tip for cooking crabs

mate showed me how he cooks crabs other day best way of doing it i have found so far.. drown crabs in fresh water stops limbs dropping off.. have water on boil with salt .. pop them in water.. bring back to boil then leave 5 or so minutes. have an ice slurry with salt in also . this was the bit i found helpful place crabs in slurry upside down and it drains most of the crap into the shell. then peel off shell rip out lungs,mouth and give a quick rinse in water again was the cleanest i have ever seen them hope this helps cheers.if you are after a bargain on ice there is a house st kilda rd 22kg's $7.00 its flake ice aswell great for slurry.

mate showed me how he cooks crabs other day best way of doing it i have found so far.. drown crabs in fresh water stops limbs dropping off.. have water on boil with salt .. pop them in water.. bring back to boil then leave 5 or so minutes. have an ice slurry with salt in also . this was the bit i found helpful place crabs in slurry upside down and it drains most of the crap into the shell. then peel off shell rip out lungs' date='mouth and give a quick rinse in water again was the cleanest i have ever seen them hope this helps cheers.if you are after a bargain on ice there is a house st kilda rd 22kg's $7.00 its flake ice aswell great for slurry.[/quote']I usually bring home 40ltrs of sea water to cook them in. Have tried fresh water with salt but straight sea water is betterWhere on St Kilda Rd is the ice ?????. $7 for 22kg...BargainI havent tried steaming as yet but where do i find a big enough steamer to hold all my crabs.?? My crab cooking pot holds a lot of crabsNot keen on doing a couple at a time

heading towards st kilda its on the left hand side there is a shabby sign next to the road.approx 2klms?mates cooker holds 40 crabs was from an old food processing place he got it for his crays.yeah would only be able to steam a few at a time but i usually only eat max 5 fresh at any 1 timewe usually come in when we get 30/40 between mate and i keep 10 each for fresh then give remainder to others like family etc to enjoy.

the "crap" goes into the shell.......mmmmmmmmmmmmmmm "mustard" :P we boil ours and set in an ice slurry too.during the boiling / cooking process,we throw in 2 big sliced lemons,a crushed clove of garlic and half a dozen sliced chillies.our cooker is an 18 gallon(?) stainless beer keg that's been cut in half.......and yes,only used sea water.tried "steamed",but not for me :sick: as stated,"horses for courses"..........it's all good ;)B)