Best way to attach lures.....

Hi all,Just trying to drag the waters to see what people opinions are about the best way to join lures to leader..... I haven't done much luring for the last few years and after everyones ideas advice whether line straight to lure or snap swivel or similiar would be best....I've had a look and can't find anywhere (without going through all of the forums) showing different knots, rig assemblies etc.CheersChad

i cant find those small lure clips anywere. were do u get urs from?

They are called "fly clips" available at most good tackle outlets.I find them very small and fiddly, and difficult to unclasp and clasp, especially with cold fingers. Sometimes it's far easier and faster to discard them and just tie a loop knot instead.
i cant find those small lure clips anywere. were do u get urs from?
They are called "fly clips" available at most good tackle outlets.I find them very small and fiddly' date=' and difficult to unclasp and clasp' date=' especially with cold fingers. Sometimes it's far easier and faster to discard them and just tie a loop knot instead.[/quote'']Good set of long nose pliers does the trick on the clips.;)

Can't speak for the salties but we freshies luv them "decoy" bait snaps with no swivels on them in the 00 size. As Ranger says, they are fiddly,but, almost invisible in the water attached to a flurocarbon leader and carry a promise of 18 kg breaking strain Sportfishing Scene Salisbury, Kym's the MAN! :clap::clap: :clap:

Depends on what action your trying to impart on the lure and what type of lure your using. Homer Rhodes Knot' date=' Perfection loop, Clinched blood knot. :boot:[/quote']Could you elaborate on that for me? ie: how the knots relate to the action, what knot suits which style of lure, etc?

I use decoy clips for all my lure fishing in "00" After about 30-40 lure changes, my fingers are stuffed so i use my pliers to change them. After about 60 changes the clip is bent and mangled so i tie a new one on. People tell me the clips will stop the lure swimming properly,but i can see how, there is no restriction on the lure, and it is free to move around....

Im the same with my small lures and squid jags, using decoy egg snaps in 00. They weigh nothing so i cant see that they are any different to tying a loop knot. With snapper soft plastics and chrome slices for salmon i use an uni or clinched blood knot from the leader straight to lure.If im switching between bait and lures for salmon i have a good quality snap swivel that is tied on with a uni knot. Using big lures, i dont think the swivel makes any difference to a hungry fish.

I always use a Lefty's loop knot with tying on certain lures like Surface and Hardbodies that don't have the split rings on them but other than that I use the blood knot as I said before. ;)With the Lefty's loop knot as with all knots it pays to practice heaps so that when you do hook up to something you know that your knots wont fail you. :)

No swivels needed at all for all soft plastics and hard bodys the only lures you WILL need swivels with are the "Celta" style spinners with the blade which rotates on the lures axis! These lures are great fish catchers but are total shockers for causing line twist :ohmy: Two swivels help and an anti-kink vane works as well. I wont bother with them, mine were "binned" long ago for my style of fishing ;)

Depends on what action your trying to impart on the lure and what type of lure your using. Homer Rhodes Knot' date=' Perfection loop' date=' Clinched blood knot. :boot:[/quote'']Could you elaborate on that for me? ie: how the knots relate to the action, what knot suits which style of lure, etc?
Yo Ranger how goes mate?I like to use a Homer Rhode Knot when using heavy mono. I use it when saltwater flyfishing as well as for soft plastics and hard body its pretty much the only knot I use for attaching all my lures and most flies. The Homer Rhode allows the lure or fly to act more naturally in the water and dosen't inpede on it's action.Having said that I use a Clinced blood knot when using 3 Nymphs on a dropper up in the lakes as the fly will hang in the water better and tying a Homer Rhode small enough would do my eyes in.Hope this helps dude ;) Cheers 1Fish
Depends on what action your trying to impart on the lure and what type of lure your using. Homer Rhodes Knot' date=' Perfection loop' date=' Clinched blood knot. :boot:[/quote'']Could you elaborate on that for me? ie: how the knots relate to the action, what knot suits which style of lure, etc?
Yo Ranger how goes mate?I like to use a Homer Rhode Knot when using heavy mono. I use it when saltwater flyfishing as well as for soft plastics and hard body its pretty much the only knot I use for attaching all my lures and most flies. The Homer Rhode allows the lure or fly to act more naturally in the water and dosen't inpede on it's action.Having said that I use a Clinced blood knot when using 3 Nymphs on a dropper up in the lakes as the fly will hang in the water better and tying a Homer Rhode small enough would do my eyes in.Hope this helps dude ;) Cheers 1Fish
Goes good, and I trust likewise! Thanks for the explanation! ;)
  • 3 weeks later...