how do you cook your squid?

Hi Guys, i'm keen to hear some different methods of cooking squid as i'm getting bored with the way I cook them.I have been trying a few different things from just using a variety of diff flour coatings with just salt pepper and chilli cooked in butter and high smoke point oil, even tried deep fried with beer batter which was ok but not great!so how do you guys cook it?:) cheers

"Pickled Squid" Blanched rings, then jarred in vinegar, chilli, garlic & 2tsp brown sugar.. "Bread Crumb Squid" Score inside criss cross, cut into wedge shape dip into egg then breadcrumbs then into hot oil, salt pepper..Theres this place called yum cha in china town central market where they do fried squid tentacles mayyyne its delicious, sweet & crunchy, wouldn't have a clue how they put it together ;)

How do I cook squid? Dunno, let me ask the wife! :laugh: I cut and score, coat in a little RICE flour (far lighter than normal flour) shallow fry and sprinkle with salt seasoned with pepper, chili or any other spice I like. A drizzle of lemon juice and away.Another is coated in a light tempura batter and deep fried.Marinated in chili, lime, lemongrass, ginger, brown sugar and garlic, tossed on the barbeque.Squid is a fantastic all round, the secret is a high heat, and very fast cooking time. It only takes a few second to cook squid, turning it from transparent to opaque, then get it off the heat fast!

Thanks for that savagelip, iv'e been meaning to give the breadcrumb a try, should cut down the old oil splatter a bit doing it that way as well,, will give the pickled squid a try as well;) Thanks as well Ranger, I found the rice flour to be the best as well it doesent taint the squid flavour as much as the heavier flours, will be trying that marinade bbq recipe as well sounds gooood:) Last time I deep fried in a light beer batter I had some problems with popping and splatter from some moisture on the squid even after thouroughly drying it with paper towl before hand, so if anyone has a way of stopping the splatter I'm very interested to hear it. I even have a special shirt (oil spots all over the front of it) I wear when cooking squid because of that problem as the oil defuser on the frypan/deepfry doesent stop it all.:blink: cheers

some interesting ideas there guys, the jerky is certainly one iv'e never heard of before.:) I used corn flour for a long time before trying rice flour, it seems to have less flour flavour if that makes sense:unsure: have to agree with you 4thalove the tenticles are the best bit provided the squid are under 2kg when the hit the 3-4kg mark they taste horrible for some reason?Keep the ideas coming;) cheers

"Pickled Squid" Blanched rings' date=' then jarred in vinegar, chilli, garlic & 2tsp brown sugar.. "Bread Crumb Squid" Score inside criss cross, cut into wedge shape dip into egg then breadcrumbs then into hot oil, salt pepper..Theres this place called yum cha in china town central market where they do fried squid tentacles mayyyne its delicious, sweet & crunchy, wouldn't have a clue how they put it together ;)[/quote']mate i have had plates and plates of that yum cha squid it is bloody awesome isnt it!Im pretty sure its got chinese five spice in it

try tenderising with mashed up kiwi fruit. works a treat. no more rubbery squid.

I posted about that last year too ramo :laugh: works a treat though! you just have to get the quantities and time in the kiwi fruit right otherwise you end up with too tender squid! :ohmy: My tip as an ex Chef is too score or trelliss it and flash fry the quicker and hotter you cook it the better

try tenderising with mashed up kiwi fruit. works a treat. no more rubbery squid.

yeah tried that a few times Ramo after it was posted here last year, it's a great way to tenderise it but sometimes it's nice to have it a bit chewy as well, I definately use this method to soften squid when it's going on a seafood pizza in my wood fired oven,,mmmmm.:) cheers
I had squid sashimi at a sushi bar today. It tasted much better raw with wasabi and soy sauce
Hmmmm' date=' squid sashimi!............I'm onto it! :)[/quote']The body flesh was sliced in half thinly and wasn't even chewy like I expected it to be... it was very tasty and full of natural flavour without being tainted by cooking oils

hi guys, thought someine might like to try this.. generally i need to feel a little motivated to make this dish, but its really nice.. mix together- cooked jasmine rice, roughly cut prawn meat, the squid tentacles, diced chorizo (spanish sausage), a little lemon zest and cooked onion/garlic.stuff this inside a few tubes and place in a ceramic baking dish that fits them snugly.pour a good quality tomato pasta sauce over the top and add a few olives then chuck in the oven at 170 for 30-40 mins...the tubes cut on an angle with some sauce aroung and a lemon wedge look fantastic.. just needs salad.

My rule of thumb with squid for a tender result is either to cook it hot for 30 seconds (as you all say) or low for up to 30 minutes in a tomato based sauce (testing with a knife every now and then). I often save the tentacles for pasta marinara style sauces because they braise well and i think have a fishier taste, so they get braised in the base sauce and all other fish/shellfish added last minute.. I tried braising cuttlefish once for a pasta (even made a fancy ink fettucine) and it was horrible, the body meat went grainy and the the skin on the tentacles stayed tough while the inside went to a toothpaste consistency.. foul! strange thing cos the recipe is fine with occy, oh well..

The only method I know to stop oil splatter is proper drying.If it still splatters I'd have a lid to hold over until the splatter settles' date=' but never sit an enclosed lid firmly over the frypan, or you'll be wiping it off the walls when it explodes![/quote']dont ask me where she got it but mum has a hand held lid type thing that sits on top of fry pan but is a very fine mesh so it stops fat splatter but also lets it breathe. ide say homeart or somewhere would be where she got it.. can find out if needed!reading all this about squid i need to go catch some im craving it but not going to resort to bait freezer squid lol
  • 10 months later...

This Spaghetti with tomato and calamari is one my favourites - http://www.taste.com.au/recipes/7805/spaghetti+with+tomato+and+calamari - might do it for tea tomorrow night I reckon....YUM!!Failing that - I think just on the BBQ, no coatings - stuff the S&P, stuff the flour - iI love it on the BBQ just cooked - dip it in a bit of tartare sauce and your done....