How big is this Snapper????

Posted ImageHow big do you reckon this fish is, pounds kilo's or cm???This fish was caught in the Spencer Gulf.I think of this fish as my PB Snapper :) but I never measured it and I never weighed it. So far I've caught a 99cm Snapper and got a few 98cm, but I like to think this one was a 1 meter 20lber ????It is definately the hardest snapper I'd fought..... This fish hit a live squid and ran and ran. A lot of snapper don't like to come UP. This one was hard to bring IN, it ran a very long way. Infact my mate got worried I would be spooled and backed his boat up on her. (I'm not real proud of that fact, but it was a couple of years back lol April 2009 I think??)Anyway, the blood is from my other mate who never having gaffed a fish in his life, decided it was a great time to practice :ohmy: I let him know that the gaff was in him next if he missed :)The fish went home with a mate at the ramp who had a BBQ planned (I couldn't release her because of the depth and the gaff wound :evil: )Very fantastic fight.... Very heavy fish for my sore arms and an incredible memoryBut can any objective set of eyes pick it's size/weight ???? No offense to be taken lol
Guest boys day out
Posted ImageHow big do you reckon this fish is' date=' pounds kilo's or cm???This fish was caught in the Spencer Gulf.I think of this fish as my PB Snapper :) but I never measured it and I never weighed it. So far I've caught a 99cm Snapper and got a few 98cm, but I like to think this one was a 1 meter 20lber ????It is definately the hardest snapper I'd fought..... This fish hit a live squid and ran and ran. A lot of snapper don't like to come UP. This one was hard to bring IN, it ran a very long way. Infact my mate got worried I would be spooled and backed his boat up on her. (I'm not real proud of that fact, but it was a couple of years back lol April 2009 I think??)Anyway, the blood is from my other mate who never having gaffed a fish in his life, decided it was a great time to practice :ohmy: I let him know that the gaff was in him next if he missed :)The fish went home with a mate at the ramp who had a BBQ planned (I couldn't release her because of the depth and the gaff wound :evil: )Very fantastic fight.... Very heavy fish for my sore arms and an incredible memoryBut can any objective set of eyes pick it's size/weight ???? No offense to be taken lol[/quote']All I can say is well done Nice :woohoo: :woohoo: :clap: :clap:
Measure your finger nail in the pic' date=' then see how many times it goes the length of the snapper than measure the actual width of your nail and times it by how many times it fits in the photo, gives you a rough idea on its length[/quote']
I was going to say measure from the tip of your thumb to the tip of your index finger and use that as the scale to see how many times it fits,, either way should work and give you a decent idea:) I'll say 99.9cm:whistle: :laugh: cheers

Turns out you learn a lot from this site. Weaver's fingernail measure suggestion is the only one that seemed to work.Fishing diary says this fish was caught 10/2/2009... It's funny how your memory of the day and even the picture you take can blur the facts.My fingernail is 1.4cms long...Posted ImageI'll spare you the counting, turns out the fish was 92.4cms using the 'fingernail' method lol.Spose it's a good enough excuse to get out and have a crack at something bigger.

Having read this post and having caught my 2nd or even 3rd 9.0Kilo fish had seen a few at this size.It was because of this I was going to say 18-20lb and did fear that some of the other fish of around 98-99cm ARE NO DOUBT IN FACT YOUR PB FISH.if youve caught 98&99cm fish then you have well and truely cracked 20lb in fact I would say closer to the 10kg mark.

Turns out you learn a lot from this site. Weaver's fingernail measure suggestion is the only one that seemed to work.Fishing diary says this fish was caught 10/2/2009... It's funny how your memory of the day and even the picture you take can blur the facts.My fingernail is 1.4cms long...Posted ImageI'll spare you the counting' date=' turns out the fish was 92.4cms using the 'fingernail' method lol.Spose it's a good enough excuse to get out and have a crack at something bigger.[/quote']Well done jack :clap::fishing: Just dont start biting your fingernails between taking the photo and measuring later :side: :whistle:
My 2c' date=' Matching the length against a fish of the same species wouldn't necessarily give you the same weight, as fish differ in shape,size & from area to area.[/quote']Yeah good point mate.We have a family fishing trophy :blink: That was started my my great grandfather. Each year in July we get the new name engraved on it. The trophy is for the biggest fish and so we go on length. Which does cause a few whispers through the year lol. But generally the biggest fish is a Snapper, so it's kinda fair.Since a lot of people (most) consider the weight of the fish the measure of size, I wouldn't mind getting myself some scales at some stage. I don't know if the lip scales would damage a fish if I was planning on releasing it??? I understand that supporting the belly is important tothe fishes survival, and with a healthy Snapper, it's hard enough making sure it's not out the water long and the air bladder has the air released.Since the end of this financial year will see me once again a boat owner, I wouldn't mind knowing some option that people use to weigh fish that are to be released????P.sThis is fish must be my PB then. caught off Ardrossan october last year... We launched from St Kilda though.... Long trip.... And I'm spewin I didn't get it weighed at the kiosk for the comp. But I thought the comp ran from November??? Anyway, here's the pic for our family comp :)Posted Image