STEAK, the perfect steak?

nah not the big boy' date=' its about quality not quantity.I'd rather fully enjoy a smaller steak than be totally stuffed struggling through a monster just wanting to get to the end of it.The filet mignon was pretty awesome (what isn't better with bacon?) as well as the hereford porterhouse.Definitely have to plan a trip down that way again.[/quote']
I totally agree 'quality not quantity'though I like watching people strugle with the monster:sick: I go to a lot of free work functions out there with the missus's employer:) Desserts are the only thing that isn't better with bacon although Hestons bacon and egg flavoured ice cream is soposed to be great!
  • 2 weeks later...

ive tried most of " Adelaides Top Steak Houses" or so they claim..Sostas, Gouchos, Argentinian Bar n Grill, BA Brassier, Stag, Elephant and Castle, some english pub out in eastern suburbs... and the bbq Grill down at the bay.. which FAILED hard.. whats your thoughts on best steak house in Adelaide?? best commercially available steak dinner?? at at what prices?

Its probably sad, but I still love the OLD "Hogs Breath Cafe" for a good steak.But did you ever notice but the best steak you can get is one paid for by someone else. ie if its FREE, it will taste so dam good.Yet to go to Gauco's but did try a steak that you cook on a hot rock/slab in the city on some balcony that was bloody nice..opposite the railway station.

whats your thoughts on best steak house in Adelaide?? best commercially available steak dinner??

Gauchos on Gouger St would have to rate as one of the best I've tried in Adelaide, but the perfect steak is actually sitting in my camp oven slowly roasting away as we speak! ;)

I know this is an SA forum and I'm a proud south Aussie, but when I lived in QLD, I found steak heaven at the "Breakfast Creek Hotel" made famous by the midnight oil song.... BUT more famous for it's steaks.... You don't order from the menu, you CHOOSE your raw slab from the window, they lift it out with a crane that would dwarf the outer harbour docks :P and cook it to perfection......The one and only good thing about QLD... That and the Barra at lake Awonga ;)

i like mine sooooo rare that i havent been able to catch it yet :P but on some ocasions i have been know to use some good light soy sauce and soak the steak min 1" 2" is better in the soya over nite then remove in the morning and return to the fridge 1hr before cooking rub some sea salt in to the fat/ slice a fresh garlic clove in half and rub both sides then give a rub with a fresh sprig of rosemary. now coat with a good olive oil preheat grill to v hot drop steak on after 30 secs turn 90 and put on a new area of grill proceed to cook as desired( i like mine still twitching) how ever make sure the fat is under the hottest part of the grill (heart problems be dammed)that reminds me im hungary anyone for steak :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap:

• 11 months later...

Best Streak in Adelaide is at the Bayside Barbeque on Jetty road opposite where wallace cinema's used to be. Its not a flash looking place but the food is amazing!

Try the Stag in town Skudded. ;) :woohoo: :clap: Beautifully cooked aged steaks of all sorts. Bit pricey but well worth it,One night I saw a group of guys tackling the rump steaks ( One Kilo each ) and thought the meal should be served with either a stomach pump or an ambul;ance on standby :blink::lol: They do a plate of spare ribs that feeds two easily, working out to a cheaper and tasty alternative ;)

Get yourself a cast iron Japanese Hibachi grill,some charcoal(not heat beads),a decent cut of Porterhouse,Fillet or a nice T Bone and some salt and pepper.Dry marinate the steak by rubbing in a generous amount of salt and pepper on both sides and let it sit for an hour or two at room temperature.When the grill is nice and hot drop your steak on for 4 minutes.Turn for 4 minutes and it's ready.Some of my mates have got BBQs worth thousands of dollars and their steaks don't even come close. :) And don't get me started on Pizza ovens. :lol:

Get yourself a cast iron Japanese Hibachi grill' date='some charcoal(not heat beads),a decent cut of Porterhouse,Fillet or a nice T Bone and some salt and pepper.Dry marinate the steak by rubbing in a generous amount of salt and pepper on both sides and let it sit for an hour or two at room temperature.When the grill is nice and hot drop your steak on for 4 minutes.Turn for 4 minutes and it's ready.Some of my mates have got BBQs worth thousands of dollars and their steaks don't even come close. :) And don't get me started on Pizza ovens. :lol:[/quote']I've had a Hibachi for 25 years,and agree,is a great way to do a steak B) Another good steak I've had was from a mates "chimenea"...........Mexican (?) I reckon.......good old clay type wood fired oven,similar to pizza oven,but different.........if that makes sense?........not the cast iron type from Bunnings etc.........mmmmmmmmm,better than sex............more tender and pleasurable at my age B)
  • 5 months later...
Get yourself a cast iron Japanese Hibachi grill' date='some charcoal(not heat beads),a decent cut of Porterhouse,Fillet or a nice T Bone and some salt and pepper.Dry marinate the steak by rubbing in a generous amount of salt and pepper on both sides and let it sit for an hour or two at room temperature.When the grill is nice and hot drop your steak on for 4 minutes.Turn for 4 minutes and it's ready.Some of my mates have got BBQs worth thousands of dollars and their steaks don't even come close. :) And don't get me started on Pizza ovens. :lol:[/quote']You're on the money!! I do mine very similar:-Rub with olive oil and lots of fresh ground pepper (no salt yet as I find it can dry the steak out)-Stand steak for 1hour minimum to get to room temp-Pre-heat WeberQ on high for 10min with lid down-Cook 3-4min each side (depending on thickness) on high with lid down turning only once-Let rest for 5min on warm plate with alfoil over the top so juices equalise-Lots of sea salt-Devour I'm very impressed with my Q I got a year ago - does a great job!

have been known to do a 1kg steak challenge in 12 minutes.. after a dozen oysters kilpatric and a plate of salad..then again.. was a member of a steak club called Dead Cow Appreciation Society... ;)hence eating top rated steaks at every place in adelaide that advertised " best steaks in adelaide"