Sting Ray spots

I reckon the channel at Outer Harbour is a bit of a wasteland. I've had heaps of sucess with rays off the rocks at Second Valley, Myponga, Hallet Cove. There are also monsters in the Marina at Pt Vincent. The end of jetties are a good spot, especially ones that have plenty of squid like Ardrossan, Wallaroo and Wool Bay

Good call dude. Also a good chance of a Gummy or a Boronzie at Goolwa. There's not much in the way of gutters there it seems pretty churned and shallow, but a suprising sumber of sharks and rays are beached there. Quite a few soapies at certain times of year too, but thats a different story......

• 2 weeks later...
alright ill get get a chum mix happening' date=' an might try the jetty an torrens island[/quote']PM Me your number. I have a spot near the Port where it has been 100% success rate for me with rays.Ill take you there one day and we can hook some together. I have gotten a legal mully as a bycatch also.

still looking to catch a ray :( have no luck yet :( anyone give me a run down on a set up ? ive got a tekoda 700, braid, what leader should i be useing ? pound ? wire trace ? or non wire, ? size hooks ? what way to hook up certon baits ? ive got a set up now , but something has to be wrong since not catching any :(

hey mate, metro beaches should be worth a go, there a bit harder to get now though...my current set up is 300m of 25lb mono and 1m of 100lb trace on a running sinker rig. both mono and wire works good...6/0 to 10/0 hooks depending on bait size... rays like fresh bait especially tommies, squid and gar... I dont bother berleying either... brings too much shit fish in, if the rays are around they will sniff out ya bait ;)heres a specimen I got off a metro beach just under 5' widePosted Image

cheers m8 yeah they all jump heaps! haha that beast took ages to get in on 40lb braid and the line snapped when I was trying to beach it :ohmy: fought more like a smoothie if anything and I was calling it for one until it did a backflip in the horizon B)smoothies are a pain in the bum have got a couple of huge ones at henley on my 6/0 and 9/0 the quickest it took for me to get one in was an hour on the 9/0 :woohoo:

just need patients bud... fish for sumthing other than rays... they usually rock up when you dont want em hahahha :D :D :D

Yep !Try for something else, Fishing for a good sized Red is a sure fire method :dry: Put a "slop" line out while after other fish and you might be pleasantly surprised ;) :woohoo:

Fished Carrickalinga Head last week and got smashed by what I thought was a ray, ran like Kathy Freeman round a rock ledge and snapped the line. Took a full salmon trout bait. Spotted 4 big black rays that day. Was there today in the wind and spray and saw 2 big black rays for no reward.

marino rocks whole squid 60 lb trace 2 6/0 hooks running sinker bag a berley you cant miss anywhere along there even hooked one there on 400lb wire trace under baloon with a whole salmon targeting shark.& out front yacht club at seacliff see em all the time bringing the boat in.good luck and yeah maybe take a light rod with pillies targeting flathead youll get your ray.:fishing:

• 5 weeks later...

Grange jetty fish the last light pole before the shelter and cast paralell with the beach. I usually fish from 9 at night onwards sometimes later regardless of the tides using frozen tommies, freshly caught sprat tommies, baby squid, squid flaps, squid heads anything fishy or squiddy really that i can get my hands on but ive caught most of mine on whole and half tommies. You have to be prepared to pull in many dog sharks aswell and sea lice can get annoying sometimes but they arent always arounf, when crabs are about be sure to use squid heads or squid flaps heaped on a hook. I use two 9/0 circle hooks or two snelled 6/0 red hooks depending on bait size on a running rig. A ball sinker or barrel sinker or an ezy rig slider with about a meter of 80lb mono trace and a hefty swivel. I use a penn 950ss spinfisher with about 400 meters if not more of 50 lb braid on a 12 kilo 7ft rod. I always have my drag completely loose so the ray can take off easy. The other week i caught an eagle ray which had a wing span of 6 feet it took me two hours to pull in and had another 2 screaming runs when i thought it was done. Every session ive done at grange ive seen one or more rays mostly eaglies and the odd smoothie depending on how much berley is in the water due to crabbers etc. Ive had multiple runs and hook up in all but one session and i have caught a ray every session but 3 of them. many bust offs and near spoolings when i was using lighter gear. Hope this helps it would probably apply for any metro jetty but ive found grange to be the best producer.

id say o sullivans beach boat ramp breakwater both sides but watch out for a few obsticles lol haha anywhere really man grab a small bag of pillies crush em up in ur hand throw a handfull in every 10 to 20 mins and u will have to get 1 haha the gear u have sounds fine. but i like to fish light so i use a 7000 pro rocket 20lb line does well with most rays haha cheers tp