Big seal attacked by shark at Outer Harbor

Just a quick reminder, if you see any sick or injured whales, dolphins or seals, call fishwatch and they will get you onto the wildlife guys.Today while having an early fish, we were suprised to see a big Australian sea lion on the northern side of the southern outer harbour break wall. He was hugging the rocks and along way in heading toward the passenger terminal. Poor bugger had a big shark bite on his flank.Gave the authorities a call and they called me back within 5mins and seemed very concerned. They said they had someone on the water and will keep me updated :) I think there concern stemms from his location when we sighted him, suggesting that he must be in a bit of strife to be heading into the port like that.I'll keep youse posted if I here anything, because I think the world of them dolphins and seals up my way. It's be a GW I bet... They are everywhere at the moment.P.s. What was that about yakking at the end of them breakwaters ???:ohmy:

Theres often a couple of seals/sealions around those rocks Jack' date=' no surprise there.A sharkbite is probably par for the course for those guys, but good on you for notifying someone :)B)[/quote']Yeah true, but I forgot to say we weren't in the boat, we were just landbased not real far from the passenger terminal, I've never really seen em that far up, usually more on the ends. But maybe your right, I have always wondered how them seal manage to sustain such good numbers, because from the wildlife shows I thought they were number one Tucker for the great whites....Hey just while typing this my phone rang and a fella was on the end of the southern breakwater in the boat asking me for directions to where we sighted him..... Bloody hell, they take good care of them dolphins and seals out there....

It would be nice if they jumped on illegal fishing activities that quickly.Called about the same guys spear fishing in the onk sevarl times ove the last few week for no result. They are becoming regulars down there !!Good on you for making the call. My sister in law is the manager down at RSPCA at lonsdale so possibly end up there if they get it

P.s. What was that about yakking at the end of them breakwaters ???:ohmy:

We dont know the exact cause of injury, even a boat propellor could be feasible.We also don't know where it occured. Remember seals can travel vast miles in search of food, and spend a lot of time at sea while doing it.If concerned, then yep make ya own choice to avoid the area, but dont jump to conclussions.Good onya for taking positive action to address the issue.
P.s. What was that about yakking at the end of them breakwaters ???:ohmy:
We dont know the exact cause of injury' date=' even a boat propellor could be feasible.We also don't know where it occured. Remember seals can travel vast miles in search of food' date=' and spend a lot of time at sea while doing it.If concerned, then yep make ya own choice to avoid the area, but dont jump to conclussions.Good onya for taking positive action to address the issue.[/quote'']That's a fair call Ranger, I was just stirring the kayakers as every now and then the question is asked, I should have made it clear I was joking.And yeah your quite right about the distances as I know the KAngaroo island colony at seal bay are so lazy because that's where they rest after fishing the continental shelf.... See I WAS listening to the tour guide