giving rod a birthday.

its time.. had thread for 6 mths, and went for a lst fish this morning on the rocks before new thread and a varnish on the snyderglas,,, caught a 46cm snapper as well, but thats not important..what IS important is the new epoxy i bought...started the snyder by stripping off the flaking original epoxy, and am changing colours... going for a yellow backing with a emtalic red top..., but then a mate rang with a small problem..his fave fishing rod, lost and eye... so as luck would have it, i had the stuff to fix it.only a small eye so didnt take long, but thats the problem... the normal epoxy i use id a 2 part mix from erskins... the new is just a one premixed sealer colour retainer, and its terrible... for a sstart, its water based,,, good for cleaning up, but waterbased to make water proof? ..layed a thick coat on, and went inside for half an hour.. its not pretty... hasnt sealed the threads one bit, and lacks that smooth look...so far with out diggin deep around town for a look, im wondering if i can actually get some of the two part mix, or have to onsider options .will post some pics of the snyder being done..the heat has stopped play for today though

didnt really think the thread was as bad as it is on the snyder, so yeah,...bout time it gets an ovehaul... changed mind on the yellow and metalic red thread, just didnt look right with the maroon rod..., so stripped it all off and started again...going gold backing with black thread... same deal, the red just didnt work...black and gold is the go i thinkthe heat beat me today though, and am working for a few days so wont be onto it again for a while...ive got a funny feeling im going to run out of gold thread though.. thought it was a 100mtr spool, but shes only a 50mtr... Posted ImagePosted ImagePosted ImagePosted ImagePosted Imagethe line clip used with an alveyPosted ImagePosted ImagePosted Image

thanks mate... ive got a spit rotator i mounted to a frame and that will spin the rod when epoxy goes on... thats if i can get some 2 part epoxy.. cant find it here at the moment but its ordered... the all in one stuff just doesnt do the job im affraid.. im interested in seeing how the colour comes to life in that gold when its coated...

You can't go past the 2 part epoxy thats all i have ever used,should show a lot more depth in colour once she is done.Also the blue does look a bit dated now :blush: i have a sabre that is orange and the binding is flat red and blue over white :sick: so not copying or anything i am going black with gold hi-lights,have all the materials just have to find the time to do it winter job probably. :woohoo:

thanks mate... ive got a spit rotator i mounted to a frame and that will spin the rod when epoxy goes on... thats if i can get some 2 part epoxy.. cant find it here at the moment but its ordered... the all in one stuff just doesnt do the job im affraid.. im interested in seeing how the colour comes to life in that gold when its coated...

I admire guys that build and fix their own rods, nice set up there Nev.With a credit card and phone, you should get what you want pretty quicky these days. B)

Hows the rebuild on the snyder going mate.:woohoo:looks nice with gold and the black over lay on a maroon rod.:woohoo: Just a bit anxious to see the finished product.

going good so far, thought there was a bit too much gold , so i added a bit more black to the highlight thread doing nothing.. thats eopxied ready to go, and will get stuck into the eyes tomorrow... lack of sleep from night shifts has me seeing double with the threads so thought best to leave it until im wide awake... and its too bloody humid outside... will snap a pic off later today,

yeah you need to have your witts about u when doing bindings they are so thin that even wide awake a few hours and you have square eyes lol looking great tho! hmmm if only i had some spare cash to get another rod to build!

rebuild an old rod like me, this is my 25 yr old snyderglas... love this rod to pieces tuff as nails, oh so light, and very tough...

one thing im trying to work out, is HOW on a spinning rod, do i get spider webs forming over night on every eye? this is just the first coat of epoxy, it will get a much thicker coat which will hide the lines in the thread, which can only be seen up close... i took the pics with a macro lens...but thats about all i can do for a few weeks.. i ran out of gold thread with 2 more eyes still to do.... will have to wait til i mosy on down to bcf in adelaide to grab some more gold....