Dead Crabs off Henley Beach

G day guys probably a normal things but thought it would be nice to go for a walk down around henley beach last night, got to the water and found 1000's and 1000's of small sand crabs dead on the shore was this due to the heat? them getting caught in the shallows and being cooked? and was thinking about taking them home for bearly crushing them up and freezing them but cause but cause they where all small wasnt sure even though they where dead that i was allowed to

yep all sandies all small

Ok so how small & how many?Was it as you say thousands or more like 10 or so?In my opinion the death of thousands of small crabs is cause for concern & warrants further investigation.Such events should, again in my opinion, be reported to fisheries / PIRSA so that they can look into such things.Might be nothing, but the localised death of such alarge number suggests to me its not the heat

Thousands i didnt count every single one but there where too many to count, small being 8cm up to just under size. I walked for a while 100 or so metre and it was a constaint stream of them in one big line and it kept going, left soon after as the Girl Friend was to freaked out by them

G day guys probably a normal things but thought it would be nice to go for a walk down around henley beach last night' date=' got to the water and found 1000's and 1000's of small sand crabs dead on the shore was this due to the heat? them getting caught in the shallows and being cooked? and was thinking about taking them home for bearly crushing them up and freezing them but cause but cause they where all small wasnt sure even though they where dead that i was allowed to[/quote']Thanks for reporting this.In regards to the dead Sand crabs in the Henley Beach Area, PIRSA Fisheries are aware of it. Traditionally the shallow water and the dramatic heat spell has caused the death of sand crabs in the past. None the less, PIRSA Biosecurity have been advised and will investigate the matter.In regards to taking them, they cannot be taken if they are undersize, even if they are already dead. It is an offence, if at any stage, to be in possession of fish that are undersize.Troy HarrisFisheries Officer

[in regards to taking them' date= they cannot be taken if they are undersize, even if they are already dead. It is an offence, if at any stage, to be in possession of fish that are undersize.Troy HarrisFisheries Officer

Thanks Troy, I assume this is because the "fish" could have been alive when first taken ?
Nah probly to avoid people having the excuse of "oh I found that undersize fish and it was already dead"

[in regards to taking them' date= they cannot be taken if they are undersize, even if they are already dead. It is an offence, if at any stage, to be in possession of fish that are undersize.Troy HarrisFisheries Officer

Thanks Troy, I assume this is because the "fish" could have been alive when first taken ?
Nah probly to avoid people having the excuse of "oh I found that undersize fish and it was already dead"
I think thats what I said Clay :blink::laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: