best berley mix?

Guest Butters

Guest Butters

I'm currently in the process of making up some berley blocks.. trying out a few different ideas..I'm using smashed oyster shells, a few different (Sheldon {SMILIES_PATH}/cheesy.gif ) pellet mixes, bread, prawn shells, pilchards, tuna oil.. then filling the container with water so it all freezes together and can just pop out and drop in a burley bag..Crabs will be used when i go out for snapper... Any other ideas for some good burley ingredients??

I've mucked around with plenty of different types of berley. I reckon the one that works the best is the one you put the most amounts of ingredients into it. I use tuna oil, berley pellets, maggot juice berley, minced up pilchards, cockle shells, old bread, left over oils from cooking and anything i can get my hands on. The most important ingredient is aniseed oil. i mix up in big 20lt bucket and throw in a whole bottle of Aniseed oil. The fish love it but most importantly it makes the berley smell heaps better. I blend with water to get it wet and mushy. It freezes better this way. I put them in noodle cups or coffee cups when i freeze them. It gives the berley a good shape to put into a berley pot. I used some of my custom berley on Saturday in a lead based berley pot and it seems to work OK.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

For Garfish, I go to the Grain Store and get some Chook pellets, Bran and Meat meal, I get a white plastic bucket full for about $5, go to the bakery and get some stale bread, crumb that down, mix it all together, then add some Tuna oil to the amount you are going to use.If that dosen't work, then YOU will never, ever, be able to catch Garfish[/color:30ao9rs8]

• 7 months later...

A little gadget that I cobbled together a few years ago to prepare berley is an adapted "Insinkerator" An in sink, garbage disposal unit. This unit makes short work of crab shells and the like as well as macerating fish frames and heads. The set up is a double drainer sink, one side has a cutting/filleting board and the other holds the trays on which to place fillets etc. All the blood and guts, shells, frames and heads go down the sink. The plug hole is about 100mm diameter and the 1hp unit is capable of mashing chop bones. Underneath is room for a 20litre plastic container.(Chip fat drum or similar)with clip on lid. The more water that you let down the sink the finer the chopped berley. These units can often be picked up for around $25-$30from second hand building supplies but best get them with the purpose built sink.RogerG

• 11 months later...

heres one for the dedicated whiting fisho'sas this method comes from an old whiting fishoin streaky bay who used to have a cast iron hand mincer bolted on the back of his 14ft boat and whenhe would pull up on his favourite sand patchand send out a squid jag unda a floatand upon catching of a squid it would go striaght into the mincer point first and minced ova the side where it would creat a fresh burley trail downto a hungry school of kgw where he wouldget his quota every time,this can be adapted for other species by putting your frames ,pillies ect thrueg a handfull of pillies evvery 5 mins would create a great burley trail for snapps ,sharks anythingbut 1 thing for those that may try this when doing fresh squid have a bucket of water ready to wash the ink away so it dont stain.tight lines AB

• 2 months later...
  • 3 months later...

For those people that are freezing there berley a bit of Plain jelateen(sorry about spelling) mix (no flovour or colouring) will help it hold together longer, and release it slower. I also use one lt. Milk cartons with white screw caps to freeze my in. I to put any thing and every thing I can think off and get my hands on into the mix. :cheer:

Bundy wrote:

Don't forget to add the curry powder fellas. Works very nicely in the mix too! This can be used as a substitute for aniseed or vice-versa depending on which you have in the cupboard at the time.

I have also heard and add myself the freash or dryed garlic as well into the mix. I have heard of the curry Powder but have never use it, but well be in the next batch I make . Thanks Bundy :cheer: