Fish Catchers vs Fish Eaters

Thought I'd throw this out as a topic for discussion, as I personally know a few people who happily catch fish, but (a) can't be bothered to eat them, or (B) find the idea of actually eating a fish repugnant.This probably opens up a much wider topic of what actually motivates people to fish - but I'm just curious to get a feel for a rough percentage of anglers out there who aren't fish eaters.I'll nail my colours to the mast here - I LOVE fish and seafood in general.Cheersaf

Not many fish I won't eat and especially through summer eat fish 3-4 times a week.However... many species I hold close and will release unless in knowledge they won't swim away...trout, bream etc...You will always fin redfin, whiting (both YFW and KGW) garfish, snapper and squid in my freezer as these are the main species my wife and son love to eat.Don't mind a feed of salmon, mullet, leatheries and other species most people don't like..but hey...each to their own.Many mates love to fish but don't know how to fillet and there for don't bother keeping any or just take a few for family members. Some just don't like eating them full stop and can't knock them for that either..more for me :)One thing it is good to see is more and more people are practising C&R and are more educated in the ways of releasing them properly giving them every chance of letting them swim away.One things for sure...fishing is a great way of life either way!

I'm a fish catcher (and releaser).......Can't stand the taste or smell of fish when it comes to cooking/eating themGuess I am a fisherman because my dad got me onto it as a kid, and its something I have grown up doing (kept me outta trouble as they say LoL)

I call myself a C&R fisherman. I will do almost whatever it takes to release bream, mulloway and Snapper.But you'll NEVER see me release a KG,yellowfin whiting or any snapper 45-55cm. I sometimes take salmon trout, and make battered fish pieces for me and my 5yr old. We sit and eat em with a selection of dipping sauces :) :)Squid, gar and tommies are good bait :whistle:

Squid' date=' gar and tommies are good bait :whistle:[/quote']Yes...yes they are, very tasty bait:laugh: Smoked fresh tommies, fresh gar doen in bread crumbs...I could eat 100...and squid...don't get me stared, extremely versatile for all types of cooking, expecially asian:clap: ....hmmm...might have to go cook some up now to munch on while I watch UFC

I am just lazy and cant be bothered cleaning the fish :lol: Squid i catch goes into the bait draw in my freezer, Tho next time i clean up on the tommies, the smoker will get fired up.I have a pretty killer fish n chip shop down the road, so if i feel like fish i go there.... :lol:

I take great pride and pleasure in securing my legally allowed quota for the table. Its nice to look upon your success at the end of the day. I love cleaning them and preparing them properly for the table. Its great to have friends over and feeding them the fruits of your efforts. Its great to roll up and lay some fish on friends and family. I get the same amount of pride and pleasure releasing a trophy trout and some other species to be caught again and for the purposes of sustainability. Its great to see the fish returned to its home unharmed.I just love to fish :clap:

I'm not a big fish eater at all.Partial to a bit of Flathead.Or Snapper,either in a really wonderful fish pie that Mrs Tyke makes or in a Green Thai curry ( big chunks of snapper shallow fried and chucked in at the last minute)Mrs Tyke loves fish and so do most of our friends - it will never go to waste.Agree with Jack's comment on Squid,Gar and Tommies..........:P :P

I'm pretty particular about my seafood. Tablefare includes:CocklesYabbiesSquidCrabTommies (smoked)KG & Yellowfin WhitingFlatheadShark (contrary to opinions of others)Redfin (a recent addition upon actually trying this flesh)Small Snapper (38-45cm)At times I will take lesser species for the smoker (Slimey Mackeral and Salmon Trout)The majority of my fishing apart from these species is solely C&R.

I must admit, I was very surprised with the quality of Redfin.I cooked it in the simplest fashion, free from any flavouring or seasoning, so that I could appreciate the natural flavour of the flesh.I found it to have a slightly "spicy" flavour, and fantastic eating.........once I realised that it's impossible to remove the scales, and that the fish should be cooked scales on, with the skin/scales peeled of post cooking.

Love all of it, with the exception of shellfish, but return 95% of fish landed. I dont target 'food' species very often though but take a feed only of salmon trout when having a session on them (sometimes a few for Nan too) and will gladly accept whiting and the like from a mate who has a boat. Until now my main focus has been bream and mully fishing and they all go back! I am also looking forward to reddies when I start fresh water fishing. I have only eaten them once and I think they were improperly prepared and cook as well as being on the same plate as callop but from what I have read can hold their own on the table.Other than the the thrill of the chase it is the fresh air, exercise, commraderie, scenery and the serenity that keeps me wetting a line week in week out

I've never liked eating fish.But for as long as I can remember (and longer so my parents tell me) I've loved catching them.Its all about the relaxation in the open air and the adrenaline rush of finally getting something on the line.My wife loves seafood though so if I catch a good eating fish I occasionally take one home for her.

