Prefered Purchased Bait

G'Day allJust as a matter of interest on others thoughts on purchased bait, i.e. Pillies.I have used my fair share of purchased pillies over the years and have found that one particular brand of pillie seem to work the best for me and are of a high quality,I have tried other brands but the one i am now using have out gunned all the others.Does anyone have these same sort of view. :whistle: ;) Or have i just been lucky.:whistle:

Hey champ, good question, i always think of that when buying bait and tackle, why is this one cheaper, im new to beach fishing but not new to fishing, the last few years ive gone from cockles to pilchards to squid to mullet mix. i found with the pilchards and squid that cheaper ones were crap and old looking, be good to hear what others thnk

if im chasing mullies and have too use purchased bait i tend too lean towards sauries justt for the simple fact they hold on well and have a high oil content and just about anything that swims will eat them ,although if im just chasing salmon at porties or the likes i usually just grab the salted pillies down at anglers stuffed i know the brand just know there in a blue bag and for the fish im chasing at i think its $4.50 a bag they get me plenty of fish ,i try too stay away from buying squid most of the time dont think ive ever really fond any decent frozen squid yet .MM

I've never really taken notice of any brands, I usually use brined pillies over fresh because of durability as most of my fishing is off the beach. I do make sure the brined pillies I choose are firm to the touch because I think that means they haven't been sitting in the bait fridge for too long. I get mixed results but I am used to that, If I don't catch anything then the fish aren't there, If i do catch something it's probably a fluke :boot:

Hahaha great topic.... Because I always just ask for a block o pillies lol just like you though, not the salted ones.... Never notice the brand etc.Maybe I should pay a bit more attention :blink: but ya can't beat slimey's lol they even catch ya more slimey's. Shame they freeze so crap :( so pillies it is :)Yeah love to here more of this secret pillie business

i tend towards more sauries now as MM said and once they have all gone crap and mushy ill keep it all and make my own burley blocks and what not... as i work in a recycle depot i just grab all the tins and tubs and what not mix all my stuff together and chuck em in the freezer out in the shed :)

Im finding it hard to give a preferred bait, without it being asked in connection with a particular species Rick. I always stay away from buying bait if I can, preferring to catch it, but it takes ages to pick up all those maggots out of a dead sheep sometimes :whistle:With cockles having gone thru the roof, its kind of changed the equation for many ppl too I think .Overall I dont think you can beat the old Pilly, then again, we even caught some of those recently too :ohmy: :blink:

Yeah love to here more of this secret pillie business

Had ruggers slamming brined pillies and vitutally ignore fresh ones at the same time :ohmy: :huh: :whistle:

Im finding it hard to give a preferred bait' date=' without it being asked in connection with a particular species Rick. I always stay away from buying bait if I can, preferring to catch it, but it takes ages to pick up all those maggots out of a dead sheep sometimes :whistle:With cockles having gone thru the roof, its kind of changed the equation for many ppl too I think .Overall I dont think you can beat the old Pilly, then again, we even caught some of those recently too :ohmy: :blink:AFF i am not asking in question on specific species targeted but on what purchased bait works better for the person. As i have read in the replys people do have different opinions, in which i find interesting.I would over all prefer live bait as many others would agree, but some times this cannot be obtained so therefore i would buy bait.It is just my belief that certain brands work better than others.As for maggots, to me a maggot is a maggot then there's gents :lol: :lol: :lol: :woohoo:

Yeah love to here more of this secret pillie business

Had ruggers slamming brined pillies and vitutally ignore fresh ones at the same time :ohmy: :huh: :whistle:

howdy guys,i have found that the food grade boxes of lincoln pillies the go,i usually buy a box and prepack into smaller ziplock bags of around a dozen or so.also works out alot cheaper than buying blocks and are a far superior bait.i have always found unsalted baits far more attractive than salted or brined but in saying that salted baits will catch fish.pillies go soft if allowed to thaw quickly and if left in the sun will usually render them bereley,but with a little effort you can usually keep them in a half frozen state while fishing and get good value out of the smaller packs.the good thing about doing it this way aswell is if you are returning home after a session the smaller frozen packs can the be put back into the deep freeze for next time,hope this helps,cheers.:)

If using pillies I always run the IQF ones as bait. The block ones are crap and turn to much as soon as they are thawed. Only grab as many as you need at a time from the esky so they go on the hooks mostly frozen. Block pillies are a berley only option for me.

Well said Borry. I only use block pilchards for cubing.The only baits I buy are boxes of small california squid from Anglers Choice. A slightly dear bait option but was turning them into big RED nuggets every cast some nights but other nights had pirahnas eating 15bux worht of squid in no time flat.I do buy the old tommy for just incase the pickers are around but even then the tommies get demolished.SO small squid for me...and up until a year ago, If you had said I would be buying smaller squid from a tackle store, I would have told you you were nuts, but they are the ideal size to go straight down a big fishes hatch.comeout of the packet easily when thawing and seem to be loved by big fish down south at the moment.

If using pillies I always run the IQF ones as bait. The block ones are crap and turn to much as soon as they are thawed. Only grab as many as you need at a time from the esky so they go on the hooks mostly frozen. Block pillies are a berley only option for me.

What's "IQF" mean mate :blush:? Sounds good as I know what you're saying in regards to block pilchards.And can you get em at your average tackle shop?thanks in advance

What's "IQF" mean mate :blush:? Sounds good as I know what you're saying in regards to block pilchards.And can you get em at your average tackle shop?thanks in advance
Yes mate we sell them here at Pacific Marine in 5kg bags or a 14kg box ;)
i just nomally use pilchards 4 berley ' date='if u want them to stay on when casting wrap cotton around them[/quote']ever tried this Cocky ?http://baitelastic.com/
You can buy it at tackle shops as baitmate or spider cocoon. It is a kind of elastic cotton and works real well to keep pillies on. We have used it a lot at salt creek.