happened upon this today...

Geez they get big sometimes' date='i've seen them up nth where from a distance it looks like there is a person standing on the road.Some of those pics are great. cheers brenton[/quote']I was driving across the nullabor one time and thought there were two people standing on the side of the road.... As I got closer I thought they were kneeling at the side of the road.... Then shocked to realize it was actually two huge wedgetails!!!! They were having a feed of roadkill.Great pics Nev... Awesome :)

Those wedgetails can be a right menace driving up and down the country highways.Driving to and from Coober Pedy always had to be careful and slow right down when I saw them feeding on roadkill in the distance and toot the horn at them to give them time to ever so slowly waddle off the road out the way.Once they have had a good feed they are not too eager to move and can do a fair amount of damage to your car if you hit em.

Those wedgetails can be a right menace driving up and down the country highways.Driving to and from Coober Pedy always had to be careful and slow right down when I saw them feeding on roadkill in the distance and toot the horn at them to give them time to ever so slowly waddle off the road out the way.Once they have had a good feed they are not too eager to move and can do a fair amount of damage to your car if you hit em.

yeah i hear ya... my bro hit one on the way to broken hill a few yrs ago... he was lucky as he just glanced it.he said it took a long time to get into the air, and he just clipped it... but didnt kill it.. i just love seeing them.. i sat there for 15 mins i reckon until he flew off further away
Geez they get big sometimes' date='i've seen them up nth where from a distance it looks like there is a person standing on the road.Some of those pics are great. cheers brenton[/quote']I was driving across the nullabor one time and thought there were two people standing on the side of the road.... As I got closer I thought they were kneeling at the side of the road.... Then shocked to realize it was actually two huge wedgetails!!!! They were having a feed of roadkill.Great pics Nev... Awesome :)
Yeah, they can be pretty huge out on the Nullarbor, missed a few myself. I came across a fella at the Caiguna truck stop/motel who collected one in a VW SBV van and it pushed in the front left hand corner and destroyed his LH suspension. He reckoned the thing took a few minutes to come too and the just flew off lol.Great pics anyhow.
  • 7 months later...

see them all the time.. and love it! the WEdgey is actually my bus mascot!!!fully grown can have a wing span up to 3m across!!! ive been lucky many times to come close to them while on tour. the crew love it! part of the problem with them getting hit is when they take off they often use the hot thermals from the road to provide lift.. hence they fly down the road a bit or across it on initial take off.

Love em !! usually one of the first things we see when touching down in Darwin.Had to drive out to Kunnanara for the opening of an airfield once and had a big boy hit the windscreen...very sad. How it didn't smash it I will never know.Love the way they sit so high circling around, especially in groups.Saw a nice sized hawk hit the fresh water after a redfin today from around 40m up. Great site.