G Day all,Over the past few weeks Ive heard a few things around the traps about people pinching spots off others.Some spots are man made and people have put the hard yards into making them other spots are known spots but I dont think it makes a difference.Now Ive been going out on others boats for sometime now as I havent really had a boat of my own to fish on and not once no matter how good the spot I have never thought of either taking a pic with the gps coordinates in the back ground or taking a gps with me to track the way point have never even considered it.If this happen to me I would be very unhappy just thought I would chuck it out and see what others thought and if this has happened to you?

• Replies 79
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

After pinging your best 'cos I know you catch tons of snapper there isn't going to guarantee me a snapper... how many people go to a known spot where other's pull fish from like the Stanvac Barges and

ALL THIEVES SHOULD HAVE THERE FINGERS BROKEN REGARDLESS.SCUMBAGS. :angry:

sometimes i think this topic is hilarious. just because no-ones on your fav spot when your out there doesnt mean that its not known, there may be 500-3,000 ppl with those co-ords.there is no personal

Yep! I'm with you on this.. you have to be really careful who you take fishing etc but on the other hand you just can't hide anywhere in the Gulf anymore thanks to technology as you can now turn on your radar and see where just about ever boat is in the whole Gulf and ping their plots... it's sad but it's something we have to learn to deal with now.. one way is to fish in the dark hours on your spots from midnight till dawn and then get off your spots before too many boats get on the water

yea dead right mate' date=' technology these days does make it hard.But that is something that is out of your hands, its more the people who have taken spots whilst fishing on the boat that gets me going, to put it nice its f&%king rude!!!![/quote']I'm pretty easy going but if someone ever did the dirty on me like that I wouldn't be.... "Don't get mad... get even! .... saves a lot of sleepless nights fuming about it all. ;)B) Can always post their best plot on here :evil: Luckily, there are still decent blokes out there that are completely trustworthy, and I could run a lot of names off from this site that I've had the pleasure of fishing with over the years... you just have to choose wisely who you take people on your private spots

If this happen to me I would be very unhappy just thought I would chuck it out and see what others thought and if this has happened to you?

Always an interesting Topic Dubs Never had it happen to me yet, and wouldnt do it to another either, no matter how tempting.Its a big ocean out there with STACKS of spots, so why risk making a prick of yourself just for a couple of fish ? My ego doesnt stretch that far :whistle: :lol: While I was out with Barnett recently, I made sure he was aware that I had my unit with me, and the reasons for it when we 1st planned it, and all he had to do was politely ask me to remove the batteries b4 we went to his spot X, which was fine with me :) Ive learnt there's always a way to " negotiate " things without making enemies ;)B)

After pinging your best 'cos I know you catch tons of snapper there isn't going to guarantee me a snapper... how many people go to a known spot where other's pull fish from like the Stanvac Barges and come away without even a bite... you still need to know all of the other variables and there are plenty of those. but in the meantime other boats will then get the spot because the person who originally pinged you has no respect. I lost a good local kgw spot late last year as I passed on the plots to a good mate who is trustworthy (and I still trust)and used his handheld on someone elses boat but unfortunately because they bagged out his mate lost all respect and pinged the spot on his boat gps.. I went there 2 days later hoping to bag out and his mate was already there so I took off as I never fish 2 boats on a spot.. later I went past and about 6 other boats were also anchored there. That spot went from virgin to trashed in a spate of a week :angry: :angry:

better still wave as I'm having a piss.P
:laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: unfortunateley moving away as they come towards you wouldnt stop some modern gear getting a fix on your possie though :S
I don't move away' date='just a beer' date=' piss or even a dump.:woohoo:[/quote'']works for me, something about a bare backside thats sends em in another direction

this is a pretty low act and having a commerical back ground,from queensland way i can tell you i`ve heard of shot`s being fired over the odd bow as a warning to other vessels to stay away,most get the hint ,but the odd pirates out there are willing to start wars over good plots,it`s a wild world,out there:evil: :evil: on a recreational basis its a low act to steel a potental freind`s spot and rec a good freindship in the process,there are other ways to negotiate these things,just my 2 cent`s

