how long does leader need to be for soft plastics

Ok so while i was looking around Kmart today i saw packets with "leader" on them..I really dont want to sound too stupid but what exactly is a leader?and what is a trace?I really have no understanding of terminology.. I just fish.but of course i want to know these things.

Leader/trace are just different words for the same thing.Leader is just a higher quality line which generally comes on shorter rolls (50 or 100m).I prefer a longer leader, also around a rod length, so that the leader knot sits just short of the reel when I'm ready to cast. After tying a few dirrefent jigheads during the course of the day, naturally the leader length with shorten as the day progresses, and I always tie a new leader at the commencement of a days fishing.

Im guessing its to absorb any any shock loading etc
Thats right Kat the mono or flurocarbon has a lot of stretch so it does help as a shock absorber, but the main reasons would be for abraision resistance because mono etc is a lot tougher than braid when it comes to reef and toothy fish and it's also a lot less visible to the fish than braid.I use anything between 60cm and a rod length depending on the species i'm targeting:) cheers
i like it really long so when i wind in my bait the knot is backed way up on the real' date=' i find i get a really good cast that way. somtimes even after the cast theres still trace left on the real cant get more abrasion resistant than that.[/quote']
Sounds like you should be running or are running straight mono mate:) braid is an expensive backing:laugh: