I have heard that snook are quite a few peoples favourite smoked fish... Well I've never tried some before but I'm smoking some now so I'm excited to try some. I tried the rock salt method instead of brining them which is also A first for me. Will post up a photo once they are done. I can't wait to bite into that smokey, salty, sweet flesh. Stay Tuned!

I'm not a big fan of snook, but I do smoke it.I generally cut them in half. The front half with all the bones becomes bait or burley, and I just use the back half.As you've discovered, don't salt your fish, instead stick to brine (1-3 hours in an 8:1 ratio mix).Dry them off properly before smoking, preferably overnight.Also try sprinkling them with a little brown sugar prior to smoking, you'll be surprised.Posted ImagePosted ImageThese new Hark smokers are pearlers too if you're serious about it!Posted Image

I would normally use the brine but thought I'd try something different and thought it would work quicker than brine. Which it did but too well! I wanted my fishie snack NOW! I always put the brown sugar on as I love the caramelisation they get. The colour is just awesome too. So I've come to the conclusion of brine not salt and don't rush it. Will try snook again next time I get some though. Like the oilyness.

ive always wanted to try smoked tommies as ive heard that they are good but dont wanna buy a smoker if i dont like it lol

You can buy a little smoker box for under $50, or alternatively use a webber or hooded barbeque. If need be you can also create a hood for your barbeque with a metal bowl turned upside down, frying pan lid, or similar.
  • 1 month later...