my first crack at making soft plastics

As the title says... Just finished my first attempt at making my own soft plastics.I used a 70mm paddle tail mould for for first try.But I plan on making my own moulds for smaller grubs and little flickbaits.They turned out not too bad for a first effort. I did burn the plastic a touch which gave it a burn yellow tinge lol, but I reckon it blends well with the pink glitter.Now to test em out on the weekend. I will try and tempt a snook or big fat ST on Saturday morning :)Here's a pic of the master at work lol and the finished product....Posted ImagePosted ImagePosted Image

red hot for the redfin I hav ebeen getting lately, more than happy to try them in the fresh for ya and post the pictures of the results:)I have used a brown/blue sp very similar in shape and size and that caught them so pink will hammer them !I've actually been hitting my big sps up with red text lately to get even more effect from them...works a treat !

Looking dodgey in the first pic :lol: Those SP's don't look bad at all, would not be surprised if you did catch something on them, I'll bear witness to that and take the pic for proof (and make sure you don't cheat :P )Do you reckon you could add a little scent like fish oil or s-factor to the liquid mix to add some flavour? maybe make a cavity to put smell in evenhmmm interesting can of fake worms you've opened here Jack.

Yeah Dubs, once set up it will work out pretty cheap. $30 for 200 50mm minnows :)The little starter kit I got to see what it's like, was about $30 I think. This came with a mold for 4 70mm paddle tails, some color, glitter and enough plastic for 70 SPs of this size.I think at best it may turn out to be a decent little hobby, just another form of fishing while I'm not on the water lol, kinda like daydreaming and going on this site :)Making Snapper leads and resin & lead jigheads, and SPs is what I plan on doing as a bit of a hobby, but I don't reckon it's likely to replace a visit to the tackle store :) especially as you say, the range available, from basic bloodworm wrigglers to nuclear chicken minnows :woohoo: Is just awesome when it comes to convenience.Although if I can catch some good fish on the homemade rubbers, it might feel just a little bit awesome :)@Peelin... You can buy a whole heap of scents, and I was planning on mucking around with fish oils and aniceed stuff once I get some good shapes I like :)P.s. Feeling sick as a dog tonight :( hope I'm right to reel in a few monsters tomorrow :)

Yeah Dubs' date=' once set up it will work out pretty cheap. $30 for 200 50mm minnows :)The little starter kit I got to see what it's like, was about $30 I think. This came with a mold for 4 70mm paddle tails, some color, glitter and enough plastic for 70 SPs of this size.I think at best it may turn out to be a decent little hobby, just another form of fishing while I'm not on the water lol, kinda like daydreaming and going on this site :)Making Snapper leads and resin & lead jigheads, and SPs is what I plan on doing as a bit of a hobby, but I don't reckon it's likely to replace a visit to the tackle store :) especially as you say, the range available, from basic bloodworm wrigglers to nuclear chicken minnows :woohoo: Is just awesome when it comes to convenience.Although if I can catch some good fish on the homemade rubbers, it might feel just a little bit awesome :)@Peelin... You can buy a whole heap of scents, and I was planning on mucking around with fish oils and aniceed stuff once I get some good shapes I like :)P.s. Feeling sick as a dog tonight :( hope I'm right to reel in a few monsters tomorrow :)[/quote']Yea so it does save a bit, definatly worth a go hey

Haha got the Aussie lighter from a servo around Australia day :)The plastics are ReaLLY rubbery and have big wobble to them with the paddle tail. When I do the molds, I will make em smaller and I'm not usually a massive fan of paddle tails, but these seemed to work :):):). As you can see in the pics, I trimmed some up into little flickbaits and thought they might have been more successful but weren't.Today was slow out there and I was the only one to even use a plastic at all. The other two clowns I was with were busy landing Snapper after Snapper (just pinkies, but some threatening legal). Trevally and Salmon trout occasionally too. It was frustrating because I didn't want to give up trying to get myself a Flathead on the SPs, but I heaps wanted to just have fun trying to crack a rugger :)Anyway, perseverance paid off.. Out there sick as dog with fish coming in on bait... But after the breakthrough salmon trout that I dropped before a pic, then this Bream that I fluked and I called it quits for the plastics. Also I would NEVER have thought to target a Bream with this sort of big bulky plastic.... Just goes to show I should probably broaden my horizons abit and give the wrigglers a rest ;)P.s. I'm sick as a dog with a cold.... But definately have a smile on my dial

well done jack glad u persisted with your SP and scored a couple of fish' date=' they arent huge fish but thats not the point, the point is u caught em on the lures u made which gives u the confidence too persist with them on future trips! u gotta be happy with that!! cheers snake[/quote']Thanks mate...And as far as persisting, I'm glad I did :) instead of catching cricket scores of fish, I managed a couple little gems.I'm no where near happy with the shape that came out of the mold I bought... Just way too big and bulky. So I trimmed em up, and still wasn't confident at all. But the positives are the real wobbly feel of the plastic and the fact that I a tually can make em with little fuss (apart from stinky fumes )SO I HAVE been busting myself with some of my own prototypes... So excited about it!!!! I've been making clay and play dough versions of the lures I like, except with my own ideas on how to improve them :) I've got a paddle tail bullet shaped grub that I have made into like a bullet shapped wriggler. Mold Went well, prototype swam well in the bath, and I've got a Ten piece mold setting now :):):) I'm gonna call this my JACK GRUB :)The other one I've got is like a squidgy pro flickbait, but I've just altered the shape a bit and made it with a much more rubbery plastic and have got the tail thinner so it has a gentle little action as it sinks :) :). Again. Prototype swam good and 10 piece mold for this is complete and ready for sanding and final sealing coat :) I'm calling this the JACK Fish :)Last one of my three inventions/reinventions, is a little shad style with the paddle. I've made the belly smaller and the paddle very subtle, so it works more like a flickbait, just with way more tail a Fiona because of the small paddle :) :):)Prototype made and I love it, but the single mold took forever to get right, and I'm taking a break from making a ten piece mold because I'm out of plaster of Paris due to the endless stuffups lol. This plastic will be cool, and I'll call it the JACK Swimmer.I've only made the prototypes in clear at the moment, but I think I'll just do two colours for each to start with.... A Flouro, and a natural type colour :):):)Having heaps of fun, and if the crappy mold I bought, can work, then these ones I'm working on should be awesome. BTW, they are all pretty small, 55mm and under.Cheers.... The very worst thing a person like me needs is ENCOURAGEMENT lol, I'm turning into a mad scientist :)