the rest of the state so people shouldn't be expec

Posted Images

It's really not rocket science' date=' "You use it, YOU pay for it!"The benefits far out weigh the negatives of just sitting on your 20 bucks a year for your RFL and getting nothing at all, while the interstaters reap massive benefits for their small outlay.[/quote']Its not a small outlay at all Tony.As ALL my family fish, all be it not as frequently as myself, I could be asked to pay around $80.00pa. Couple to this the $150 I pay to be a member of a boat club.The $60 I pay to be a member of an angling clubthe $1200 pa I pay to insure & register two boats & the respective trailersthe similar amount spent pa on maintenancethe tax & excise I pay on the fuel on those boats.I used to agree with you that we needed one but I have seen the light as it were. I am not confident that the money would be managed effectively & the smaller population of SA when compared to Vic & NSW mean that we would never reach the dissying heights reached by those two states.An itroduction of an RFL would mean something had to go and I can tell you now, guess which would be the first! No point paying for something twice!
It's really not rocket science' date=' "You use it' date=' YOU pay for it!"The benefits far out weigh the negatives of just sitting on your 20 bucks a year for your RFL and getting nothing at all, while the interstaters reap massive benefits for their small outlay.[/quote'']Its not a small outlay at all Tony.As ALL my family fish, all be it not as frequently as myself, I could be asked to pay around $80.00pa. Couple to this the $150 I pay to be a member of a boat club.The $60 I pay to be a member of an angling clubthe $1200 pa I pay to insure & register two boats & the respective trailersthe similar amount spent pa on maintenancethe tax & excise I pay on the fuel on those boats.I used to agree with you that we needed one but I have seen the light as it were. I am not confident that the money would be managed effectively & the smaller population of SA when compared to Vic & NSW mean that we would never reach the dissying heights reached by those two states.An itroduction of an RFL would mean something had to go and I can tell you now, guess which would be the first! No point paying for something twice!
I hear your pain and everyone elses mate but to re-quote a famous person's quote:"There are two things certain in life and they are, DEATH and TAXES"Neither of these are all that popular with "Homo Sapiens" but we do live with them ;)What's one more tax here or there?, life still goes on and don't forget that no civilized Country in the World can manage its affairs without them ;)

I used to agree with you that we needed one but I have seen the light as it were. I am not confident that the money would be managed effectively & the smaller population of SA when compared to Vic & NSW mean that we would never reach the dissying heights reached by those two states.

I find this really interesting!Until now I thought forums were where people come to put their views forward, but nothing ever really changed! The more people argue the point about a subject, the firmer they actually dig in their heels and become stronger in their own convictions, while completely disregarding the views of others!I'm pleasantly surprised that maybe these type of discussions DO actually help to make a difference!

HOME TRUTH:, not a blind thing any body says on this Forum of ours makes a jot of difference in the world out side of it! However, as already stated recently, we can have a hell of a lot of fun debating it!The real world is lobbying your politicians, forming Clubs of various interest groups,combining your collective voices in our State Recreational Fishing Council and making sure your voice is heard where it really counts, in the Halls of power, the Government!Here endeth the first lesson ;)

"There are two things certain in life and they are' date=' DEATH and TAXES"What's one more tax here or there?[/quote']Yep, I recon we covered this one previously over this same arguement of RFL's too!Do ya remember WHO the quote came from though, and some of his others?Give ya a hint..............famous American! ;) Here, these will refresh your memory, but unfortunately wont do anything to assist the case for an RFL, in fact, the opposite:A penny saved is a penny earned. Beware of little expenses. A small leak will sink a great ship.Beware the hobby that eats. Buy what thou hast no need of and ere long thou shalt sell thy necessities. By failing to prepare, you are preparing to fail. Distrust and caution are the parents of security. Experience is a dear teacher, but fools will learn at no other. God helps those who help themselves. Half a truth is often a great lie. I conceive that the great part of the miseries of mankind are brought upon them by false estimates they have made of the value of things. If a man empties his purse into his head, no one can take it from him. Laws too gentle are seldom obeyed; too severe, seldom executed. Many a man thinks he is buying pleasure, when he is really selling himself to it. Rebellion against tyrants is obedience to God.That's enough, but he's got plenty more!

