Just had a fella instore, he rang earlier today re cockles, wanted a sack, nobody in Adelaide would sell him one.He told me he had called every store in town to no avail, then he carried on to explain the price variation, most stores were $13 - $15 per kg, I know this is rubbish as ours are $10 & we couldn't possibly be that far off the going rate.Once again nobody would sell him the volume he wanted.Anyhow to the point, he's has called every store, hopped in his car, driven from Norwood to Salisbury, bought $100 worth, driven home again, my guess he called about 11.15am, it's just gone 2pm.Fuel from Norwood to Salisbury in a Pajero would have to be $6.50, his time (2.5hrs), his phone calls (20 plus stores @ 52c each call), HAS HE REALLY SAVED ANYTHING???NO!!!! & I bet next time he goes into his regular store he will assure the operator that, he always shops there & expects his rightful discount deal.My point, (don't get me wrong here, I was happy to take his $100 in the middle of winter), is why didn't he drive around the corner to his local, would have been a 5 minute exercise, would have been fishin' by 11.30am & for the volume he bought would have cost $20 more.How many red light cameras, speed cameras, nails on the road etc etc exist between Norwood & Salisbury?"AM I AN IDIOT" for questioning this?????Finatic

Guest dabilda

For that money he could've driven to Gawler, bought a counter meal, walked the beach and got 600 of them and also had a couple of lines out (fresh cockle bait) and maybe brought home a few fish too. Then got home with cash in his pocket still.Or, as you say, drive around the corner and save hours of time. There is no understanding some peoples [i:3tmiv091]"logic"[/i:3tmiv091]As the old saying goes "A fool and his money............................"Or............ was he infact an anonymous S&H member trying to do the right thing and support site sponsors????It takes all types to make a world eh!!!

For that money he could've driven to Gawler, bought a counter meal, walked the beach and got 600 of them and also had a couple of lines out (fresh cockle bait) and maybe brought home a few fish too.

Then scratched his head and wondered where this infamous Gawler Cockle Beach really is! {SMILIES_PATH}/tongue.gifWhile we're on this subject though, don't forget, if you do head to GOOLWA to collect your own, the season closes as of today! {SMILIES_PATH}/wink.gif
Guest dabilda

For that money he could've driven to Gawler, bought a counter meal, walked the beach and got 600 of them and also had a couple of lines out (fresh cockle bait) and maybe brought home a few fish too.

Then scratched his head and wondered where this infamous Gawler Cockle Beach really is! {SMILIES_PATH}/tongue.gifWhile we're on this subject though, don't forget, if you do head to GOOLWA to collect your own, the season closes as of today! {SMILIES_PATH}/wink.gif
LOL............. yes, that would be Goolwa............Today being the 31st of May is the last day of the season......... the closed season starts tomorrow the 1st of June

Take his money smile and say thankyou very much, Then realise that he drove that far because you had stock, probably engagued in a friendly conversation on the phone, and of course a better than competitive price.simple really do that with as many products as possible instore and you'll be suprised how quickly winter will fly by...catch my drift???(no pun intended Kymo)

Three weeks ago I paid $14.50 a kilo at my local inner Adelaide tackle store (v. close to Norwood) and then paid $10 kilo at Compleat Angler in Moonta last weekend. Can you explain the price difference to me there please? Sure rent maybe higher in town but freight should outweigh this. People may be prepared to drive a bit further on principle if they think the local operator is taking the piss.

Getting into the cockle debate is a hard one for any Tackle Store.The best I can do is to say that a realistic price for cockles to allow the shops to make a reasonable profit would be around $13-$15 , however individual shops make their own decisions on where they sit , for us at St Kilda we have decided on a price lower than this for our Goolwa cockles , (sorry as a site sponsor I am not allowed to post prices ) when you go into your local tackle store please bear this in mind life is hard enough for the small business owners who have to compete with the large conglomerates who can generally sell products cheaper than we can buy them. I know that cockles have been a mainstay bait for many fishers but please remember that you local tackle store weren't the ones responsible for the price hike.

I was pretty impressed by the price of your cockles..... $10.00 a kilo, so drove to your store and ordered a kilo of Goolwa Cockles, and was told by your assist you don't sell a kilo and was sold a 1.5 kilo bag for $18.00, after double checking the receipt, by my calculations this makes a kilo $12.00, not $10.00 as said, is this a genuine mistake or misrepresentation...?

Hi AllI have just picked up on this thread. Sorry to be the bearer of bad news Trig, but the prices went up on Tuesday.Most of our regular customers were aware there was going to be an increase in price at the end of the season as we have tried to keep our prices as tight as we could for as long as we could.Good fishing this weekend.SpotterCompleat Angler Wallaroo & Moonta

• 1 month later...