TO HAVE OR NOT..BOAT

Guest fishum

Guest fishum

Owning a boat may not be as pleasurable as one may think.Two sections here that I would like to cover..boats and land based fishing.To own a boat there are a number of things that need to be considered.Starting with trailer =Rust on steel frameWheel falling offBroken springPuncturesWheel bearing seizedWinch failure or cable snappingStolen trailer or partsregoRollers falling offBOAT =Damage hullMotor failureServicingReplacing fittings cleats etcNew rope and anchorDamaged propellerMotor hydraulic tilt/trim failure or leakingElectrical wiring faults or failureElectric starter failureRego and insurancePetrol pricesSounder or gps failureHeavy duty batteryNow we need to decide how much we are going to spend for something that?s going to sit more than half of its life on a drivewayBuy big and new $30,000-$50,000 and be able to go further out and into bigger seas.Buy small and new $8,000-$15,000 and not venture out too far.Buy big or small used boat and wonder how long before you need to spend more money getting something fixed.Buy a car of the same values as above and use it every day.Most cases you have probably taken a loan and need to pay it off over 5 years.If the whole family is into boating,sking and fishing then its as good as it gets.Lets not forget about clean and tidy up after returning home out at sea.We will need to spend on tackle suited for boating..For some they have gone into another direction and purchased a kayak.Limited on water conditions and no passengers but even when spending as much as $8,000 with all the goodies included it ends up much more affordable plus you can quietly sneak up onto fish and a electric motor can be included in the price.Land based fishing =You need to get yourself to the water..simpleMany a good fish has been caught land or jetty based,you buy the rod and reels you need and cast.total starting investment under $200Buy a second hand Subaru four wheel drive to get yourself to good locations and have a variety of fish and use the same vehicle to get around all year.I had a guy say ..I had a boat once and found I can catch more fish land based..So the dilemma is there for owners or noobs wanting there first boat.Buy the wrong one or type can be another problem.I guess we all need to do something in our lives to be entertained be it fishing,chess club or sky diving.That?s my rant.Just something I had been thinking about for a while..owning a boat.

Owning a boat may not be as pleasurable as one may think.Two sections here that I would like to cover..boats and land based fishing.To own a boat there are a number of things that need to be considered.Starting with trailer =Rust on steel frame:- Galv so no probs at this stage[/color:3okc9vn4]Wheel falling off:- not yet[/color:3okc9vn4]Broken spring:- not yet[/color:3okc9vn4]Punctures:- happened[/color:3okc9vn4]Wheel bearing seized:- that happened as well[/color:3okc9vn4]Winch failure or cable snapping: Black strap broke 3 ft from winch post[/color:3okc9vn4]Stolen trailer or parts:- not yet[/color:3okc9vn4]rego:- ongoing[/color:3okc9vn4]Rollers falling off:-getting used to that[/color:3okc9vn4]BOAT =Damage hull:- guilty[/color:3okc9vn4]Motor failure:- not once but twice, with my old blue band Merc.[/color:3okc9vn4]Servicing:- necessary evil[/color:3okc9vn4]Replacing fittings cleats etc:- been there, done that[/color:3okc9vn4]New rope and anchor:- why do they always get stuck in deep water[/color:3okc9vn4]Damaged propeller:- nothing that a hammer and dolly couldnt fix[/color:3okc9vn4]Motor hydraulic tilt/trim failure or leaking:- got a Honda, so far so good[/color:3okc9vn4]Electrical wiring faults or failure:- story of my life(on trailer with tail lights)[/color:3okc9vn4]Electric starter failure:- got a rope , just in case[/color:3okc9vn4]Rego and insurance:- yep comes around every year(July)[/color:3okc9vn4]Petrol prices:- not much we can do about that one[/color:3okc9vn4]Sounder or gps failure:- Gawd I hope not[/color:3okc9vn4]Heavy duty battery:- better than having a cheap one[/color:3okc9vn4]That?s my rant.Just something I had been thinking about for a while..owning a boat.

Yep..well the saying goes. "If you can afford to buy one then you can afford to run one"Its hard to go fishing in your car, although I have done that at the Smokey Bay ramp when I left the car in neutral and the Holden handbrake fully on, slid back into the briny when the boat was on the trailer, bad move that one.Living about an hour from the sea, the only thing that could make it easier is to sell the house and move, and I cant see myself doing that.[/color:3okc9vn4]

Fishum, I recon you left a heap off ya list, and boats do cost a fortune to run, which the average boatless punter simply does not realise. And ya know what, I wouldn't trade it for the world! {SMILIES_PATH}/grin.gifB ringO utA notherT housand {SMILIES_PATH}/grin.gif {SMILIES_PATH}/grin.gif {SMILIES_PATH}/grin.gif {SMILIES_PATH}/grin.gif {SMILIES_PATH}/grin.gif {SMILIES_PATH}/grin.gif {SMILIES_PATH}/grin.gif {SMILIES_PATH}/grin.gif {SMILIES_PATH}/grin.gif {SMILIES_PATH}/grin.gif {SMILIES_PATH}/grin.gif {SMILIES_PATH}/grin.gif {SMILIES_PATH}/grin.gif {SMILIES_PATH}/grin.gif {SMILIES_PATH}/grin.gif {SMILIES_PATH}/grin.gif {SMILIES_PATH}/grin.gif {SMILIES_PATH}/grin.gif {SMILIES_PATH}/grin.gif {SMILIES_PATH}/grin.gif {SMILIES_PATH}/grin.gif {SMILIES_PATH}/grin.gif {SMILIES_PATH}/grin.gif {SMILIES_PATH}/grin.gif {SMILIES_PATH}/grin.gif {SMILIES_PATH}/grin.gif {SMILIES_PATH}/grin.gif {SMILIES_PATH}/grin.gif {SMILIES_PATH}/grin.gif

Agreed Yobbo, I've lost count of the shitty days I've spent down the shed tinkering & fine tuning, a few beers & some tunes for inspiration, but thats when Ranger's anagram kicks in

B ringO utA notherT housand
But who cares, a lot of us boaties have only this single passion, a lot of my buddies are motor enthusiast & we all pretty much know how much money you can throw at that. I'm also lucky, I have a wife that loves her fishing so it's a passion shared.Cheers , spog

I agree whole heartedly with all comments! But for me buying a boat is something I sometimes think I should of done years ago, although I would of been younger and may not of got the same enjoyment out of owning a boat as I do now. The money spent on other hobbies would of payed for a boat many times over in all reality. As already said, which size boat to buy but my boat is not huge but very easy to handle by myself and room enough for 3 comfortably. I would love to own a bigger boat, Being a Kevlacat, but budget restricts this dream and then it comes down to amount of use , storage, handling of the boat(physically launching) and then fuel and servicing will increase drastically. The only thing I can say is when fishing off of the rocks or jetty I can't remember the amount of times I have said to whoever I am fishing with "wish I had Boat". Well now after owning a boat I have the best of both of best worlds, fish off the jetty and rocks, even beach fishing which sometime happens from the boat. Launch and head to the bit of beach I want to fish, jump out and fish off the beach, rake crabs and then head home lol. You open up more areas that are hard to fish land based. I have had more luck fishing from a boat and I am sure others have done very well fishing off "land" but I could not be happier with the decision I made in purchasing a boat. Cheers Greeny03

Guest fishum

Fishum, [u:2yy95hnh]I recon you left a heap off ya list[/u:2yy95hnh][/color:2yy95hnh], and boats do cost a fortune to run, which the average boatless punter simply does not realise. And ya know what, I wouldn't trade it for the world! {SMILIES_PATH}/grin.gifB ringO utA notherT housand {SMILIES_PATH}/grin.gif {SMILIES_PATH}/grin.gif {SMILIES_PATH}/grin.gif {SMILIES_PATH}/grin.gif {SMILIES_PATH}/grin.gif {SMILIES_PATH}/grin.gif {SMILIES_PATH}/grin.gif {SMILIES_PATH}/grin.gif {SMILIES_PATH}/grin.gif {SMILIES_PATH}/grin.gif {SMILIES_PATH}/grin.gif {SMILIES_PATH}/grin.gif {SMILIES_PATH}/grin.gif {SMILIES_PATH}/grin.gif {SMILIES_PATH}/grin.gif {SMILIES_PATH}/grin.gif {SMILIES_PATH}/grin.gif {SMILIES_PATH}/grin.gif {SMILIES_PATH}/grin.gif {SMILIES_PATH}/grin.gif {SMILIES_PATH}/grin.gif {SMILIES_PATH}/grin.gif {SMILIES_PATH}/grin.gif {SMILIES_PATH}/grin.gif {SMILIES_PATH}/grin.gif {SMILIES_PATH}/grin.gif {SMILIES_PATH}/grin.gif {SMILIES_PATH}/grin.gif {SMILIES_PATH}/grin.gif

I tried to think of things that most boats have as a standard without going to deep into it..just general stuff.Not all have electric winch on trailer or anchor,updating safety stuff etc List could go on for a whileEvery boat iv'e had has had hours spent on it getting it the way i want,just got a bit sick of doing it 8 times so far.Some times it makes me think just owning a big tinny with tiller steering only,plain and simple.Less to go wrong,just a fish finder and gps as extras.

Some times it makes me think just owning a big tinny with tiller steering only,plain and simple.Less to go wrong,just a fish finder and gps as extras.

