How to spot a gutter in the Surf

Hi Guys,I am heading down to the Coorong this easter (between 28 mile crossing and Kingston) and will have a go at some Surf fishing while down that way. I have only done surf fishing once before and was lucky enough to get a salmon and Mulloway. Begineers luck :clap: Can any of the experienced land based fisho's help me know what I should be looking for to find a good gutter in the surf? I usualy am in the boat so finding the right spot on the beach is a lot different.Cheers,Woody71

darker water can indicate a gutter. and not many waves crashing in that area. the waves crash in shallower water and wash or roll over the gutters. they can crash, roll over the gutter and crash again.just watch the water for a while, you start noticing things.you can also walk the beach at low tide to see areas that will fill up on high tide, although they can move around.

darker coloured water can indicate depth........so can a weed bed.......sometimes a "trap"an area of "still water" with waves breaking seaward and shoreward of it will indicate a gutter alsodon't be fooled into thinking that the water in the gutter isn't "deep enough".....with a good mix of berley,and the cloak of darkness,you would be hard pressed to miss out.over berleying will always result in rays.good luck

You wont have a problem picking a gutter between the 28 mile and kingston as the beach has a gutter virtually all the way along. However pick your tides and fish around the high tide as the beach is generally shallower along this stretch. The deeper "blue" water will stand out and as long as your not looking at last light or first thing then a gutter will be easy to find.

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks all.I found the best was a combination of the darker water and watching the swell. We were lucky enough to be on private ptoperty and able to get into the dunes to get a good look. No mullys but a few sharks.Had a good time anyway.Cheers Woody.

Bit late with my reply, No swell in a particular part of the beach can mean either a deep sandy gutter, a deep rocky gutter or a weedy/deep gutter. What I have found best is a wave that is breaking on shallow water and then stops breaking(deep water). this is the edge of your gutter. This area will only get deeper on a high tide so start here at the end of the low. Don't be scared of white water in the surf or off the rocks, these spots can hold good fish. as with most fishing get on the edge of a channel/drop off because it offers protection for bait fish