Bower Rd Gates Port/Westlakes

Just needing a shove in the right direction to find out when these gates are supposed to be open.My understanding is they only open them when the tide is low.This works pretty well, but on the odd occasion I still get it wrong and end up fishing elsewhere because they are shut.It's good to have options around there, but can anyone tell me more accurately how it works?? Or somewhere I can find the info???Cheers

My understanding is they only open them when the tide is low.This works pretty well' date=' but on the odd occasion I still get it wrong and end up fishing elsewhere because they are shutIt's good to have options around there, but can anyone tell me more accurately how it works?? [/quote']I've fished there a fair bit in the last couple of years and i still get caught out as well,your theory is correct but it varies on the size of the tides.If we have a Low High or a High Low or little movement like a dodge then the general principles go out the window.....i think we need a Hydrologist :dry: cheers brenton

Well I hear now from the grapevine that the gates are operated by a gravity system of somesort..... So no wonder I can't work the bloody things out 100%.... And you're exactly right Brenton cheers :)@AFF I will ring the council and see what extra info I can get hold of.... It's about time I sussed this out ;)

• 2 weeks later...

I think you will find the gates at West Lakes are operated by DETI. The level has to be maintained Too low and some of the concrete structures around the perimeter will be adversely affected Too high and the problem is obvious. West Lakes carries a lot of storm water A lot of storm water enters from behind the tin fence at Trimmer Parade end a lot enters from somewhere near the rowing club at the other end. At times of big rains the gates are just left open to allow storm water to escape At other times the level is monitored using the incoming or outgoing tide and gates at each end. All this makes it almost impossible to predict the position of the gates unless you contact DETI

• 6 years later...