Do I need a 4x4 to launch at Marion Bay & Pondie?

I have seen 2 wheel vehicles at both Marion Bay and Pondalowie, but I would be a bit nervous with a 18 footer plus. This also depends a conditions at the time, such as weed and weather the beach has be washed away from the concrete at Pondy.I would defnitely prefer to use a 4 wheel drive to stay out of trouble. I,ve used a 3 ton F350 on both and is rear wheel only. :f

Depending on the size of your boat but if its small enough a possible option could be too unhook it from trailer and push it into the water with jockey wheel then pull trailer back up beach/ramp by hooking up a rope to it.For retrieval push trailer down, put boat on trailer then pull up again using the rope.Used to do this with a 14 foot tinny off the beach at pt gibbon south of cowell.

Hey fishos' date='just wondering if i definately need a 4x4 to launch at Marion Bay and Pondalowie.if not, where would be my best bet to launch?cheers[/quote']Great question Breambo, I would like to add to your question by asking, Is retrieval a lot harder than putting the boat in the water?(probably obvious answer is yes to this, I guess). Has anyone got any tips for us newbies to these beach type launch sites. Also does having a tilt trailer help?cheers Catchno

Breambo, have done it several timesSubaru no probs but beware the rising swell :blink:pondesubaru.jpgit comes around the point, both Ponde & Marion baylooks like a 5cm wave :huh: :huh: but the reality is it is like a tsunami as the wave length can be huge :woohoo:thus it can push up the beach or ramp quite a bit :huh: have seen many a boat pushed up & then off the side of the trailer at Marion Bay& Ponde, well you get a bit of a wet car like this guy :evil: :evil:http://www.strikehook.com/forum/27-boat-fishing/85392-beach-launching-tips#85454 Should you enjoy a day out at Ponde to come back to big swell :blush: drive left along the beach to the corner, it has a hard rock base ;)pondebayrockbase.jpg unhook your trailer, walk it out & winch it under your boat ;) either drive it by boat power back in or pull it with your anchor rope ;) hook up & go but keep your speed up a little along the beachas the seaweed very gets soggy :woohoo: Finatic

Just my 2c.I have launched only at Marion Bay.Used to use Prado.Current 4x4 is a jackaroo.My old man always launches there with his Calais. I tell him he's mad and it requires plenty of muckin around but he does get the job done. 5.4m glass boat.Fanatic explained it perfectly ;)

mate get ya self a set of these http://www.maxtrax.com.au/or even a coupla lengths of timber about a mtr long when ya back ya car down put these under ya back wheels it will stop them sinking while ya pull ya boat on and gives you a little run up before hitting the soft stuff ( momentum is your friend on sand) i use mine when i launch my tinnie of the beach simply because it makes it easy the max trtax are not real cheep but have saved me more than once,and seeing as i travel mostly with just the missis and kids i like to know i can get my self out quick...

• 10 months later...