G'day Fellow fishers, I'm reasonably new to fly fishing and I tend to pick up the fly rod first whenever I'm out these days.B)I've been sucessful in catching several Browns in the river tribs and Rainbows in private dams but am limited in where to fish in the Hills which are legal.Any help here would be appreciated. Also just enquiring if there's anyone out there catching Yellow Fin Whiting on flies and what type/colour and where?I was thinking of the mouth of the Onk would be good for starters.I have a 4w and 6w weight fwd, was going to try the 6w first, just in case something bigger has a go, (Forever hopeful) :)Again any help would be appreciated.

Hi BB, I did have one fun afternoon down there on fly a couple years ago and haven't been back for some reason. You just reminded me.This spot up from the walk bridge was good on an incoming tide, and the fish seemed to be coming in with the water.None were legal, but the bigger ones have to be close by I guess.Wading up to the knees, you could see 4 or 5 fish fighting to get the fly first and resulted in quite a few hookups. Onk.JPGI just threw these two small flies on and they worked on the day.. Posted ImageStill have to try these worm imitations out down there, and holidays coming up soon so I might have to give it a go.. Posted ImageGood luck..

• 7 months later...

I've caught a couple of yfw on fly in the onka as a by catch when fishing for bream on fly. if anybody requires small flies to target smaller species like st's, yfw, mullet etc i have made a few up & sell them at GOTONE stmary's these flies have now accounted for 12 species in this state i call them deeper dans basically my variation of the crazy charlie pattern on size 8 mustard s/s 34007 hook & hand sharpened.just a side note we also have some blackridge fly combo's now in stock & for the beginner fly fisher are ideal.cheers. Joe.

I've caught a couple of yfw on fly in the onka as a by catch when fishing for bream on fly. if anybody requires small flies to target smaller species like st's' date=' yfw, mullet etc i have made a few up & sell them at GOTONE stmary's these flies have now accounted for 12 species in this state i call them deeper dans basically my variation of the crazy charlie pattern on size 8 mustard s/s 34007 hook & hand sharpened.just a side note we also have some blackridge fly combo's now in stock & for the beginner fly fisher are ideal.cheers. Joe.[/quote']Cheers for the help mate! im having a look at a few comobos but i will for sure purchase a few of those flies!.... just dont wanna rush into the wrong combo and find that i out grow it and have to buy another one in a year or so when i should have just bought a better one to start off!do you work at gotone?
  • 3 weeks later...
I've caught a couple of yfw on fly in the onka as a by catch when fishing for bream on fly. if anybody requires small flies to target smaller species like st's' date=' yfw, mullet etc i have made a few up & sell them at GOTONE stmary's these flies have now accounted for 12 species in this state i call them deeper dans basically my variation of the crazy charlie pattern on size 8 mustard s/s 34007 hook & hand sharpened.just a side note we also have some blackridge fly combo's now in stock & for the beginner fly fisher are ideal.cheers. Joe.[/quote']any chance of a pic of this fly mate? im interested:) cheers