I would have to say Im C&R because Im too lazy to clean em up.I only ever keep enough for one or two feeds and the rest go back whether its KGW snapper flathead shark bream or any thing else thats silly enough to be caught.I just like being on the water in kayak or boat.

love catching.. love eating.. only thing that hasnt taken my fancy so far has been morten baybugs.. tasted rather soapy when i tried them last time..i grew up in coffins bay land based fishing.. and i love all teh table fish available from the local areas. i enjoy many species that others dont.. such as salmon.. as a good preparation and cleaning properly these fish can taste fantastic. another of my favourites is beer batered tomies!! when caught fresh and cooked that day... dam good!! most of my fresh water fishing is done catch and release though. only a couple of trout have ever been kept.. but a lot of reddies!! Redddies taste fantastic!!!

i enjoy many species that others dont.. such as salmon.. as a good preparation and cleaning properly these fish can taste fantastic. another of my favourites is beer batered tomies!! when caught fresh and cooked that day... dam good!!

Mate couldn't agree more.Love tommies..love salmon...BUT..Has to be that day. I occasionally eat St's if they have been in the freezer for less than a fortnight, but they normally go into either the smoker, green thai curries or thai patties.Beer battered tommies...I could eat it all day. Great snack to have with a few beers.Saw a good recipe for chopper tailer today which would be just as good for ST's...soon to try..coat fillets in curry powder, pinch of salt and sugar, butter in the pan then add cream right at the end and reduce...looked awesome !!

I love all seafood and my main passion is cooking/preparing fish... from raw sashimi and sushi to just about any other way of preparing.... pan fried, sousing, smoked, bbq'ed etcI caught a nice red mullet yesterday and chucked him in a bucket of water I was using to wash my hands after handling my stinky snapper bait and I didn't like how he was looking at me with his sorrowful eyes, so I released him back into the water again :( ... I must be getting soft :blush:

As a ex chef I find Highfly's comments explain it all.I like everything out of the ocean but some need to be done on the day. Have found that Snook caught on the day and bled is actually one of my favourites. I actually find whiting boring. No texture, plain..Love shellfish, squid and Occy. Actually one thing I have had I didnt like was Sea Urchin roe. Mate of mine Chew gave me some a couple of years back. Smelly socks come to mind..We are hunting, sometimes on the water sometimes in it so make the most of your success.Fishie, I have been getting some help from an asian mate of mine in Sushimi, you know they actually prefer the flesh to be a couple of days old. They wrap the cut sections in paper towel to absorb the moisture and store for 3 days. Then when they slice it its like butter.

I like most fish but for some reason seem to think that I dont like snook although it seems like I have never actually cooked any of the snook Ive caught..so its really weird that I can think I dont like it!!:whistle: I really enjoy catching snapper to keep and eat, and a few years ago, my dad used to catch plenty of Big KG's and although nice they didnt compare to fresh garfish.I think the tastiest fish in our gulfs that is easy for most boaters to catch has to be the good old gardy.:woohoo: :woohoo: I do eat the occasional trout I catch, but eating them is very rare now, as I prefer to release most of em now.I keep telling myself that I will be releasing more reds than ever, but cant wait to put that self promise into action. There is nothing more exciting than having a big Red thump its tail, splash some water as it swims off powerfully to be caught another day. Best release was an 11-12kilo red that nearly broke my wrist.So my take on it is there is nothing wrong with catching a feed as long as you do it sustainably and when you dont need a feed try not to take them home for anyone but close friends and family.Im also not a huge fan of double bag limits or going out one day getting your bag and then repeating the same the next day. If youve taken your bag the first day, catch n release on the second day.Cheers and happy releasing and eating to you all:d/ :d/ :d/ :clap: :clap:

Both.I enjoy catching fish to eat and to release.Its a good feeling to eat something you've caught yourself.My dad has always said if anyone asks for fish give them snook that way they'll never ask again!

Bleed the Snook as soon as its caught and place in a slurry. Gut and scale it and chop it into sections like your cutting a sausage. Sprinkle with salt and pepper and olive oil and cook on the BBQ just turning over. When they are cooked you get two sections of great meat and the bone just lifts out.Snook over 2 -3 days and not bled, dont taste half as good. They go all mushy.I dont mind Gar but would rather something else.Blue Eye Trevella is my favourite, followed by Maori Wrasse which are now protected, then Barramundi Cod which are the same. Spanish Mack is tasty..