Crabs off Port Noarlunga

HiA bit off from posts about of flippered friends.Since I've been here I've been under the impression that there was no crab fishing with nets off the whole of Port Noarlunga jetty.The last couple of times I've been along, the signs seem to have changed stating that crab fishing is allowed before the line at the end, even the lines been painted again.Any ideas if teh rules have chanegd or have they just put up a general sign, thats on every other jetty.CheersMatthew

Came accross this post.Just to confirm, there has been no change to the rules. Port Noarlunga Jetty is within the Port Noarlunga Aquatic Reserve.Rod and Handline Fishing is the only permitted activity from the jetty.Crabs nets are not allowed.No fishing at all is allowed past the yellow line on the jetty.TroyFisheries OfficerBirkenhead

Came accross this post.Just to confirm' date=' there has been no change to the rules. Port Noarlunga Jetty is within the Port Noarlunga Aquatic Reserve.Rod and Handline Fishing is the only permitted activity from the jetty.Crabs nets are [b']not[/b] allowed.No fishing at all is allowed past the yellow line on the jetty.TroyFisheries OfficerBirkenhead

Hi Troy, Just Devils Advocacy again, (He made me do it!)I've often tangled up a sand crab or two in my mullet rigs, especially when using a berley spring off the Jetty and also off the beach!Is the thrust of the legislation to protect the Crabs in the Sanctuary, bearing in mind the actual sanctuary zone is from the marked line on the jetty out to sea, or is there some other issue with council or others about using nets generally from the Jetty?If the legislation is to protect the Crabs, does this mean any taken as a bye catch by other legal means, need to be returned to the water?Cheers, Tony.

TonyAquatic Reserves have been established to protect the habitat, ecosystems and communities of the rich variety of underwater organisms found in the marine and estuarine waters of South Australia.This aquatic reserve was established to protect the plants and animals associated with the Port Noarlunga Reef from exploitation and to provide protection to the lower Onkaparinga River’s estuarine habitat.

bearing in mind the actual sanctuary zone is from the marked line on the jetty out to sea

The actual aquatic reserve is much bigger than that Tony. Its just that there is no fishing at all at the end of the jetty or close to the reefs.See attached link for the map of the Port Noarlunga Aquatic Reserve.http://www.pir.sa.gov.au/__data/assets/pdf_file/0004/65416/10._AqResWeb.pdf]I believe the legislation is in place, so as to impact the immediate environment as little as possible, which is why only a rod and line can be used. Therefore, in this case, the restriction is placed on the gear being used, not the species taken.That is, crabs caught as incidental bycatch using a rod and line can be taken.TroyFisheries OfficerBirkenhead

i have just one question regarding crab nets on porties jetty, does this law only affect baited crab nets as i like catching drummer from this jetty and have used these nets as a means of lifting the drummer onto the jetty without hurting the fish for release or is this a no-no activity aswell

www.pir.sa.gov.au/__data/assets/pdf_file/0004/65416/10._AqResWeb.pdfSorry Mate a misplaced ]

have used these nets as a means of lifting the drummer onto the jetty without hurting the fish for release or is this a no-no activity aswell

This is another example of where officers would use their discretion and when used like this, as a 'landing net', if you will, not baited, it should be ok. As long as it is not left in the water nor used to actually 'catch' the fish / crabs.Troy.

Thanks PhearHaving a little issue inserting the correct link. A little PC dyslexia.

You're not the only one to suffer from PC dyslexia Troy, I am also a sufferer ;):cheer: Thanks for helping us out Phear. :clap: Another question for you Troy in regards to trolling lures outside of the Port Noarlunga reef(seaward side). Are you allowed to troll lures from a boat within the 100metre mark(seaward side of reef) shown on the aquatic reserve map? Also is anchoring banned within the 100metre mark?Over the years the no anchor zone(from memory) has expanded in distance a few times, Thanks in advance for your answers. I think it's awesome that PIRSA are a part of this forum, good on ya's.:)

Are you allowed to troll lures from a boat within the 100metre mark(seaward side of reef) shown on the aquatic reserve map?

No, there is a total fishing ban within 100 metres of the reef, except from the permitted area on the jetty.

Also is anchoring banned within the 100metre mark?

No, anchoring / boating is permitted, it is the activity of fishing that is not allowed in this area.Hope that helps answer your questions.TroyFisheries OfficerBirkenhead

Are you allowed to troll lures from a boat within the 100metre mark(seaward side of reef) shown on the aquatic reserve map?

No' date=' there is a total fishing ban within 100 metres of the reef, except from the permitted area on the jetty.

Also is anchoring banned within the 100metre mark?

No, anchoring / boating is permitted, it is the activity of fishing that is not allowed in this area.Hope that helps answer your questions.TroyFisheries OfficerBirkenhead
Growing up down at Pt Noarlunga it was always a summer favourite to park the boat in shore of the reef and snorkel around with mates and family within a reasonable distance as not to freak the old lady out (she hated swimming in open water !!)Later in the years as a driver of the IRB's (surf life saver) for Porties I had the joy of trying to impart this knowldege to many a boaties that thought it was ok to anchor and fish right on top of the reef. Needless to say it wasn't always taken on board...another reason why I still keep fisheries phone number in the mobile !!This kind of information helps the sytem remain one of our best in the state and still a favourite for divers, snorkelers and swimmers alike.Thanks again Troy:clap: