Cockle Measuring Device

I scored a couple from volunteer fisheries at the entrance to goolwa beach last time but the old man has made severalimmitations over the years. Bit of ice cream containers works but prefer 5mm pvc. You can drill a hole into it and attach some cord to go over your hand.Not sure where you get these from tackle stores though. Someones got to have them

If you ever get down Port Adelaide way, just over Birkenhead bridge and to the right, was a large building and the fisheries used to be there.I got told to get crab measures there years ago, and the lady was more than helpful, offering cray and abalone measures as well.. for free!Just grabbed 2 crab measures, for myself and a mate..Give tham a call first..2 Victoria RoadBirkenheadPhone: 08 8204 1380good luck..

Thanks' date=' jaggerI thought that if I didn't get any bites on this site, I'd try to knock one up myself from perspex or polycarbonate sheeting...after all, it ain't bloody rocket science.Being the lazy bugger that I am though, I thought I'd see whether I could buy one.Cheersarcherfish;) ;) ;)[/quote'] I made mine out of an old ice cream container, just cut out a plastic square, cut out a slot to the correct measurement, drill a hole in the side for a lanyard nad off u go ;) Cheap as chips B)
  • 3 weeks later...

Update from Cockle Land...Rang PIRSA Head Office on 08 8347 6107 late in the afternoon enquiring about said device - lo and behold, 1 Cockle Measuring Device arrived in my Post Box next morning (good work, PIRSA!).Also decided to get a "Cockle Holding Device" (waterproof and able to dispose of sand easily).Tried "Admerch" at 9 Grove Avenue, Marleston and came up with this little low-tech baby at $18.70 (inc. GST):Of course, I had to try it all, so I went down to Goolwa today and drove along the beach towards the mouth. Water looked far too dirty for me (given what's coming down the Murray at the moment), so after a very pleasant tasting platter at the Whistle Stop Cafe at Goolwa, headed back to Middleton and parked just near Bondi Place.Believe me, there are sh*tloads of cockles there - just got to dig a little deeper to get the BIG ones.Got my bag limit in a very short time.Froze a whole heap for bait, but also kept some for eating tonight. Purged the little buggers for a few hours, then steamed them in a mixture of fried garlic, lemon myrtle leaf powder, sweet chilli sauce, chicken stock, white wine and italian parsley...I'd forgotten how good they tasted. Will be back down there soon for a repeat...Cheersarcherfish

001.JPG

• 11 months later...