Word of warning about taking pics on your phone

If you have a fancy smart phone (iphone etc) that has a GPS, turn it off when you take pics of your fish AT YOUR FISHING LOCATION...Your current GPS location is stored in the picture (EXIF data), giving away your 'spot x'. Or if you take a picture of your catch at home...So do yourself a boral paver, turn off your GPS, or disable the option to store your current location in pics.

If you have a fancy smart phone (iphone etc) that has a GPS' date=' turn it off when you take pics of your fish AT YOUR FISHING LOCATION...Your current GPS location is stored in the picture (EXIF data), giving away your 'spot x'. Or if you take a picture of your catch at home...So do yourself a boral paver, turn off your GPS, or disable the option to store your current location in pics.[/quote']Thnks for the heads up Kingsley ! :clap: Most of my fish will be caught in my backyard now :P
haha its kinda funny' date=' I replied to a thread like this on a 4wd forum just yesterday. Exif can be very easily removed with any Exif remover program, just google Exif Remover, run the pics through the program before you post them and your info is kept to yourself.[/quote']This one SK ?http://www.rlvision.com/exif/about.asp

yup.The recording of GPS data in photos is called GeoTagging. It is a fairly decent idea (how many times have you looked at a photo and said, where was that taken?), but it poses privacy issues if the person taking the photos is unaware of it and shares these photos.It doesn't help that some 'smart phones' are set by default to record this info, and most of these phone users are totally oblivious to the fact.So yeah For Sale ads with GeoTagged photos means anyone can see where the item is located...

For anyone interested, I've knocked up a simple EXIF Remover tool that will strip all EXIF data from multiple files very easily.Just simply select all the files you want to strip, and drag and drop them onto the file icon. It will then create new files without the EXIF data.EXIFRemover.zipAnd for anyone super interested, I have attached the delphi source code for EXIF Remover.EXIFRemover_SourceCode.zip

heh heh heh... now that would be telling :pwouldn't want to go stealing your fellow site member's spot x's now would you.but I wouldn't begrudge you stealing spots from other sites members! :DBTW I took the liberty of searching all pics on here, and can tell you not many actually have GPS locations. And the ones that do, I've PM'd to let them know ;)

geeze!so if i have a simple phone? with no gps they cant track the pic?i know i know,! but im illiterate with tecky stuff, only just learnt to txt and set the alarm!If its scary for you teckys imagine us poor souls that havent a clue what these gadjets can even do.sigh and i just bought a digital camera.Alikath.

heh heh heh... now that would be telling :pwouldn't want to go stealing your fellow site member's spot x's now would you.but I wouldn't begrudge you stealing spots from other sites members! :DBTW I took the liberty of searching all pics on here' date=' and can tell you not many actually have GPS locations. And the ones that do, [b']I've PM'd to let them know[/b] ;)

I was thinking exactly the same thing could happen Kingsley :blink: :whistle: I didnt say anything just in case anyone got ideas, though you'd obviously hope no-one here would !Well done on the PMs too !