Sun Fish in the Port River....

those things are as heavy as .......... we used too get them as by catch on the east coast workin tuna longliners youd find even a fish of that size would be extremely hard too try and get onboard,occasinally our old skipper would ask us too drag 1 up as his family would eat em .Too me its just an overgrown leather jacket but they have a rather hard body and head ugly as s%^t too.seems weird how its made its way up the gulf and into the port as we used too get them about 10hrs steam offshore .They also eat dead squid and fresh mackeralan yellow tail scad baits if anyones keen too try and have a crack at it although i dont recomend eating em or evening too close too those choppers either they used too make a mess out of commercial grade 12/0 hooks .good luck if anyone hooks up it wont be the fastest run youll ever get but id say youll have fun stopping it though .MM

Be something different to say you've caught and released a sunfish though.If it knows whats good for itself though it will get out of that filthy river quick smart before it succumbs to chemical poisoning :sick:

thats right mate your bound too get some knobhead trying too catch it thats just the way it is ,your right though most real fishos wont bother it maybe go for a look thats about it ,guess thats 1 of the down sides of so many media outlets these days things can be online 5 minutes after their reported then it spreads like wild fire .MM

Be something different to say you've caught and released a sunfish though.If it knows whats good for itself though it will get out of that filthy river quick smart before it succumbs to chemical poisoning :sick:

You would look like a tosser if it died! after catching it.... Just leave it alone.....Sambo

You would look like a tosser if it died! after catching it.... Just leave it alone.....Sambo
Hahaha i would never try to catch it in the port. that would be plain selfish as it would scare it away and the others wouldn't get a chance to see it.If i was out say tuna fishing off coffins and saw one offshore i can't say for sure that i wouldn't have a crack at it with my saltiga combo! Of course i would let it go unharmed if i did.Shouldn't really be different to catching and releasing any fish.Probably the best lure to use would be a clear plastic bag. Can't think of anything else that would better imitate a jellyfish :laugh:

maybe i should of put a LOL after my comment . I never would target a sun fish or any thing rare for that matter . It is awesome to see that the port is , or maybe clean enough to support a nomad like this sun fish . Ya never know , it might come back with friends next time . And that would be even better to see .

Only HERO's will be out there trying..... MOST respectful fisho's will stay away.... We have a Kayak mini comp in the Port sunday..... we will be keeping well away if we see it ;) Sambo

Good luck......by then you'll probably have to dodge half the Japanese whaling fleet and the Rainbow Warrior.......let alone all the "sight-seers" looking for it....