Blue Crab Bait

I've been trying for a while to find a stand out gun bait to use on our blue swimmers. squid head marinated with tuna oilwhiting carcasses and headssalmon in tuna oilreally trying to get a heavy slick running to draw them into the nets. I've heard more than a couple of occasions that river fisherpersons use green palmolive soap to bag out on shrimps and yabbies. has anyone used it on the blue crabs? if so what success rate? does anyone swear by any baits of their own?looking to try the soap in the next couple of days, what are you thoughts?

If you look at what they would naturally scavenge on your in with a shot. Cuttle fish is a winner as is squid. They get hammered by the snapper and the crabs clean up the scraps. Gar get hit by snook so they work well as do whiting. If it's smelly and fleshy, can't go wrong. Never found a bait that didn't catch crabs.

Cocky! are you going to leave us any? don't you work?well i'll have to let you guys know how i go. i'll take out a few different bait including the cat food and tuna tins. and i'll keep the soap in one as a test.i thought about it and it should leave a nice slick through the water for miles with the bar of soap.and i thought the tuna oil would have helped as well, maybe it does i'm just in the wrong areaSunday arvo/ night will tell

The good old shitty' date=' Good for nothing else but crab bait. Caught over 40 BIG blue crabs in 3 days afew weeks back and only ever used shitties in the crab nets. But we weren't in Adelaide.I have heard soap works tho:unsure:[/quote']Good for live bait too! After a cut and trim ;p
Guest Shark-Kat 6

Took the crew out metro yesterday and got 60 blueys using kingfish,atlantic salmon & mulloway heads, crabs hold no preference to any of these and neither did the 1.5m wide ray that kept trying to sit on the nets!!!post-7790-139623783801_thumb.jpg

cant see soap working too well try have a wash with it in the sea and u will know why ;) ive done a test last year when they were running well had squid in 1 net gar frames in another red mullet anf whiting frames in the other 2 the gar fish frames caught more than twice as many as any other net so gar fish frames is the go :) anything will work but gar has a distintive oddour and works a treat ;) ps. heads up the crabs are running hot atm the moment too :)

cant see soap working too well try have a wash with it in the sea and u will know why ;) ive done a test last year when they were running well had squid in 1 net gar frames in another red mullet anf whiting frames in the other 2 the gar fish frames caught more than twice as many as any other net so gar fish frames is the go :) anything will work but gar has a distintive oddour and works a treat ;) ps. heads up the crabs are running hot atm the moment too :)

gar smell they love it
  • 6 years later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Another lover of carp here. $5-$6 for a bag enough to do 10 nets.

stinks like shit but that’s what makes it attractive for the crabs.

i swear it out fishes all other bait. 

I tryto Go once a year to the Murray with the kids to stock my freezer with enough for the summer crabbing sessions.