Carpsi got meeself a stella 8000SWPG 25kg's max drag should land most tuna.i'll be back at portland this year fishing with a mate Gawaine from Think Big Charters from westernport sometime in may, deckie/designated driver for a few days.did it for 4 days last year & can't wait to be back there again.we bagged out every day while some other charters were getting donutsi'm gunna get me a barrel this year & i reckon stella 8000 will do it.we used stella 18 & 20000's last year & on 18-25kg school fish you could land them in a couple minutes under huge drag pressurecheersBigAsh

Probably should add heading out thorny passage to fish for Tuna has the potential to be dangerous in a trailer boat if there's a reasonable swell running and particularly if there's also a strong tide and a bit of wind.A strong tide really lifts the swell up at the entrance to thorny passage which can make it very dangerous.But provided the swell and wind are down and you have good general boating skills then there's not really too much to worry about.

Hey carps I bought that dogfight/venom rod combo you put up' date=' it's a bloody nice combo! Was actually very impressed with the rod too :) Haha now to catch something on it...[/quote']Did you get the Berkley Venom - GT Viper?they look sick? Been telling Clay91 about them.that would be an exceptional combo to slay Tuna and pop for GT's

A 3500 size reel with 300 yards of 20lb braid would catch 99% of tuna in this state.If you're lucky enough to hook a 100 kilo tuna down the south east then a high speed reel like the dogfight is not the sort of reel you'd want. Be a struggle just to turn the handle when the fish is down deep.Even for GT's i think the normal saltiga expedition is a better suited reel because it can work a popper plenty fast enough whilst being much easier to turn the handle when a big GT heads deep and circles on its side.

I knew someone was going to mention that nanman. so true.Of course if I had brought the GT Viper there is no way I would put the dogfight on it.I too have been schooled in the fact that the high speed is going to hurt ya on GT'sJust thought considering statesquider posted it in a Tuna Gear thread and the rod is designed for GT's, that he may have planning on using it on Tuna, and if so he may of been thinking also of one day being able to use on GT's. :lol:Hey Nanman, Im lucky enough to own a Saltiga Hirimassa and Certate Hyper 4000so I should be okay if I ever get the opportunity to chase tuna.Its a life long dream. I will do it one day Im sure.I want to get one on a 7" gulp.

Ah, its not the thinnest rod out there but considering its rated to 26kg drag. The blank is probably 13mm just before the grip and 5mm up at the tip. Bloody great to cast with though! Launches poppers a mile! Running 50lb on the reel and eventually i'd like to take it out to greenly/rocky but I'm moving to coffins so keen to fish off the rocks. Wouldn't mind heading up to gove eventually for a fishing trip too.Although.... i'll probably have a go at some rays and sharks at some point in timeSorry for the hijack!!