Rigging a small crab as bait

When I was on the Glenelg river last the local bait shop owner told me that the old salts use a small crab unweighted to reliably catch some big ol blue lips. As I havent had any luck on the SPs or HB's lately I was thinking of fossicking for some small crabs and trying for some wiley bream. Only problem is I have no idea of how to rig such a crustacean. Any advice would be tops. Also is there a minimum size on the small crabs I have seen around in the port etc?

There is no minimum size on the little rock crabs, bearing in mind that you cannot take anything from an "intertidal zone".I rig them by sticking the hook in the back of the carapace by the rear leg, and coming out the other side by the other rear leg.You will get less bites using crab, but generally larger fish.

you can find those little suckers outside of the intertidal zone quite easily.saw a show once where they had 2 big blue nose bream and 2 smaller bream in a tank they droppedin the crabs little bbream where to scared to have a go big one s came up and bam gone in a instand just remember they will crush the crabs asap to kill it so i find early hits the best hook up

There is no minimum size on the little rock crabs' date=' bearing in mind that you cannot take anything from an "intertidal zone".I rig them by sticking the hook in the back of the carapace by the rear leg, and coming out the other side by the other rear leg.You will get less bites using crab, but generally larger fish.[/quote']Yep... That about sums it up. I recently got an official response from PiRSA that man made rock walls/ breakwaters are exempt for the intertidal no take regulations :)Some of the little bream are pretty brave when it comes tothe crabs. So the bigger the crab the better like has been said, the ones with big claws scare the little Bream..... Especially if you fish your bait in an area the bream aren't used to seeing a lot of crabs ;)Wish I knew how Ranger and the other Proper Bream boys do it so well with the SPs :blink: I'm still workin on that one :blush:

sirwaxxalotHave you tried these little suckers?http://www.berkley-fishing.com/products/soft-bait/gulp-alive/peeler-crab-gulp-aliveCheersarcherfish

No I havent but maybe they'd be worth a shot!

I recently got an official response from PiRSA that man made rock walls/ breakwaters are exempt for the intertidal no take regulations

So this means that the rocks near the birkenhead tavern would be exempt? That was the place I was thinking to go gather at low tide.

I really don't know about that Birkenhead area.... I think part of it would be true intertidal and part of it not ????? I wouldn't want to argue it with fisheries.But where ever you get em from, make sure you move around and don't take em from ONE spot and have another location too (you probably know this anyway)I have three crab grounds and then often take them to westlakes and fish away from rocks with them ;)(come to think of it maybe I now have 4 spots.... Birkenhead too now lol)Good luck, it takes a bit of practise to keep em alive. If you get a decent sized crab and a small bream nails it, you know it died :(

Only bait I ever used to use while fishing for them in one of the Victor rivers when I lived down that way. Rigged the same way as Ranger mentions & yes not as many bites but all would be monsters. Never thought to take any pics. or measurements of the fish back then either as I did not really consider it much.:ohmy:

Went out today and fished with crabs solely. Mostly near where the tugs used to anchor in front of the birkenhead tavern. Noticed the smaller crabs were being picked off my hook VERY easily, didnt even know I had a bite. Only one of the bites I had seemed like an actual bite (tap tap) Got frustrated with this, sun was getting warm and the people at the Birk looked like they were enjoying their beers. Found a couple of larger crabs, at least 2-3 times the size of the previous ones. I was thinking that they would have a hard time picking these off the hook. First one I had a decent bite, missed and crab gone. Second crab was bigger and stayed on the hook. Had a huge bite struck and he felt on, but I think he had the crab in his mouth and the hook hadnt set, after a few pull and winds he spat it out. All in all doughnuts =D