lightning storm

nice work fella . i have quite a few lightning photos that i took with my old style camera an if you held the button down the shutter would stay open . got a cable button so i didnt touch the camera on the tripod , point hold the button down till a strike an hope its pointed in the right direction . and i still have nothing like that last shot . with a digital camera too , that is a top top effort fella . awesome .

Great shots' date=' did you have any trouble getting these great pics?Any idea what the shutter speed was?[/quote']hahaha, mate sorry have to laugh, i bought the camera the day before the storm, went up to hummoch hill, and turned it on.. some random bloke said gday, and i said mate, you know anything about cameras? hahaha.. turns out he did,, and set it all up for me, we all pretty much got the same pics, cept for that last one.. it started to rain, and i moved to the other side of the shelter, pushed the button, and WHAM... got it dead centre of frame, the other 6 blokes up there shooting daggers at me because i was the only one that got it... ive since read the book, and im lost with all the jargon they have written into the book...but the camera was set on iso100, f5.6, manual focus, and was set for a 30sec open shutter time... if that helpsnight shift tonight, and im going to study the book yet again to try and take full advantage of this camera
That helps heaps rock nev' date=' yea i have that option on the dslr jimbo, but it is always better to have the cable or remote for these kinda shots hey. I have neither. :([/quote']me niether mate, got a good tripod though, has a bit of weight behind it so any wind doesnt ruin the photo by shaking the camera... was at work last night, with the camera, but plans of sneaking away during lunch break to take a few pic were short lived.. big brakdown so didnt get a lunch.. had to go cut some steel back at the workshop, and out of the windscreen i saw one of the bet lightning flashes ive ever seen... the whole sky lit up, and camera was in my car... wasnt a happy camper, but work comes first, sadly...im rostered off now, and a good mate who is right into photography has been checking a weather site, and it might be looking the go for maybe tonight,,, if so i will pick uhim up, and we will chase it if need be...heres a link to his lightning photos he has taken... 3 pages of it...http://shawsky.smugmug.com/Weather/Storms-and-Lightning/3236795_kPYvV#179499825_dWtwe

what sort of camera do u have rocknev ive got a nikon but have not managed to get any decent lightning pix couple but just out of focus!

its a canon EOS100D slr digital , comes with 2 lenses, a wide angle and a 75-300 zoom lens... a great deal of luckis invovled, but what the bloke who set it up told me was, decent tripod, manual focus, and focus on something in the distanct.. then press away and see what happens..., he set it up for 30 seconds, and that way explained, the shutter was open for 30 seconds, and will capture multible strikes if they are in the same area in that 30 second time frame...and as luck would have it, we are in the middle of a kickarse lightning storm at this very moment... trouble is, its not night time... ut adelaide people, keep your eyes and ears open tonight... very good chance your going to cop what we have just recieved....grab the cameras and see how you go.

thanks all, we just got dumped on big time with thunder, lightning and flash flooding.. watched a hilux 4wd, with a lift kit go through a puddle, with water over the bonnet, on the other side was a poor woman , stopped in her near new commodore, with the kids in the back bucketing water out from the interior...oops, but the worst bit? had goverment plates, so all of us tax payers have just bought a new commodore for the goverment....