RFLs ever do come in i wish for a purpose built jetty for fisher people or one of the metro jetties extended for us land luvers with rod holders running water, bait boards ,toilets, shade etc etc i dont care if i have to pay to get on them. They have them in the US sorry i forgot this is adelaide the cant do state sorry 4 the rant tight lines

U wanna see Bretts Knob again :unsure::huh: :sick: :blink: :S :pinch:
Where does it say that? :huh:
I hear your pain and everyone elses mate but to re-quote a famous person's quote:"There are two things certain in life and they are' date=' DEATH and TAXES"What's one more tax here or there?' date=' life still goes on and don't forget that no civilized Country in the World can manage its affairs without them ;)[/quote'']Tony its not pain or even a whinge, its a simple fact much like moggy has eluded to, added costs / burdens are passed on down the line. As I have no way of recouping my additional expenses it means that something has to go. I find your comment of "whats one more tax here or there" to be infuriating & offensive. Maybe you can add just one or more of my bills to yours & anyone else who supports this view out goings as it would be "just one more"I wonder too in what capacity your views are held? Are your views shared by the club which you preside over, or are these your own views? Have you thought about the future of said club if an RFL is introduced and access to otherwise off limits sites becomes available? I for one would not be paying twice!Further, where does this magical $20 p.a fiqure come from because its $24.50p.a in Victoria & $30.00p.a in NSW. I'm sure for it to be sustainable here in SA the fiqure would need to be at the higher end of the two, perhaps more! Remember besides administration & policing costs, there will be those selling the RFL who, im sure will look for a cut of the earnings & rightly so.If your group or SARFAC are advocating an RFL then I fear you are out of step with the people you represent and if we are wrong about RFL's then you as a group need to do more to sell the idea to us as a whole. By your own admission no amount of debating / discussion here will change things so why do you persist in fueling such debate? Wouldnt yours & SARFAC's time be better spent educating the fishing public as to the pro's of such a scheme?Not meant as a personal attack prez, but I am a little sick of you pushing the pro RFL barrow. I think its been said before, if its such a great thing lobby to have an inland / freshwater RFL and see what effect it has. If its a success then expand it to be an all waters RFL. After all this is exactly how the Vic & NSW versions began.
Guest boys day out

Tony its not pain or even a whinge, its a simple fact much like moggy has eluded to, added costs / burdens are passed on down the line. As I have no way of recouping my additional expenses it means that something has to go. I find your comment of "whats one more tax here or there" to be infuriating & offensive. Maybe you can add just one or more of my bills to yours & anyone else who supports this view out goings as it would be "just one more"I wonder too in what capacity your views are held? Are your views shared by the club which you preside over, or are these your own views? Have you thought about the future of said club if an RFL is introduced and access to otherwise off limits sites becomes available? I for one would not be paying twice!Further, where does this magical $20 p.a fiqure come from because its $24.50p.a in Victoria & $30.00p.a in NSW. I'm sure for it to be sustainable here in SA the fiqure would need to be at the higher end of the two, perhaps more! Remember besides administration & policing costs, there will be those selling the RFL who, im sure will look for a cut of the earnings & rightly so.If your group or SARFAC are advocating an RFL then I fear you are out of step with the people you represent and if we are wrong about RFL's then you as a group need to do more to sell the idea to us as a whole. By your own admission no amount of debating / discussion here will change things so why do you persist in fueling such debate? Wouldnt yours & SARFAC's time be better spent educating the fishing public as to the pro's of such a scheme?Not meant as a personal attack prez, but I am a little sick of you pushing the pro RFL barrow. I think its been said before, if its such a great thing lobby to have an inland / freshwater RFL and see what effect it has. If its a success then expand it to be an all waters RFL. After all this is exactly how the Vic & NSW versions began.

I second that THANKS CK :woohoo: :woohoo:
Guest boys day out
I don't think the Farmers would be trusting the current Government at the moment' date=' trying to tax the water that they use out of their own dams and not upping the 60% to 100 or 120% water rights with all that water passing their door step. :sick:[/quote']Ill march to the beat anyday. MoggyO when the band comes marching in :whistle: :whistle: :whistle: :whistle:

I am a safwaa member and and also an RFL supporter. Ive bitten the bullet and forced myself to face the fact that nothing will happen in the states feshwater impoundments until coinage is coughed up.I think both can co-exist as Safwaa stocks large numbers of natives.Im hoping that through an RFL good numbers of trout can be stocked into major impoundments.Being both a member of Safwaa and an RFL license holder would (although doubling your payment) would also double your fishing opportunities and chances.Combine the two together and its less than the price of a good trout rod!! Compared to what I spend in lures per year the combined fees of SAFWAA and and RFL would be small change.

Guest boys day out

I am a safwaa member and and also an RFL supporter. Ive bitten the bullet and forced myself to face the fact that nothing will happen in the states feshwater impoundments until coinage is coughed up.I think both can co-exist as Safwaa stocks large numbers of natives.Im hoping that through an RFL good numbers of trout can be stocked into major impoundments.Being both a member of Safwaa and an RFL license holder would (although doubling your payment) would also double your fishing opportunities and chances.Combine the two together and its less than the price of a good trout rod!! Compared to what I spend in lures per year the combined fees of SAFWAA and and RFL would be small change.

That fine for you fish freshwater you PAY DONT expext for the rest of us to pay for you to fish freshwater

Here's some food for thought, whichever side of the fence you stand:Southern Fisheries magazine, Volume 7 Number 3 Winter 1999

A major review of the recreational fishing industry in Sth Australia is addressing a wide range of issues including improving fish stocks, research needs, infrastructure development and resource planning. Danny Simpson, Manager of Recreational Fisheries for PIRSA and Aquaculture, said the review was aimed at "improving the quality of recreational fishing". In this article, Danny looks at the issues relating to recreational fishing licenses. Over the past years, two events have created a lasting impact on the way recreational fishing is managed. The first of these occurred in New South Wales, where an Inland Recreational Angling Licence was re-introduced after many years in abeyance. The second, and perhaps the most significant, was the announcement of the introduction of a saltwater recreational angling licence in Victoria, the first of its kind in Australia. Observing the events surrounding the introduction of both licences provides an interesting insight into the values and attitudes of recreational anglers in Australia. It also clearly demonstrates the scepticism this group holds towards government. The introduction of an inland licence in NSW was nothing new. For many years, a license was required to fish the inland waters of NSW before it was abolished in the 1980s. Victoria, Tasmania have each maintained inland angling licences for many years. However, what is unique about the inland angling license in NSW is that it was re-introduced through the weight of public demand. Anglers in those States with inland fishing licences have derived significant benefit from their licence fees. Positive programs have included: stocking of freshwater impoundments with native fish and trout the rehabilitation of degraded fish habitats vital research into the biology and habits of freshwater fish species These initiatives have been funded through inland recreational angling license fees. The establishment of large impoundment fisheries in the Eastern States, particularly in NSW and Queensland, where man-made lakes and reservoirs are stocked with a range of native fish, is an exciting development in the world of recreational fishing. The public demand for increase stocking of many other impoundments, and its willingness to pay for such activities, was a clear demonstration to the NSW Government that the community would accept the re-introduction of an inland angling license. This was only on the proviso that all monies generated through the license were used exclusively for the development and management of recreational fishing in NSW. The financial benefits to recreational fishers derived from the license (now in the vicinity of $2.5 million) continue to accrue. NSW Fisheries has recently appointed a number of additional officers to its Fisheries Compliance Unit. It has also announced the end of commercial fishing in the inland waters of NSW. The Victorian situation, while apparently similar in origin, appears more prescriptive in its intent. For many years there has been a great deal of conflict between commercial fishers and recreational anglers in the bay and inlet fisheries of Victoria. The competition for fish in these areas has steadily increased as more people take up fishing. The result is that fish stocks have been placed under enormous pressure and many species are either fully or over-exploited. In an attempt to resolve the situation, Fisheries Victoria undertook a survey of recreational fishers to determine attitudes towards a community~funded scheme that would effectively reduce the number of commercial fishers in the bays and inlets. More than 60 per cent of respondents supported such a scheme by endorsing the introduction of a Saltwater Recreational Fishing Licence. Recently, the Victorian Government said that $7 million dollars would be made available for a voluntary buy-out of commercial fishers from bays and inlets. The money would be progressively repaid by the community through the introduction of a Saltwater Recreational Fishing Licence. It is expected that significant funds will be generated by the introduction of a Saltwater License covering Victoria's 880,000 recreational anglers, and that many other activities, such as increased compliance and research will result. However, not all anglers are in favour of the NSW and Victorian license schemes. The many seemingly positive announcements regarding the benefits of these "user-pays" schemes have been accompanied by strong objection from many recreational fishers, particularly in Victoria. Some opponents of both the NSW and Victorian systems consider the licensing or recreational activity as an imposition on the basic freedom. The cost is not significant, however, it is this area that generates the most opposition. The anti-license lobby is mindful of the potential impact that a recreational fishing license may have on fishing-related business. It is argued that the imposition of a further financial burden on the anglers will effectively discourage participation in fishing, thus reducing associated economic activity, particularly in regional economies. Recreational fishing is big business. In Sth Australia alone, recreational anglers spend $350 million a year. Nationally, this figure climbs to about $5 billion and does not include the substantial investments in boat and tackle. A survey of visitors to a Sth Australian west coast caravan park revealed 88% of all occupants were there for the salmon fishing that occurred in the area. It is this type of activity that opponents of recreational licenses claim will diminish. They say if recreational fishing licenses are introduced, the cost will simply be too high. Administration of licensing systems, such as those adopted in both Victoria and NSW, is traditionally high, particularly when one considers the sheer number of people involved. Perhaps justifiably, many fishers are fearful that the revenue generated from licences will be absorbed by administration costs, and that little money will actually be seen working within the recreational fishing industry. However, experiences in both Victoria and NSW tend to defy this theory. The Narrandera Native Fish Centre in the Riverina region of NSW expects to breed and release over two million native fish fingerlings in the coming year. in Burriniuck Darn alone, some 140,000 callop and 30,000 Murray cod fingerlings have been released this year. A review of the South Australian recreational fishing industry has been operating for the past two years. This review has examined options for the management, development and regulation of recreational fishing in SA, and will shortly culminate with the production of a comprehensive strategic plan that will define the path for recreational fishing in this State. The intent of the strategic plan will be to develop and promote South Australia as a world class recreational fishing destination that has suitable levels of infrastructure and, more importantly, quality fishing available to all local residents and visitors. The strategic plan will be developed by the. Recreational Fishing Industry Review Committee that comprises members from all over South Australia It will define a number of activities that require funding for the plan to be implemented. The outcomes will create many benefits for recreational fishers in this State and will include such things as restocking programs, targeted research, better compliance, quality infrastructure and resource allocation issues. In the current economic climate, governments are severely constrained in their abilities to service all community demands, including recreational fishing development. More onus is being placed upon the community to define its priorities by clearly sending messages to the government on what it is willing to pay for and to what extent. Many people will be aware that over the past three years a comprehensive review of South Australia's recreational fishing industry has been undertaken. The focus of the review is to gain a clear understanding of the biological impact of recreational fishing on fish stocks and the socioeconomic benefits generated, particularly in regional economies. No doubt many readers have been involved in the surveys and consultation. The data reflects the enormous significance of the recreational fishing industry. But it is a fact that the benefits derived from the industry have evolved with almost no strategic direction. This lack of direction does not necessarily imply that the development of the industry has been unsuccessful. in fact, the high level of investment by service providers is a clear demonstration that the recreational fishing industry in South Australia is strong and vibrant. Recent surveys have shown that over 450,000 South Australians go fishing at least once each year. This number is staggering in itself. But when it is realised that, in pursuing recreational fishing, these people expend more than $350 million annually on a range of goods and services. They have invested about $ 1.1 billion in boats and fishing equipment. Clearly, recreational fishing is big business But it can be much bigger. Recreational Review Update A major objective of the review of recreational fishing in South Australia is the development of a strategic direction that the industry may follow in the future. The obvious goal of this strategy is to build upon the benefits that recreational fishing already provides to the State through the development of a range of initiatives that will attract more investment. In developing such initiatives, there is a fundamental philosophy - in fact, a legal requirement - that the health of South Australia's aquatic resources is maintained in a fit and healthy state. In 1997, PIRSA Fisheries and Aquaculture released the Fisheries Management Series Discussion Paper No. 23, entitled The Management and Development of Recreational Fishing in South Australia. This document considered a number of items that were thought to require attention if recreational fishing was to develop and realise its potential. importantly, the document provided a real opportunity for recreational anglers in South Australia to present ideas to government on how they wanted their industry to progress. A number of thoughts and initiatives were suggested by the recreational fishing community. These ideas provide the basis for the development of the strategic plan for the management and development of the recreational fishing industry in South Australia. Earlier this year, the Recreational Review Committee was formed with the objective of developing the Strategic Plan. The committee comprises members from the South Australian Recreational Fishing Advisory Council (SARFAC), regional Recreational Fishing Committees, and major recreational fishing associations. At its initial meeting, the committee defined goals including the need to: define, develop and optimise the economic and social benefits of recreational fishing in South Australia protect and enhance the long term quality of recreational fishing attract local, interstate and overseas interest and investment in South Australia through the development and promotion of a world-class recreational fishery provide for the long term care and protection of the aquatic environments understand and meet the current and future requirements of the recreational fishing industry in South Australia enhance and promote public awareness and understanding of the principles of fisheries management integrate the principles of ecologically sustainable development into the management of recreational fishing in our State. The committee has since met on a number of occasions to progress the development of the plan. It has focused on a number of key areas considered fundamental to achieving the goals outlined above. Of particular significance, and in keeping with its responsibility as a key partner in the care of the resource, the committee has focused heavily on ensuring that the State's fish stocks and aquatic environments are maintained and where necessary enhanced. The strategic focus areas include: sustainable fish stocks healthy environments education and public awareness quality and diversity of fishing community ownership business development There is a strong focus on further developing business opportunities in the recreational fishing industry, and in ensuring community ownership and responsibility for the fishery. More competitors for the recreational dollar will enter the marketplace. Unless the recreational fishing industry as a whole adopts a strategic approach to development, it will diminish in the face of this increasing competition. The strategic plan for the management and development of the recreational fishing industry in South Australia allows the recreational fishing community and government to form an alliance in ensuring that this already significant industry realises its true potential. The draft plan is expected to be released for public comment later this year. Danny Simpson Manager Recreational Fishery PIRSA Fisheries and Aquaculture

Very old news I know, but I wonder what the PIRSA view is on it these days? Anyone think they should be asked?Then again, maybe the whole marine park issue is currently taken precedence, and in the short term THAT is what we should all be concentrating on as a first priority to affect us all!

:cheer: So true BDO, I wouldnt want my love of freshwater to effect anyone boating or fishing in the Saltwater.I agree also that our Saltwater scene here in SA is pretty damn good. I wouldnt want that too change because as you say boaties cop it from all angles.Clearly should be a Freshwater RFL..Id be more than happy with that.

Guest boys day out
:cheer: So true BDO' date=' I wouldnt want my love of freshwater to effect anyone boating or fishing in the Saltwater.I agree also that our Saltwater scene here in SA is pretty damn good. I wouldnt want that too change because as you say boaties cop it from all angles.Clearly should be a Freshwater RFL..Id be more than happy with that.[/quote']Thankyou ;)

Clearly should be a Freshwater RFL..Id be more than happy with that.

That's what they did in NSW........but does fracturing our community actually help? :huh: Doesn't everyone say we ALL need to unite to achieve anything and be heard? For example, how many freshwater anglers are there in this state? 60,000 at an uneducated and generous guess just for an example?60,000 x $20 = $1,200,000.Take out what, half for administration, which I guess is less than being taken out interstate?$800,000 remaining.We ourselves called for extra fisheries officers to police it, say $60k per annum each.Just 2 of them for the whole state. $60k x 2 = $120,000.$680,000 remaining.One research project into the suitability of restocking X area with Y species!Whoops, not enough cash!No benefits yet, maybe we'll have to now make your license fee $50 per annum before you start to see any benefit!Maybe in 5-10 years they might decide it IS viable to attempt stocking an area somewhere, but your license fee is gonna have to rise so that they can afford to buy the fish! If ya want a fishing platform, boat ramp, toilets, taps or other services, gee, they cost a whole lot more! ;) All totally fictional and unsubstantiated of course, but I'm sure you see the issue here. We are not Victoria or NSW, and our population is far smaller. We are still a classed as a regional area in this country of ours!

Just read through this whole thread and wondered how a RFL for fresh would impact on SAFWAA, ie would membership increase or decrease? If access to major, stocked, impoundments was given would there still be the interest in small privately owned dams stocked by a club which has expectations of its members behaviour?Having seen the contempt with which the Warren has been treated by some sectors of the fishing community I think any RFL should be at least $50 - $100per person plus an annual fee of the same amount per impoundmnent to cover the cost of security with a very hefty fine and lifetime ban for breaking the rules. Means that there should be enough money to cover stocking and security and if you really want to fish it then you pay for it and the amount you pay and the possible penalties involved for being an arsehole should force a bit of respect for what you are getting.Mind you it could just as well apply to some of the stories we hear about the saltwater as well.Wannabe

Mine was the masturbation license quote. You can thank another player for that memorous little number! You can have the pleasure of placing it into the hall of fame yourself!Just as long as it's all friendly and in the spirit of good natured fun' date=' which I'm sure it was! ;)[/quote']
Yeah Moggy23's quote:laugh: classic,, will have a go at transfering it,,, definately in the spirit of good natured fun Mate;) cheers