Guest Butters

I have not eaten them but I know they are protected. As to why I dont know they certainatly are not endangered all I catch!

Dont think they are protected mate.. I haven't tried eating them either.. i think i would rather eat a carp!! {SMILIES_PATH}/grin.gif {SMILIES_PATH}/grin.gif

Good luck getting a fillet off it!! LMAO!! {SMILIES_PATH}/cheesy.gif {SMILIES_PATH}/cheesy.gif {SMILIES_PATH}/cheesy.gif {SMILIES_PATH}/grin.gif I reckon a chainsaw wouldn't make any inroads, and if it did, I think I'd rather eat my sandshoes - stench and all.. {SMILIES_PATH}/wink.gif {SMILIES_PATH}/cheesy.gif {SMILIES_PATH}/grin.gifCheers,Wino

Guest undertaker

Agreed.Dog shark = Port Jackson Shark (?) = PROTECTEDWhat's the old story re cooking a galah?A large pot of water,a galah and a stone.Boil until stone is soft,throw away the galah and eat the stone.Rather eat a Turkish wrestlers jock strap.

anyone who eats a Port Jackson shark will need a good supply of knives and be a very good sharpener, they have skin tougher than any other living animal on earth (well almost) and a big speciman MAY yeild about 200 grams of edible flesh, they are prehistoric in their make up and have a big boney head and body, and those stupid looking spikes on their dorsal fins, only good thing about them is when you hook one, for a jiffy you think you have something good, OH and they can be good fun to grab when diving and let them take you for a ride, but might just as well chuck 'em back, pretty useless for anything, and they can give you a very nasty "gumming" if one clamps onto your finger, hurts like buggery.
Theese sre protected in some states not all.As for cooking and eating get 2 large pebbles put in pot with fish,bring to boil,when pebbles are soft enough to eat throw away fish and eat pebbles,They also have a poison sac in them so be aware.
we ran into the maratime / fisheries guys yesterday & they said no dramas to catch, but didn't know if they tasted any good.bag limit is as for school sharks in nsw.
I did some quick research as I was interested to find out more.Seems these sharks are on the least threatened list of species which means it is very likely they can be eaten or even kept as pets etc.
  • 3 weeks later...

Dog Shark or Port Jackson is not on any protected list in South Australia, however there is a species in NSW Known localy as a Port Jackson shark which is protected but it is not the same species as ours.An average sized PJ from the Spencer Gulf, around 6kg, would yield about 150 grams of flesh if you could hold your breath long enough to butcher it. They STINKRogerG

• 3 months later...
  • 4 weeks later...

So they stink :icon_eek: and carp and a turkist wrestlers jock strap taste better.I think I will pass and try some thing a bit tastier I have tried the galah recipe, still waiting for stone to soften :icon_lol:Think I will try something more edible like snakes bladder or tigers penis after all the asians say they are very good ;)