Yeah right! And then I'll talk to ya when you're planning purchase of boat number 10! {SMILIES_PATH}/tongue.gifFor anyone weighing up the issue of boat purchase though, dont forget there's now boat hire available too: http://strikehook.com/index.php?option= ... pic=1041.0 or ya could just book a charter as required.Sure $150-200 sounds expensive for a days fishing on either of these options, but just talk to any boat owner first, and you'll soon come to realise just how good that value really is. Ya don't have another lot of insurance and rego to pay, you don't have a boat and trailer living in ya shed, and ya dont have the ongoing mainenance and repair costs.
Guest undertaker

For me,the thought of having a boat has never entered my mind........I have caught plenty of good fish from boats,but chronically sea sick.Have left more of me at sea than anywhere,even after a heavy night on the turps in my younger years!"Burley Boy,calling Ralph"....call it what you will........not for me! I've tried everything I know.......kwell's / travacalm,magnets,copper bracelets,ginger,keep eating / drinking fluids,watching the horizon......even acupuncture.....I know a good one by the way.....pm me if you need one.Strange isn't it.......horses for courses.......can do my job,no worries......get me on a boat......all over.Lot's of people have told me to "stick at it,you'll get used to it".....sorry,not prepared to,and don't wish anyone to feel sorry for me.I refuse to spoil a trip for anyone in their boat these days,so just stay on dry land.I envy you buggers who can.

not for me! I've tried everything I know.......kwell's / travacalm,magnets,copper bracelets,ginger,keep eating / drinking fluids,watching the horizon......even acupuncture.....I know a good one by the way.....pm me if you need one.Another way to suppress seasickness it to keep away from dairy products 24hrs b4 you go.[/color:1taq7r5p]

I bought my first boat at age 19, a cheap tinny, which i intended to modify to suit my passion. I am now 25 I have owned two boats, both of which I am very proud, it is/has become a huge part of my life and I wouldn't change that for anything..My partner understands my passion and is supportive. I have tried cars, bikes and boats, they all cost money, but I get the most enjoyment and the least fines from the motor boat, and it allows me to catch these... size=315http://www.fishyorkepeninsula.com/images/attachments/I26UOsbW__first_snapper_on_plastic.jpg[/img]

I get the most enjoyment and the least fines from the motor boat

Gotta admit, aftet 20 odd years, I gave the bike thing away a few years back, I coz knew I'd either end up without a license, or paying a visit to Undertaker! I get just as much enjoyment from the boat, and at least the boat is a family thing now that I'm old and married, whereas the bike was solely a personal thing where I'd bugger orf wiv the boys for the weekend!

Shauno, tale sounds familiar, @ 19 first boat, Carribean Cobra 110 merc, nightmare. Cracked powerhead twice, sub'd by Johno 115, soon to be rebuilt & beefed to a 140 with the addition of exhaust hub & carb upgrade, 3 propellors later fulfilled the job.At 21, Next Camero Nordic mk1, rear mount v drive 350, lots of goodies, 2 propellors, 1 heavily modified, job done. Next a rocket, about 23, Haines Signature 1700s (a lot of scuba being done at this stage) 135 v6 Mariner, was OK but no torque, std stainless 19", Lazer 19", Vengance 20" all ok but still underdone. Upgrade, Yam 225, hold your hat on, Std stainless 21", 64mph out the box, 4 blade Trophy packed out engine with wedges, 68mph, lost down low grunt, Cleaver 24" jacked up 3", never reached rev limiter but to fast for speedo to register & chine walked like a demon, 5 blade 21", torque to pull out a tree, speed topped at 74mph on rev limiter.At 26 first brand newie, Flightcraft 18xlt swapped Yam over to it, awesome boat over 1400hours put on it, took heads off & decoked at 700hrs, that was it for 7 years, Oh, 5 blade 21" pulled like a mack truck, one of the best tournament boats ever to ski behind, numerous State & National Jump records pulled behind it @ 17 litres an hour it was good. Scary 17 litres by 1400 hours equals 23800 litres @ $1.60 nearly $40k in fuel only at todays rates, no wonder why I work a 7 day business to make ends meet.At 33 first brand new inboard, Malibu Response, Indmar multipoint injected 350, all the good stuff including Perfect pass cruise control, $3k worth, the best boat I've ever had, bought 3 of them, 1 each year after this one. Retired @ 35 with a broken body (from competing), swapped Response for a Whittley Sea Legend 6.3, great boat, since bought shop & struggled to find time to use it, so, now the Quinny trophy tournament 4.0, great boat, 3 props later 52kmh, a days fishin' on about 7 litres of fuel. Got to love it. Finatic

Guest undertaker

Gotta admit, aftet 20 odd years, I gave the bike thing away a few years back, I coz knew I'd either end up without a license, or paying a visit to Undertaker!

"Why are people so unkind"........we're really nice people......honest!