Guest Brent61southoz

sometimes i think this topic is hilarious. just because no-ones on your fav spot when your out there doesnt mean that its not known, there may be 500-3,000 ppl with those co-ords.there is no personal spot even if you made it. the ocean is free for all.howevertaking a gps onto someones boat when going out with them is a no-no unless permission is givenand totally agreed with not taking a gps out as it ruins your chance of getting out with anyone once the word spreadsjust my opinionbrent

A mate got pinged the other night by a reccie with radar,he did all the usual stuff like moving off "his" drop as soon as he saw lights a 1km or so away but when he returned this bloke was spot on his drop.I reckon its probably better to fish it in daylight myself because if your out in the middle in the night away from all the known grounds you can are most likely fishing for reds,at least if its daylight you can be mistaken as a mug punter having a go.As for pinching spots,i've heard some horror stories that go beyond belief.I know of one instance where a guest got up in the middle of the night and copied down plots off this blokes GPS while he was sleeping,no doubt there are even worse things going on that don't come to light...pretty sad really because if you do the work yourself you will be rewarded, simple as that. cheers brenton

It may your secret spot in the ocean that you have created with surplus whitegoods, but how many times have you been going along and find structure on the sounder, stop fish it and catch something, mark it and return only to have some one abuse you as its their spot. How is someone supposed to know, there are no signs saying keep off trespassers prosecuted.

Fair enough, if you take out a mate out and he gps your spots them its ex mate and as with charters many of the spots are unaccessible to small boats. I went out of marion bay on a charter and the skipper heard a beeping noise, mates alarm on his phone and this dude was off the flybridge in a flash wanting to know what the noise was.

Brenton thats crazy mate
Yeah i know' date='he can't seem to understand why i never go fishing with him but how could you ever trust a bloke like that. [/quote']Dont leave him alone with ya missus either
Never had it happen to me yet' date=' and wouldnt do it to another either' date=' no matter how tempting.Its a big ocean out there with STACKS of spots, so why risk making a prick of yourself just for a couple of fish ? My ego doesnt stretch that far :whistle: :lol: While I was out with Barnett recently, I made sure he was aware that I had my unit with me, and the reasons for it when we 1st planned it, and all he had to do was politely ask me to remove the batteries b4 we went to his spot X, which was fine with me :) [/quote'']Why would you even consider taking out a handheld GPS with you when being invited on someone elses boat? Unless you have been specifically asked to do so, I just cant see the point? Even if it were to provide some back up marks of your own, simply writing them dowm would suffice surely :huh:I dont have any marks so I dont have to worry about it. Can only catch a cold anyway! :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

After pinging your best 'cos I know you catch tons of snapper there isn't going to guarantee me a snapper... how many people go to a known spot where other's pull fish from like the Stanvac Barges and come away without even a bite... you still need to know all of the other variables and there are plenty of those. but in the meantime other boats will then get the spot because the person who originally pinged you has no respect. I lost a good local kgw spot late last year as I passed on the plots to a good mate who is trustworthy (and I still trust)and used his handheld on someone elses boat but unfortunately because they bagged out his mate lost all respect and pinged the spot on his boat gps.. I went there 2 days later hoping to bag out and his mate was already there so I took off as I never fish 2 boats on a spot.. later I went past and about 6 other boats were also anchored there. That spot went from virgin to trashed in a spate of a week :angry: :angry:

I can vouch for this as I was there - the spot was swamped with boats. Seems that often if there is more than one boat on a spot more have to join!That's why I ask that people who know me don't pull up near me to say hello on the water.

I've learnt to take off with the anchor still down.. head off sideways a little and open her up and my SARCA will shoot to the surface and drag along behind... saves losing a few valuable minutes hauling up the anchor

We need to have a gun though - to shoot the Birds sitting on the spot just left.
Why would you even consider taking out a handheld GPS with you when being invited on someone elses boat? Unless you have been specifically asked to do so' date=' I just cant see the point? Even if it were to provide some back up marks of your own, simply writing them dowm would suffice surely :huh:I dont have any marks so I dont have to worry about it. Can only catch a cold anyway! :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:[/quote']I've actually done this on more than one occasion!Gone out with friends or newbies and taken my GPS along so that if we encounter difficulties we can break MY gps out or try a few of my marks.Of course the people I fish with know me, so I dont think this has ever been an issue, and it's never been commented on, and I generally run through it with them and provide them with a few marks they may not have.Why? Because we are just simple recs, out looking for a good pleasant day on the water with a coupla fish as a bonus!My marks seem much like your though, nothing special, mainly common knowledge and reproduced elsewhere, so I don't really care if they are shared with all and sundry.I've got a couple I like to keep to myself, but I find them pretty hit and miss too!I have no need to steal your marks, I have refused offers of marks out of courtesy, and I like to find my own way round out there. I appreciate help from those who can offer it, and I've had a few who have supplied me with a spot or two! Naturally, THOSE spots are protected and amongst those I keep to myself.For me, I just enjoy fishing! It's a game and relaxation, I do not come in with bags of snapper, I do not need to anchor up and leave when others approach, and I'm hardly sitting on the find of the century! Gee, if they wanna waste their time pinging me, they must be pretty bl**dy hard up and probably deserve a spot! :blink: Passing boats just smile, dont even slow, and say "oh, don't bother it's only Ranger!" :laugh: I'll just be looking for a few gar or tommies, the occasional whiting, trolling for a snook, bagging a few st's for the smoker, jagging a squid, or maybe lucking onto a passing bronzie. Ya can find them anywhere without trying too hard, so even if my gps has a nervous breakdown out there, I don't think I need worry too much!I think I've mentioned before, I just purchase a GPS booklet available anywhere. I enter all the book marks into my plotter, but when I name them I always make sure the name ends with a "B" ie: GrangeB, so that I can identify it easily as a "book" mark.I don't put too much creedence in this mark.If I happen to fish the area, I use the book mark as a guide, sound around, and if I find something interesting or productive, I mark that as my spot, and then delete the book mark which guided me to the area. Effectively deleting "GrangeB", to replace it with just "Grange" which is now my new spot for that area.No issue for me, I get a few fish, I'm generally away from other boats who ARE using the book marks, and there's no need for angst, worry or conflict out there.When others see me, they know that THEY are sitting on the correct book mark, assume I am stupid and sitting way off the mark! They point and laugh looking at me 200m off the mark they think I want, and I just wave back!Yep, I dont get the hauls of snapper you do, and that doesn't really concern me, coz I just like the occasional pinky for the barbeque anyway (if it's 38-45cm it's as good to me as the 20lber is to you), and I'm happy to have a coupla whiting, a coupla squid, some tommies for the smoker, or a few little bronzie fillets in the freezer!If someone could provide me with a consistent flathead ground though, I'd be ya sex slave forever! :)

It's always sad and somewhat pathetic when someone you know and trust breaks it for their own gain.Like many have said, be careful who you takeout..for example.. someone like me :DOnly been on a boat once, Doesnt have a boat and couldn't tell you the first thing about gps or even a fish finder...I am perfect for a boat going fish buddy :D *cough*

While I was out with Barnett recently' date=' I made sure he was aware that I had my unit with me, [b']and the reasons for it [/b]when we 1st planned it, and all he had to do was politely ask me to remove the batteries b4 we went to his spot X, which was fine with me :)

Why would you even consider taking out a handheld GPS with you when being invited on someone elses boat?
I see your point CK, but why would you even question someone that did if they had let you know b4 hand ? :huh: I think you should read the Bold print above b4 quoting me and questioning me ! :huh: We were sharing spots, Plus Barnett had kindly offered to help me work out how to use some of its functions that didnrt sdeem to be in the manual